Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I need to start working on my bezel as well. Still haven't even gotten started on creating a double din mod to my extra bezel. I need to go back through your thread and pick out the details on materials and tools that you've used. Hopefully it won't be too painful to get up to speed on this!!
Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

You know the more I take the car apart them more I need to get rid of the ***** on the bezel. I also need to find a way to get the bezel flush to the tablet as well.. I could do a better RCA connection on the bezel.. need to figure it out

These will be marked as winter projects..

Still debating the app radio to go back in the car. the Android Headunit I posted would not work for me and it does not have USB Host mode (per the Ad)
Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Jeff...I, for one, am hoping that you stay with the Nexus tablet. More versatility and upgradeability moving forward. With AutoDroid support is strong and fresh again. Down the road we'll probably all end up moving to newer tablets as the support/attention moves to those tablets.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zmeister
Jeff...I, for one, am hoping that you stay with the Nexus tablet. More versatility and upgradeability moving forward. With AutoDroid support is strong and fresh again. Down the road we'll probably all end up moving to newer tablets as the support/attention moves to those tablets.
Probably.. I have not tried AutoDroid and won't for now.. I noticed I am getting better reception with the antenna fixed. I just need to improve the volume connection or control to make it easier to pull the panels off the dash.

Still working ideas through my head and that probably will not happen until winter. The second panel I am working on will not be cut for the Tablet, I will keep the OEM opening on that one for now.

I have a 3rd bezel I will build for the tablet when the time comes

I just need to determine my final solution for the car, Tablet may stay, depends if I can fix the issues I feel need to be addressed on the install itself
Old 09-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

That all makes good sense. Everybody needs to take a little breather and re-group every once in awhile. App Radio is the easy way to go, but, I think it lacks some of the versatility that I would like to have. However, since you've already got the App Radio your situation is quite different than mine, and, the App Radio certainly seems to work for most of what you want/need right now. Makes for an interesting dilemma! Always nice to have choices!!
Good luck either way and I'll certainly continue to track your progress since I haven't gotten much done on my end yet.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:59 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

That all makes good sense. Everybody needs to take a little breather and re-group every once in awhile.
Yep Absolutely

App Radio is the easy way to go, but, I think it lacks some of the versatility that I would like to have. However, since you've already got the App Radio your situation is quite different than mine, and, the App Radio certainly seems to work for most of what you want/need right now.
Yes and No, I want ONE OS, App Radio has 2 and I cannot use the HD tuner with it, due to kernel limitations in my Android Stick). Mine Being an AppRadio 2 also has a Bluetooth limitation. As for handsfree on the phone through the Tablet, I can do Tablet Talk and use my Headset, which seems to work quite well (I just got a Plantronics Voyager) I have not tried Tablet talk, but it would control the dial pad portion

Makes for an interesting dilemma! Always nice to have choices!!
Good luck either way and I'll certainly continue to track your progress since I haven't gotten much done on my end yet.
I also forgot I can go with the Audio Control Matrix Plus or Overdrive Plus. it will give me a cleaner remote for volume control but I will lose my Balance control (which I am not sure is needed)

an EQ would be nice and I could absolutely add it later if I really needed it
Old 09-09-2014, 10:35 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

So my new Bezel is coming along much better than the first..

Looking at some old pictures (because I really don't want to pull the bezel again, I think I might be able to move the tablet up a bit on the brackets this way if I use the new bezel above I will not have to trim as much from it

Old 09-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

That new bezel is coming along very nicely. As I said before, you're getting quite good at that! I wish the C5s had the separate bezel piece for the radio area instead of the all in one bezel/console assembly. The cost of experimenting on the C5 is very costly due to the large assembly. Higher cost to buy and then a much higher cost to ship also!!
It's great to see that you are still plugging along! I need the entertainment!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:52 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

If I can cut it to fit the nexus and make it look factory, I will keep the tablet, I am also going to install the arduino uno (sparkfun.com redboard, actually) and using that UI I posted before. The uno will handle more of my switching through the UI
Old 09-22-2014, 11:04 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

you know it is funny, I really want to keep the tablet, but every time I use it and the HD tuner app locks after being asleep it gets quite frustrating. I am leaving everything alone at the moment as I only have a few more weeks of driving time then I will start pulling the interior out to install the antenna wire and work out some interior stuff

waiting for my other android stick still to try with the app radio so not much else new
Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Jeff, I'm hoping that AutoDroid may end up being the answer to your HD radio lockup problem. Those guys are trouble shooting problems left and right and if you catch them while they're still on a roll they may be able to take care of your issue as well.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:31 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I think it is the way I handle the USB.. I have a thought in mind for a fix.

I need to install AutoDroid, but want to pull the unit out of the car for the install..

