Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

c5 aux input using cd changer wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 aux input using cd changer wires

So i'm wondering - similar to the opening the radio and splicing into the wires on the mobo to add an aux (which didn't work for me) can I splice into my CD changer wires (I have the 12 disk changer already) using the brown and green wires - see pic I stole form this site - and connecting to a ground while leaving the other wires intact. I'm thinking this will cause the radio to communicate with the changer allowing it to accept audio signal which will be piped from the aux plug. I'm fairly confident these are the "sound" wires (the ones with the blue plastic on the plug) - anyone know for sure?

I know I can buy an adapter but i'm a diy kinda guy and I like the idea of having a femal plug mounted somewhere I can plug into. Doing it this way I can also retain use of the 12 disk changer if I wire it to a switch.... that is if i'm correct about these wires.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

100 percent doable but I don't recall the colors it's in FAQ somewhere
Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Link to print of what you want to do HERE
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Thanks for that - Ill check it out

Last edited by rielcrazy; 05-15-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 AM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Originally Posted by markcz
Link to print of what you want to do HERE
Doesn't appear radio shack carries that any longer. Not sure what would be comperable
Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Use jack in this post
http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-ele...t-adapter.html
Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

I have that I'm talking about the relay in the diagram... I sorta got it to work but my changer is working sporadically so having a hard time testing it does anyone know if I need to disconnect the ground From the changer also or do I splice into it
Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

You only cut and tap into the audio wires, the other wires need to stay put so the changer keeps playing. If the HU doesn't think the changer is functioning properly this mod won't work.

Any 4PDT switch or relay will work for this, or even two that are only DPDT.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:04 AM
rielcrazy
Advanced

You only cut and tap into the audio wires, the other wires need to stay put so the changer keeps playing. If the HU doesn't think the changer is functioning properly this mod won't work.

Any 4PDT switch or relay will work for this, or even two that are only DPDT.
Yes i realize I only cut into the brown and green .... Here's where it's getting weird.... With the brown and green cut and the black (ground) spliced with the iPod aux I get sound from the aux for a min then it switches over to cd changer sound then back etc. completely randomly. The brown and green Are no longer connected to the changer only the ground is still connected. So I'm wondering if the ground is carrying the audio signal.... I'm very confused.

Last edited by rielcrazy; 05-19-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:29 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Look at THIS PRINT, the top left plug is at the changer, the bottom left plug is in the footwell. There's an additional 4-pin plug (not pictured) in the footwell, the wires you want are on the 4-pin plug and in the top left 10-pin plug in pins 1-4.

You might be on the wrong wire. If you cut the right 4 wires, then there shouldn't be any way for the changer audio to get through.

If the ipod/aux wire you add doesn't have a shield wire, then don't connect anything to the oem bare/drain wire.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Look at THIS PRINT, the top left plug is at the changer, the bottom left plug is in the footwell. There's an additional 4-pin plug (not pictured) in the footwell, the wires you want are on the 4-pin plug and in the top left 10-pin plug in pins 1-4.

You might be on the wrong wire. If you cut the right 4 wires, then there shouldn't be any way for the changer audio to get through.

If the ipod/aux wire you add doesn't have a shield wire, then don't connect anything to the oem bare/drain wire.
Ok. Yes I am using those wires (drk green/white and brown/white) I'm using the 4 pin connector at the footwell you mentioned. Here is what I did....

I cut the brown and green wires just before the connector if your coming from the changer - I left the ground from the changer connected (black wire there) and the "Drain" (silver wire with loose clear plastic insulator) connected. I then hooked wires to the brown/white and green/white and led them to my aux jack. So now the should be no sound coming from the changer - right?

Well... I didn't get any sound from anything. So I next grounded the audio jack on the body... no dice. So I cut the black wire at the connector in the footwell and hooked up an additional wire to the aux jack to the same pole I had the body grounded wire going to... no dice.

So last I reconnected the black wire to the CD changer wire as it was originally but also connected the aux ground and voilla I had sound. BUT it would intermittently cut between my aux source and the CD changer. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE CD CHANGER CAN STILL BE PLAYING SOUND! The brown and green wires coming from it are totally severed. The only wire in that 4 prong harness that remain are the clear plastic shielded wire and that black wire.

