Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:31 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1lowc5
I am using AR3 with the All Share Cast Hub and love the fact that I can connect the phone without wires. Of course I believe you need a samsung phone for it to work. and you must have your Flash Counter set to zero (pain in the butt) after rooting which for me meant not having a custom rom, but oh well.
I think if you have mirror cast on your phone you don't need the all share

I am starting to lean towards AR3 and upgrading from the the AR2.. there are more features (plus CD/DVD)

drove the car today.. now I have an alternator whine..

UGH
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

It's always something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I know.. get back to the point of wanting it to work..

so frustrating at times, I am just not sure which way to go...
Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I may have missed it when scanning through the thread, but why keep messing about with the HD radio when it seems to be giving you so many problems?

You could set up the tablet to tether to your phone, then play internet radio or songs from a Google cloud account. You could also set up a Wifi hard drive or a USB HD wired in (if possible). I am not sure of the quality of the internet radio, but you could always use *.Flac files on the Cloud storage or hard drive.

Edit: Wifi hard drives can run concurrently with wifi internet connection according to Seagate. Link to Seagate wifi HD

Last edited by Firewater Burns; 09-24-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:31 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Firewater Burns
I may have missed it when scanning through the thread, but why keep messing about with the HD radio when it seems to be giving you so many problems?

You could set up the tablet to tether to your phone, then play internet radio or songs from a Google cloud account. You could also set up a Bluetooth hard drive or a USB HD wired in (if possible). I am not sure of the quality of the internet radio, but you could always use *.Flac files on the Cloud storage or hard drive.
I wanted to keep the 'normal' radio so I would not always NEED to tether my phone. The HD Radio was good but I had other issues I was sorting out with it along the way. now with the antenna cabling corrected I am hitting other issues (Alternator whine is system wide)

I do have a 64GB USB drive in the car connected to the tablet, I was bummed that I did not have enough room for the equipment I wanted with the tablet.

I really need to work it all out and decide on my final solution, as to fit the tablet it is a bit of cutting and chopping on the bezel. If I use the App Radio or Tablet or whatever I NEED USB OTG, as I have my Datalogger connected that way and I plan on adding an Arduino to the mix for some things as well

I did also try a SDR Radio, but the reception sucks, the reception of the HD is not bad and I want to be able to have some sort of radio/audio without Data. With everything out there I will find something to work well.

The main reason I went tablet from the AppRadio is there was not good solution for using an Android Stick, now there seems to be a good solution so the App Radio might just be the best solution for me..

I have time to decide and when all is done I want the install to look as good as it can, right now it is just fair due to the panel fitment with the tablet
Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
I wanted to keep the 'normal' radio so I would not always NEED to tether my phone. The HD Radio was good but I had other issues I was sorting out with it along the way. now with the antenna cabling corrected I am hitting other issues (Alternator whine is system wide)
I can understand that. It is nice to have the option. Setting up Tasker to auto tether on both the phone and the tablet is on my agenda in the next few months. I believe it is possible to forgo the headache of connecting it up every time you use the car.

What will Arduino do exactly? It looks interesting from reading through the website, but hard to understand how it works. You can attach sensors that will allow you to use, say, volume up and down remotely?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:40 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Firewater Burns
I can understand that. It is nice to have the option. Setting up Tasker to auto tether on both the phone and the tablet is on my agenda in the next few months. I believe it is possible to forgo the headache of connecting it up every time you use the car.

What will Arduino do exactly? It looks interesting from reading through the website, but hard to understand how it works. You can attach sensors that will allow you to use, say, volume up and down remotely?
Not sure 100% but yo will have control over IO for different things. I cannot get mine to work completely, the code keeps crashing.

Still trying to determine my best set-up.. the tablet is just so crammed in the spot it is I have to rethink some things..
Old 09-30-2014, 10:10 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Looks like there may not be any more Dev on the Autodroid.. Apparently they used some of Timurs code without giving credit or asking or something.. I just read the issues int he thread

I also had a couple issues with the sleep mode this last week. Still leaning toward going back to the App radio and using App Radio Unchained reloaded as it is a nice seemless integration.

I think the reception of the App radio will be better for me with the new coax.. I can then plug in my iPod with music, plus have my USB Stick for music through android.

With Android I will have the permanent functionality of the ALDLDroid and then I have navigation.

I would loose the HD tuner, but HD reception is so hit or miss, I could try a amp as I am thinking the data is weak and borderline..

I also thought of just going to a regular tuner again .. who knows.. the touch screen is cool and I have the App radio 2, so might just use it
Old 09-30-2014, 10:20 AM
1lowc5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you like the android stick with ARUR vs using the phone with ARU?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1lowc5
how do you like the android stick with ARUR vs using the phone with ARU?

I have only used it on the bench.. i have a crap Stick that reboots after 15-20 minutes. I have not gotten a new stick yet (ordered one coming from China and I think it is lost)

Anyway, on the bench the set-up is nice, I like the fact that I don't have to plug in the phone all the time

when i had the radio in the car last summer (2013), the phone would over heat, not always connect (then was ARLiberator)

ARU came along but it was not ideal to me as there was no clean and easy way to go from Android to the App radio Main screen (without going through the Pioneer interface)

ARUr removes that, one press of a widget and you are on the Main App Radio screen. I am still trying to work out having the phone and stick connected, but in the vette I think a headset might be the better answer for me especially with the top off. I am leaning towards getting the App radio 3 for the car, and keeping the App radio 2 on the bench or make it my garage radio..