I have tried and tried to contact the guy who made the app and the other one that was modding it, disappeared..

another 'issue' with the HDTuner is trying to hold the station in HD, it is not really the tuners fault, I had a Chevy pickup with an HD radio and the HD would fade in and out.. sort of annoying
Old 09-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Jeff, I'm with you on the frustration of trying to implement the HD Radio. It really seems like the perfect solution. The interface with the tablet and the driver are the weak links. A pretty GUI would be so awesome!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:15 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Jeff, I'm with you on the frustration of trying to implement the HD Radio. It really seems like the perfect solution. The interface with the tablet and the driver are the weak links. A pretty GUI would be so awesome!
you know, I like the HDTuner GUI, I just want about 5 more preset buttons..

a widget would be nice as well maybe with the current RDS and Station info..

I think I know the problem with my HDTuner connection, it is way I have the power going to it on the USB. I will try a fix. I also really need to decide if I am going to keep the Tablet in the dash or not, I do have a spare battery from the tablet coming and I am going to make a battery eliminator circuit and use the PCB in the battery I bought to let the tablet think it is a battery. I have a small 3a supply and it will supply power to the tablet (mainly during sleep) I will also turn the tablet off when not using the car for a while..

I have sort of narrowed my plans here:

1) use Tablet, remove battery, using a Power supply to fake it (I am putting a diode in line to keep from 'charging' the power supply) Try and fix the nagging issues

2) If I ever get my other Andriod Stick, test it and use it with the APP Radio 2

3) Find a deal on the App Radio 3 and call it good ( I then get mirror link and more functions)

4) buy an android unit if it works with USB OTG

The App Radio 3 could be the best answer since if I decide to upgrade Android units I just plug it in.. it will also eliminate the in and out of HD of my HD Tuner.. LOL
PLUS with App Radio 3 I can have a Stick and Phone connected at the same time. that also eliminates cutting my bezel to fit..

TOUGH CALL
Old 09-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Hmmmm, never even thought about the App Radio 3!!
For me the cost is too high (I admit I'm cheap) and it's still too constricting for me. I'd rather have the lower cost and higher (to me) flexibility of the tablet. Over time I can relatively easily and cheaply update the tablet to keep up with the technology.
I've had lots of really cool top of the line auto sound systems over the years and it always seems like as soon as you buy something it's outdated and you're lucky if you can sell it for even half what you paid.
I'll be watching closely this fall and winter to see which direction your project takes!!!
I agree with you on the widget to display all the info that is available from the HD Tuner. That would be a real plus!
Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Hmmmm, never even thought about the App Radio 3!!
For me the cost is too high (I admit I'm cheap) and it's still too constricting for me. I'd rather have the lower cost and higher (to me) flexibility of the tablet. Over time I can relatively easily and cheaply update the tablet to keep up with the technology.
I've had lots of really cool top of the line auto sound systems over the years and it always seems like as soon as you buy something it's outdated and you're lucky if you can sell it for even half what you paid.
I'll be watching closely this fall and winter to see which direction your project takes!!!
I agree with you on the widget to display all the info that is available from the HD Tuner. That would be a real plus!
So I found an App Radio 3 for under $300.. I will need to spend $150ish for a line driver with a cleaner control for volume. I just noticed a couple scratches in the paint form having the bezel dangling in the car while the tablet is out.

My ONLY reasoning for going to the AR3 would be extra features the AR2 does not have. However, I will not buy the AR3 until I know I can control a Android stick with it reliably. My current stick reboots. so if I did the AR2 (which the GPS and MIC are still in my car) then for the AR3, it would be a quick swap for me) the android PC would also be easy to swap

I am not saying I don't like the tablet, I do like the all in one OS, but I am hesitant to try another bezel for it, this one I know is first attempt..but has issues. I am keeping my options open and will figure out the best/ easiest solution.

But honestly the more I think of it.. if I remove the HD TUNER completely from the mix, I get a few more features worth using on the AR3

like I said, I am waiting for crappy weather so i can tear the car apart and I might just stay with the tablet if my modded battery eliminator works as my corrected USB solution..

It just bothers me to have to have the Volume control the way I do.. I don't mind it, but it is a pain when the car comes apart
Old 09-23-2014, 06:09 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Had to fix the USB stick (I forgot to plug the extension back in)

Tested the new panel. if I had about 1/4" maybe 3/8' to push the tablet up I would be all set and happy.

Also found the tablet is sort of angled (not much can be done about that) it is shoehorned in there more so than a C5.. I need to think on it.. looking into getting some help on the HD tuner app

Get notified of new replies

To Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

OK. That's a better price than I had imagined for the AR3!! And I can see where the Android stick will give you most, if not all, of the flexibility that I am looking for, so, maybe it's a plus. Pioneer has been getting it better with each generation of the AR and you do get to eliminate much of the troubling power supply and other individual device issues. I'm starting to see your point much better. I've always been a Pioneer fan!
I'll continue to watch and see where this goes. It's been a fun ride so far!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:21 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I should have bought the USB stick from Amazon, got it from eBay, shipped from China.. purchased mid-August, I still don't have it

I also am trying to find someone to help with the HD Tuner App
Old 09-23-2014, 07:41 PM
1lowc5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using AR3 with the All Share Cast Hub and love the fact that I can connect the phone without wires. Of course I believe you need a samsung phone for it to work. and you must have your Flash Counter set to zero (pain in the butt) after rooting which for me meant not having a custom rom, but oh well.

Quick Reply: Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4