Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Appradio 3 + Unchained + tasker = Awesome

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Default Appradio 3 + Unchained + tasker = Awesome

I would like to thank Mike @ doubleD mods for answering my questions and help make this install go as smooth as possible. I am using his appradio 3 kit, wiring harness and MHL android kit.

To make my Galaxy Note 2 work with the radio an additional Samsung adapter was necessary.

My phone is rooted allowing me to run unchained (the program that allows the mirroring) and tasker to automate everything with the connection. I also used my root privilages to increase my charge rate from 300ma to a whopping 1500ma when connected via data USB so my phone actually charges when its running a full power and connected.

Hope you guys like!

Last edited by SinisterC6; 01-20-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:49 AM
1lowc5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple questions?

What version of Jelly Bean are you running? The reason I ask is because ever since I updated to 4.3 (Note 2), I have been unable to use the screen standby app.

Also did you plug the usb directly into the radio? (which is how I did it) or did you use the gray box with the pioneer kit? and do you notice a signal loss when you connect the mhl adapter (cord) to the phone? I get or lose 3g signal when I connect the mhl adapter (cord) and was thinking it might be a power issue and might need to add the app you used to increase power.

But having the phone on my stereo does rock
Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Thanks a lot man, ill try my best to answer your questions:

Originally Posted by 1lowc5
Couple questions?

What version of Jelly Bean are you running? The reason I ask is because ever since I updated to 4.3 (Note 2), I have been unable to use the screen standby app.
I am using one of the rooted roms called whompasaurus, by rooting I am giving permission to do anything in the phone from installing unofficial apps lie the standby app and unchained as well as make changes to the hardware settings of the phone like cpu voltage and charging amperage>

Are you currently rooted?

Also did you plug the usb directly into the radio? (which is how I did it) or did you use the gray box with the pioneer kit? and do you notice a signal loss when you connect the mhl adapter (cord) to the phone? I get or lose 3g signal when I connect the mhl adapter (cord) and was thinking it might be a power issue and might need to add the app you used to increase power.
I didn't see a drastic loss but also wasn't paying attention for it. I have heard of this issue and it i due to the MHL connecttion drawing so much power from the phone.

The radio can charge at a mah of 1000ma while the grey charge can supply 2000ma. When ever you plug in a USB data connection like the MHL the phone limits current draw to 500ma.

I used STWEAKS to take that current limit off and am now able to see 1500ma when connected with a data usb. STWEAKS is another rooted only app.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I need to try unchained again with my HDMI Stick, now that everything is working on unchained now..

Just need to finish my HDMI Stick install

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 01-21-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
I need to try unchained again with my HDMI Stick, now that everything is working on unchained now..

Just need to finish my HDMI Stick install
Do you know what the difference is between the liberator and unchained?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:18 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Do you know what the difference is between the liberator and unchained?
Other then Liberator only works with AR2?

Not too much, just the connection and from what I keep reading, Unchained seems to connect better.

I used ARL because ARU was not available.. Also ARL had most everything working, now that ARU does i need to give it a try again
Old 01-21-2014, 05:16 PM
1lowc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Thanks a lot man, ill try my best to answer your questions:

I am using one of the rooted roms called whompasaurus, by rooting I am giving permission to do anything in the phone from installing unofficial apps lie the standby app and unchained as well as make changes to the hardware settings of the phone like cpu voltage and charging amperage>

Are you currently rooted?

I didn't see a drastic loss but also wasn't paying attention for it. I have heard of this issue and it i due to the MHL connecttion drawing so much power from the phone.

The radio can charge at a mah of 1000ma while the grey charge can supply 2000ma. When ever you plug in a USB data connection like the MHL the phone limits current draw to 500ma.