Not sure if there is a benefit of going with the App Radio 3 though for me
Old 09-30-2014, 10:42 AM
1lowc5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has the appradio 2 and I have the appradio 3. The only thing I like over his radio is that I have AD2P. There are times I'm not driving far and really don't need a full connection and I just want to play music. I also have a cd/dvd drive which is nice for when I need it. Like the other day I found some cd's, and it was easier to just put the cds in the car vs downloading them to my phone.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:46 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Yeah, the A2DP is one Of the main interests in upgrading.. nice thing is all the wiring is the same so I can swap rather easily..
Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

No updates really.. waiting for the weather to turn to take the car apart..
The List:
- add antenna ground plane kit
- hide the replacement antenna wire
- decide AppRadio or Tablet (either should work)

here is a video with my AppRadio -> Android Stick -> Arduino. I will use the IO on the arduino for Amp and antenna control as well as ALDL

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5W...ew?usp=sharing

the Stick is the mk908, it reset constantly. I bought a mk809 but I still have not gotten it (coming from china apparently) I am expecting to get a refund now that is has not shown.. still in contact with the seller
Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Good to see that you're still alive and kicking!!!
I have never used one of the Arduinos, but, they sure seem to be capable of doing all sorts of cool stuff!!
Looking forward to more progress.
Bummer about the android stick! I'm assuming if/when you get the refund you will be ordering another??
Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zmeister
Good to see that you're still alive and kicking!!!
I have never used one of the Arduinos, but, they sure seem to be capable of doing all sorts of cool stuff!!
Looking forward to more progress.
Bummer about the android stick! I'm assuming if/when you get the refund you will be ordering another??

yeah, I am debating ordering a different one now anyway.. I may still order the mk809iii which many have good luck with and I know it works.

although I was thinking of the minix neo x7 and there is one guys using the tronsmart s89.. the minix is unknown to work with App radio BUT it have an RTC so it would hold time if the power is off..

Minix is about $99-$120.. the mk809iii is around $55 and I have not checked the cost of the S89..

all 3 have kitkat variants available for them
Old 10-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

The android sticks are evolving and improving so quickly!! I may need to pick up another one soon for experimenting. I had one a few months back and was really impressed with the speed and capabilities, but, it had a wi-fi antenna issue and I had to send it back after about a month of tinkering.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:50 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I ordered a mk809iii and an 8 channel relay board last night

Looking forward to bench testing the mk809iii with my AppRadio.

the 8 channel relay board is for arduino control.. thinking , Power antenna, Amps, ALDL Communication (switch the line in and out) and maybe some extra stuff I have not thought of yet. If I use the App radio then the feed wire will be the remote out from the radio. which means nothing will work until the android is running, which I am fine with honestly. but I have options.. What I am really looking forward to seeing is if the HD tuner will work on the Stick (serial control) if so then the App radio will be used for phone interfacing and the better GPS.. I essentially could use it in place of the tablet if I desire..

No rush though..

Get notified of new replies

To Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Old 10-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

And the plot continues to thicken. I'm interested to see how it goes with the 8 channel relay board. Sounds intriguing!!
I'm still hoping that the tablet stays in the picture as well since I'm learning from your trials, errors and successes!!
Looking forward to future updates!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

You know.. at the end of the day it is all Android.. I think the Android Infotainment is still in its infancy so there can only be leaps and bounds.. I found a nice unit from china that seems promising, then the App Radio 4 looks nice too..

If I use the App Radio and Stick, it is almost like using the tablet and actually I think I could use many of the components plus a couple.. biggest down side is trying to get the HD tuner to work with the stick as the FTDI support is not in the kernel. but I honestly think that app could be redone to not need that (like the other FTDI Apps I have) I just wish I knew how to code that stuff.. I would do it
Old 10-23-2014, 08:49 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I know you are dying for an update..

Monday:
Got my mk809iii on Finally rooted it and connected to the AR2 (AppRadio2). Realized the touch was not right but I forgot to check invert x/y in ARUr.

Tuesday:
Fixed the X/Y and wanted to install KitKat, then realized it was already installed (WooHoo)

Started setting up everything (well most everything). found a couple issues with the Arduino and Autosense (Dev is working on them)
Autosense is the cool UI I posted a while back

Wednesday:
tried to pair phone with AppRadio and have both the Stick and Phone connected.. not working out so well, I have heard of people doing it with AR2, but I have not been able to easily/Automatically

That is not a deal breaker as it is better than nothing at all.

I am really leaning towards reinstalling the AppRadio. I think at some point I will upgrade to the App Radio4, it has some neat additions

Anyway, my main reason it how the integration is.. I don't like the surround for the tablet, If I cam move the tablet up then I might keep it installed, but I am doubting that, there really is NO room.

I also thought if I can find a Touchscreen that would integrate easily with the stick, I could ditch the AppRadio. either way I have some ideas

I might even have a solution for the HDRadio, I have an app I need to try, but need to pull the car apart to test it out.. I am hoping to try some of that this weekend

Quick Reply: Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4