Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6: Chime Sound GMOS-04 vs PAC 0S-2C-Bose

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:11 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C6: Chime Sound GMOS-04 vs PAC 0S-2C-Bose

Can you guys let me know what you think of the chime/warning sound difference between the Metra and PAC?

I had the GMOS-04 and it sounded about 80% like OEM, but i didnt get the beeps from the DIC or memory seats. They were sometimes static, or non existant unless the door was open and the chime going. Ripped it out, sending back to crutchfield, now waiting for the PAC OS-2C-Bose to show up.

How does the PAC sound with that little CM1 chime module? Is it similar to OEM. I am worried its going to sound like crap because the OEM sounds come through the door speaker and are nice, and this little box is going to sound aweful.

2006 Z06 w/bose, no onstar

Feedback?

Thanks Guys
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

The pac will play the same tones as oem. It has a small internal speaker that sounds just a bit cheesy compared to stock, but it isn't that bad and is easy to get used to. After a few trips you won't even notice the difference.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Originally Posted by markcz
The pac wi l play the same tones as oem. It has a small internal speaker that sounds just a bit cheesy compared to stock, but it isn't that bad and is easy to get used to. After a few trips you won't even notice the difference.
Hmmm, ok. Any idea if I can use the *C2R-GM24, that must have them built in, but I dont want to lose the beeps like the gmos. I really dont like the idea of a cheapo speaker.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

to me the gmos is more stock sounding and when installed correctly will work just like stock

if you have an os2cbose showing up then you ordered the wrong harness

os2cbose means onstar and bose

if you have no onstar then you must use the c2rgm24

I am sure Crutchfield explained all of this to you as well
Old 10-06-2013, 09:06 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
to me the gmos is more stock sounding and when installed correctly will work just like stock

if you have an os2cbose showing up then you ordered the wrong harness

os2cbose means onstar and bose

if you have no onstar then youit is supposed to must use the c2rgm24

I am sure Crutchfield explained all of this to you as well
Crutchfield are fools.
I can tell you 100% the gmos is NOT compatible with my car, metra even confirmed. I even saw several posts from others, and you on this forum where you replied to others that had this same issue. To the avg person the gmos seems to work but if you are familar with the car and every sound and beep, you lose some of them. I am willing to bet most just dont notice.

Other than the 0S-2C-bose having additional features for onstar, I see no reason why it wont work. I am just concerned that the chime is going to sound bad, since for some reason PAC doesnt send it through the amp...prob the reason why it works. Metra tells me its a known issue just on the corvette witb bose to lose the beeps. Something to do with the class 2 communication. Like I said before, if the door is open and the chimes going...beeps are perfect. Start it up shut door, cimes off...beeps are non existent.

Can you guys tell the chimes are from a pito speaker or is it ok and tolerable?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:33 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Pretty sure the gmos04 does work on the c6 just for the preferred harness
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
Pretty sure the gmos04 does work on the c6 just for the preferred harness
I am not sure what the prefered harness is, but it seems others had issues just like me. There are a few threads out there like this one, I am stuck right now, hopefully the PAC will resolve. Still unsure of the sound quality though. I like my stuff to work like oem, if I cant get it to work that way I am going to switch to factory nav.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...gmos-04-a.html
Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 AM
turbosl2
Instructor

PAC OS-2C-Bose is in. Everything works but there is a glitch with this system too.
Here is my feedback

Good News,
-The beeps from the unlock, DIC, memory seats...etc work awesome, in fact, i think they are faster and more responsive than OEM, which uses the amplifier and LF door speaker.

Bad News,
-Chime module sounds pretty crapy compared to stock. Its really high pitched and the case rattles. I too taped over many of the ports on it until i got a more soothing sound. I also superglued the case to help it from rattling. I mounted it near the kick panel on the right, just past it, you cant see it and it shoots toward the foot well.

-The chime doesnt chime correctly. When i first plugged it in it chimed like it was supposed to, i.e. chime chime chime chime...etc. About 20 seconds later it only goes chime, pause for a few seconds, chime....etc. Its much less frequent and annoying. I think i like it this way but i am not sure whats wrong. If i unplug it from the power, then plug it back in, it works like normal, then wait a few minutes and its back to one chime every 5-10 secs or so.

I had a key fob that i needed to re-program, for some reason i lost the program when i changed the battery several months ago. I figure why not do it now, but didnt do it before i took the radio out. I CANNOT get into the DIY programing mode with this aftermarket radio and PAC controller. So now without the factory radio installed i have to pull it all back apart to program the fob (i have done it in the past by turning the key 5 times with trunk open...etc.

Hope this helps the next person, overall i would choose PAC over the GMOS, simply because i like the idea that the beeps work, and even if the PAC is not chiming 100% as intended it is less anoyying.

Tom
Old 10-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Klaus-96
2019 Z06 2LZ A8 Coupe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Before you tear everything apart, you might try removing the radio fuse first. It might then allow you to program your fobs.

I remember reading this tech note:

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...lletin_003.pdf
Old 10-13-2013, 09:11 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Hmm, I did read that and it indicates versions that are below mine. Cant hurt to try though
Old 10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
s4k4zulu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys quick question,
with the PAC do you still have to tap into B13 for the radio antenna ?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes, but it has a wire there to connect it to, you don't have to splice into oem wires.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:24 PM
turbosl2
Instructor

Originally Posted by markcz
Yes, but it has a wire there to connect it to, you don't have to splice into oem wires.
Ya, its a color match between the radio harness and PAC, no oem wire cutting
Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 PM
b_mouzakis
Advanced

Default Bose amplifier

I'm new to this forum and don't always know where to post issues and things.

I'm having a very strange issue with my BOSE amplifier in my 2005 Corvette. My trouble shooting has led me to the possibility of the BOSE amplifier producing a loud squeal until it warms up. After it warms up it goes away and does not return until the amplifier cools down. This squeal is not controllable by the volume control on the radio so I feel it is the amplifier that is causing this squeal.
If you have herd this problem with your system and have had it fixed please let me know what you did to repair this problem.

If you have upgraded your stock amplifier and if the original is still operational I would like to know if you would be willing to sell?

Sincerely
Bill
Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 PM
s4k4zulu
Instructor

^^^ Thanks Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To C6: Chime Sound GMOS-04 vs PAC 0S-2C-Bose

Quick Reply: C6: Chime Sound GMOS-04 vs PAC 0S-2C-Bose