Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advice on more bass without putting a sub in the car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 AM
THE FLASH
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Advice on more bass without putting a sub in the car.

I have read a lot of posts where some people only put components in the front doors of their C5's, no speakers in the rear, and go with a sub mounted in the trunk area. I dont want the added weight that a sub, amp and enclosure will produce. Not to mention that I dont want a lot of bass.

I currently have JL audio C5-650's in the door and Jl audio VR-600 coaxials in the rear all powered by an alpine pdx f-4. the system sounds really good, but I would like a tad bit more bass. Maybe more mid bass would give me that extra I need. The VR-600's seem to produce more higher frequencies than mid range even though it is a 6" speaker.
Here is my question: what if I installed just the 5.25" mid woofers from a 5.25" component system in the rear and not the tweeters?

Has anyone ever done that?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:31 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I did exactly what you're asking about in my '07 with a set of 5.25" Cadence speakers and some F-Mod filters. It worked, but nothing makes up for a real sub. If you did something like THIS it would prob sound better with minimal weight added.

Having said that....

Your current 6.5's in the back will play better bass than any 5.25" will. I have some F-Mod Filters sitting here that I probably won't use any more. I have one set of 6500 Hz Low Pass and another set of 3500 Hz Low Pass, both sets are yours for $20 shipped if you want them, just let me know. You can experiment to see if they give you what you're looking for with your current speakers.

You would install the filter between the RCA cord and your rear amp channels so it will remove anything above the filter setpoint. Then your rears won't play any highs and you can turn up the amp gain to add as much bass as you like (assuming the speaker is capable of playing it).

Quick Reply: Advice on more bass without putting a sub in the car.