Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Audio/Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Audio/Electronics
Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette Sponsored by
Optima Batteries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
rielcrazy
CF Member

Default Adding bluetooth to factory C5 Bose radio for less than $50 quick how to

had a couple people ask me how I did this so I made a thread...

First - please excuse the picture quality - i used my phone and sent them in the lowest resolution to my e-mail and they look kinda terrible -

So I started out wanting to add an AUX to my factory bose headunit. I followed one of the many threads and opened up the radio but had no success. Neither the 1-3 nor the 4-5 wires worked for me (see this link)

I decided that because I had the factory 12 disk changer and never used it that it would be cool to be able to push the "AUX" button the dash and have it actually use an AUX port. So I set out cutting the blue 4 wire connector under the pass footwell (this pic borrowed from corvette forums )

[IMG][/IMG]

(incidentally the bottom/blue side of that connector goes to the radio counter to what you would think).

and using the 1/8 aux audio adapter in the first link from radio shack I added an Aux port.

Then I got to thinking. What if I could add a bluetooth system that used the Aux port as an in to the radio. I found the Kinivo BTC450 and the Belkin Air cast. The Kinivo had better reviews and for 45 bucks on Amazon free shipping I figured I'd give it a shot and wow does it work great. I can stream audio from my phone or take a call over the speakerphone. The button has track forward and back buttons as well as a "pause" button and little pinhole built in microphone for the phone calls.

I decided I wanted a permanent clean install in the Vette so I decided to install everything under where my Ash tray goes. I can't speak for the Belkin product but the Kinivo DC adapter was short enough to allow the cig door to close and it has a USB port on the back if you want to charge your phone. I hooked my Aux into one of the side supports inside the cig door also (see pics below). I then realized that because of the constant hot status of the cig lighter plug my bluetooth would stay connected in the garage and I couldn't use my phone. So I wired up a relay to the Cig adapter using the pass footwell "AUX" power wires that go no where - orange yellow and black (the yellow is Acc on only). I capped the orange and used the black and Yellow to power my Relay which I routed the Cig lighter hot wire through - boom I got acc power at the cig lighter and consequently my Bluetooth comes on with my car and all I have to do is hit the button on the Center console once to connect when I start up the car.
[IMG][/IMG]

Couple issues i've noticed are that if your listening to the radio your phone and radio don't know your bluetooth isn't playing through the speakers and you'll have to remember to go back to AUX to take a call. I'm thinking about trying to figure out which wire is the signal wire for the CD Changer and using that as my relay to run the cig power plug (that way your bluetooth cuts off when you switch to radio and back on when you hit the "AUX".

Anyway just thought a few people would enjoy that! Everything together took about 2 hours and was pretty simple. heres some pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

(that's my AUX port on the right side of the ashtray area - I wanted it moutned so I could hook in an aux cord at some point if I wanted to )

[IMG][/IMG]

I set my button right in the middle, I'ts perfect for highway crusin' quick track forward-back- or pause on the phone. It just has an adhesive pad to stick on.

[IMG][/IMG]

All in all I think it blends very well.

- Relay I used - 3.50 at advance auto parts with coupon code.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by rielcrazy; 06-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.
rielcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
2000BSME
CF Senior Member

saw wheat.
2000BSME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:37 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Audio/Electronics
Reload this Page Adding bluetooth to factory C5 Bose radio for less than $50 quick how to