Does anyone know what that clear plastic wire is? I'm not sure what "drain" is. Should I tap into that for the ground? I'm completely confused as to how audio signal from the CD changer is still getting to the speakers.

I'm wondering if I should leave the black wire severed and run a ground to the pole on aux input and another wire from the same ground pole to that "shield or drain wire"?

BTW thanks for the help markcz.

Last edited by rielcrazy; 05-19-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:26 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Cut all 4 wires that go to the 4-pin plug.

For whatever source you're connecting to the car end of the cut wires, attach left signal to brown/white, right signal to green/white, and common wire to black/white. Don't connect anything to the drain wire on the car side of your cut. Make sure the black/white and drain wire are cut, the ONLY wires still connected to the changer should be the three in the other plug.

Your new source should have 3 wires. If it's a spliced headphone cable I believe the tip is LH, small center is RH, and base is common.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Cut all 4 wires that go to the 4-pin plug.

For whatever source you're connecting to the car end of the cut wires, attach left signal to brown/white, right signal to green/white, and common wire to black/white. Don't connect anything to the drain wire on the car side of your cut. Make sure the black/white and drain wire are cut, the ONLY wires still connected to the changer should be the three in the other plug.

Your new source should have 3 wires. If it's a spliced headphone cable I believe the tip is LH, small center is RH, and base is common.
Ah so the black wire should only go to the pole on the aux adapter for ground. I do not need to additionally ground it correct? And I cut the "drain" Does it make sense then that with the current setup the sound still comes through?

I'll try what you said tomorrow! Thanks a ton I"ll post results
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

mark, I cut the "drain" wire and it still does the same thing.... I get no sound at all unless I hook the black wire from that 4 wire harness into the ground on the jack as well as into the harness (so one black wire goes to radio, 1 to changer, 1 to aux). When I do that I get sound but I get changer sound! The green and brown don't even go to the changer anymore just the aux!!! help!!!! lol. I've tried a ton of configurations grounding all kinds of things with no luck..... I DO get excellent aux input sound between tracks - full sound.... i can't figure this thing out!

EDIT**** I'M AN IDIOT - I never bothered to check that i was using the wires that GO TO THE RADIO. I assumed the top of the harness went to the radio... i was wrong - The bottom goes to the radio. I used a set of headphones and checked the signal and that's how I discovered it. I hooked everything up to the correct side and it works beautifully.

Last edited by rielcrazy; 05-20-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Old 05-25-2013, 11:02 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys, new to the forums... I am looking to do the same thing with my C5... But these posts are confusing as all hell... Can someone guide me to the right link to add a female aux input to my stock radio. I do have an Aux button on it, but NO cd changer installed??!! Help please!
Thanks

PS... Don't mind spending the cash to buy an adapter if someone knows where I can pick one up?... Thanks Again

Last edited by SEC5; 05-25-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-25-2013, 04:42 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SEC5
Hi guys, new to the forums... I am looking to do the same thing with my C5... But these posts are confusing as all hell... Can someone guide me to the right link to add a female aux input to my stock radio. I do have an Aux button on it, but NO cd changer installed??!! Help please!
Thanks

PS... Don't mind spending the cash to buy an adapter if someone knows where I can pick one up?... Thanks Again
dennis at double d mods will sell you a plug and play adapter.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 aux input using cd changer wires

Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Click here
Old 05-26-2013, 06:04 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep!! Exactly what I needed!! Thanks guys!!!
SEC5
Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 PM
ognuDdeJ
1st Gear

Okay I follow everything you guys are saying up to rielcrazy's EDIT post. What I'm understanding is that the harness you guy were working with the whole time was the one with the blue connector and that all 4 of those cable will be manipulated. Where I get lost is when rielcrazy says "the top and the bottom of the harness" Should I cut and work on the car side or the charger side of the blue connector??

EDIT: After I lifted up the carpet I understand what he's saying now. The blue side connects to the radio, which is the "bottom" of the harness. Now I just need to venture to radioshack and see if I can do this.

Last edited by ognuDdeJ; 06-06-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: c5 aux input using cd changer wires