I used STWEAKS to take that current limit off and am now able to see 1500ma when connected with a data usb. STWEAKS is another rooted only app.
Yeah I'm rooted, running stock rom 4.3 . I did read on Google play that screen standby is not working with 4.3, which is a bummer. I really didn't want to pull the dash back apart to install the gray box from the Pioneer kit but since you said you get more voltage with it then maybe I have to. Or maybe I will just install the STWEAKS first and see how that works.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 PM
SgtB10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get my AR3 setup as well. I have the Galaxy S3 Model SPH-L701 Android 4.3. I want to get my phone rooted but I cannot find the correct software for my phone. Is there a good write-up on how to get you phone rooted? I looked on a couple of forums, but couldn’t make it work. A place about 60 miles from me says they will root it for $80. I think I can do it myself if I had the right programs.
After reading this, I guess I will install the grey power box before I put everything back.
Where did you get the Tasker App and the AR Unchained APP?
I found I have to plug the small adapter into the phone then attach the cable from the radio to get it to recognize the phone. That’s about all I can get it to do since my phone is not rooted.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 PM
1lowc5
Instructor

did you mean sph-L710?

before rooting make sure the root method is the correct model/version of your phone.

anyways its a little scary thinking your going to brick your phone and make it unusable. But really all your doing is opening up "root" access to your device. The process is really not that hard but like I said for beginners like you and me it can be scary. Once rooted your phone will be stock on Android 4.3 with root access for programs that need it.

Im assuming your using a sprint phone according to your model # and if everything else is correct just follow the steps with this link, also read a few of the comments in the link and make sure you update supersu.

http://honai-android.blogspot.com/20...-sph-l710.html

and the ARunchained app, use his current release #5 ( arunchained0.15.apk)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2451980

Tasker is in the play store but you have to pay for it. Its not really needed unless you want to automate features.

Last edited by 1lowc5; 01-22-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 PM
SgtB10
Instructor

Ok thanks! Yes I meant SPH-L710, sorry. I was looking at the xda-developers site and I don't see a program for Android 4.3 yet.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 AM
SgtB10
Instructor

1lowc5,
I think I have this thing whipped except for one thing. It seems to have taken the rooting and the ARU app, but when I plug into my App Radio 3 (I get screen mirroring) if I try to open Waze (Navigation) it goes to a dark screen and wants me to "start activation from my Pioneer device". Not sure how to do that and my setting on the radio still says "unregistered".
Any tips?
Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:16 AM
1lowc5
Instructor

Originally Posted by SgtB10
1lowc5,
I think I have this thing whipped except for one thing. It seems to have taken the rooting and the ARU app, but when I plug into my App Radio 3 (I get screen mirroring) if I try to open Waze (Navigation) it goes to a dark screen and wants me to "start activation from my Pioneer device". Not sure how to do that and my setting on the radio still says "unregistered".
Any tips?
Thanks again.

is this your first time starting the app radio?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM
SgtB10
Instructor

is this your first time starting the app radio?
I have started it several times. It has always been in the garage and the GPS antenna is not hooked if that has something to do with it. Do I need to pull it out into the open? Not sure if it works of a satellite or something.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:13 AM
1lowc5
Instructor

I have started it several times. It has always been in the garage and the GPS antenna is not hooked if that has something to do with it. Do I need to pull it out into the open? Not sure if it works of a satellite or something.
The waze app uses the radios gps signal, so maybe thats why you get a black screen because you dont the antenna hooked up. Does everything else work?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:39 AM
SgtB10
Instructor

WELL AFTER DIGGING THROUGH ALL THE MANUALS I FOUND A LILLTE BLURB THAT SAYS {PARAPHRASED} "When connecting an Android device you must press the white dot to initiate" the white dot moves 3 or 4 times and then it lets you connect. I have no idea what this is for.

I still can't seem to find the correct order to connect my phone. Sometimes it works great and sometimes it won't do anything even though the ARU app says "connected" and the Bluetooth is on. This setup seems really picky about connecting. Once I get it connected, it's perfect....gets annoying.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:16 AM
LinxuSx
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

WELL AFTER DIGGING THROUGH ALL THE MANUALS I FOUND A LILLTE BLURB THAT SAYS {PARAPHRASED} "When connecting an Android device you must press the white dot to initiate" the white dot moves 3 or 4 times and then it lets you connect. I have no idea what this is for.
The white dots are for calibrating the touch screen to your phone.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:35 PM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I just installed the Pioneer -210 last night with the iPhone 5.

I need an FM adapter now to run xm.

I'm thinking of going with the 3600 or 4700 at this point.

MUST HAVE XM.

Get notified of new replies

To Appradio 3 + Unchained + tasker = Awesome

Quick Reply: Appradio 3 + Unchained + tasker = Awesome