Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Thread is up to 3 pages now!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like those older radios are more complex than I thought!!
I miss the old days when things were more simple, sort of.
It's going to be 80 degrees here today. Should have taken the day off to start taking some of the console apart!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:23 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmeister
It's going to be 80 degrees here today.
Sure rub it in.. Although it was in the 40's yesterday but I had to change the oil in my daily driver..

Yes 40s is warm to me considering it has been in the 20s for a month

maybe Saturday I will get some time to work on it, maybe by then I will have some answers around the OEM radio, then I can hack one up and try it
Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Looking forward to more updates from your end. Really hoping you get some nice weather over the weekend.
If you guys have any links to Android sites that helped you out with the rooting and configuration for the car install I would love to get them from you. I'm definitely going to need some help there. Since my tablet won't show up until Monday I'll have all weekend to study.
What method are you guys using for mounting the tablet? I know that the C4s are going to be a bit different than my C5, but, mounting should be relatively similar once I open up by 1.5 din opening to 2 din.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:53 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I thought I posted it here..

Bottom of the mount is the left side

I pop riveted 2 brackets to the back to match to two of the factory mounts.. so that will mount, then the tablet will snap in.

the black plastic is the back 1/2 of a 360 swivel case.. the chunk was supposed to be smaller but it cracked when I cut it (I needed a slight bit of room around my power key)
Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Android Sites:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-gen...l-things-root/

Google search 'wugfresh'

it is an app for unlocking and rooting your tablet. if you use TWRP (version 2.5.0) I think you can install USB ROM and Google Apps, I ended up using CWM (Clockwork Mod)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tta.rommanager

as I had issues with TWRP (Apparently I had the wrong version as I later found out)

Another helpful site is Rootzwiki.com
Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Jeff, thanks for that info. You had posted the pic of that back plate in one of your earlier posts. I did not understand how it was going to be mounted in the car and didn't realize that it was a snap in back plate. That's pretty handy and I may check to see if that may work for me, but, I think it will turn out that the C5 mounting will be different.
The web links will be helpful and I can use them to start studying. There is plenty of info out there on the rooting and romming....too much actually. It's a bit challenging to find what is directly applicable to what you are doing so your links will get me off to a much quicker start!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

the 90 deg connector did not work.

so I went to bend mine and broke most of the wires.. I soldered them and hot glued the connector.. this should fit:

I think I might add this to the glovebox, then use my remote level control.. this in the glove box can be a set it and forget it.. and I still have a volume control, might be the best way to do it.. I have not heard back from a couple people I emailed regarding the OEM radio and schematics for it

Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Nice job on that 90 degree connection. Who needs custom cables?!?!
I need to do a bit more homework, but, I've noticed quite a few folks buying and tearing down the docking station and using the docking station connector for charging, audio and microphone. Not sure if that creates any complications with the timur ROM or not. I'll need to do a little more reading and try to figure that out.
Looks like you're all set now with your Kenwood equalizer. Nice looking unit. I may look for something similar.
I'm also studying on the possibility of plugging into the Bose system in the C5. The head unit and amps are separate and lots of folks have been using the built in amps and speakers instead of installing aftermarket items. The Z doesn't have much insulation, so, it's really not that quiet inside. Top notch sound quality is pretty much wasted in my car.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Interesting.. do you have some links regarding the docking station set-ups?

I still think your best bet for audio is the DAC from the USB. I would like to find a mic solution although I think I will need to move the mic out of the tablet to someplace where it can pick up sound better..
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

I'll check and see if I saved any of those links about use of the docking station when I get home. I was reading those back a while before I knew I was going to give this a try, so, not sure if I saved them, but, shouldn't be too hard to find them again.
The mic issue is one of the ones that seemed to be resolved by using the docking station, which is one of the things I liked. Seemed that one of the connectors on the docking station had a plug that accepted a cable that split into the left and right audio out and a mic plug.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Tested it in the car.

I figured BEFORE I install I wanted to test the set-up in the car..

Here is what I found..

Apparently the output of the EQ is MUCH higher than the olde set-up, I had to turn the gains way down.. So I did not even try the line driver. I did not try it with the car running either.

Sound is great!! I had to turn the Nexus volume to about 1/2 to get it to not be super loud.. The tuner is another story, since there is no inptu for the audio from that to the tablet the volume is too much, I think I need a level adjuster for that..

Speaking of Level adjuster, the one I bought comes strong way too fast, I am thinking it is a linear control not Logarithmic, that will be something for me to check into.

The HDTuner works, but the program tends to crash and I get noise when I turn it off, I really think that the app needs to be redone.. Wish I knew what to do to make one or update it

I might buy the DVB-T tuner to try.. might be a better solution.. but I would keep the HDTUNER as well

I also thought of getting the Clarion too, but I cannot put it in a feasible spot for control.. but it may help with the pop/noise, Although I had the tuner on a separate power source outside the car.

I need a Delayed switch/relay for the amp turn on wires too..

More to come....
Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Took the Level controller apart.. it is a Linear Pot.. needs to be Logarithmic to work right..

Also I smelled the beginning of burnt electronics on the outputs of the EQ.. guess I will NOT be using that..

I think I will order another wrong Level Adjuster and a correct Volume Pot.. I will use the 2 ***** that are the same for Level and Balance.. then just set the other for the right level on the tuner feeding into the USB-DAC and call it good. I may at some point get a Mini DSP

Ordered some raw parts (4 Pots) 2 linear and 2 log.. and some *****..

still might buy the other one for the nice aluminum ****..

anyway, I need to figure out how to wire it up while leaving the rear without balance.. although if I cannot I will live with it..

UPDATE:

Found out why the output was beginning to cook in the EQ..

The labels were backwards on the Level control, when volume was 0 the output of the EQ was essentially shorted, I think it will be okay.. but need to correct that which will be done when I get the parts to build my own.

This weekend I plan an seeing if the EQ will fit where I would like it, if not it will be removed from the system. I have a schematic and a plan for a Balance/Volume control, once I have parts I will put it together

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 02-21-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Updates
Old 02-21-2014, 10:58 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I had another thought today...

I could use a Bluetooth Transmitter to send the HDTuner output to the Nexus.. then the Nexus should be able to handle the audio coming in and stream it out to the USB DAC, if so then I would get to use the EQ on the Nexus and the volume on the Nexus..
Old 02-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Jeff, you've covered a lot in 24 hours!!!
Looks like none of this will be as easy/straight forward as I had hoped, but, that's the way it is sometimes. Worth the effort still, IMHO.
I have not been able to find the threads where installers had used the docking station to power and access ports on the Nexus 7. Still looking. Found at least one that I had saved for a Samsung Tab 2 install. That's the tablet that I was originally planning to use.
Still looking for the Nexus info and will share if I find it.
Looks like my tablet may be running a bit ahead of schedule and may be delivered today or tomorrow instead of Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Sounds like you're really on a roll so I may have more of your adventures to read about over the weekend!!
I have seen several threads where folks have gotten external audio into the tablet using bluetooth with pretty good results. I'm going to see if I can find some of those threads since I like that idea. One of the upsides seemed to be elimination of noise from cable and grounding problems.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zmeister
Jeff, you've covered a lot in 24 hours!!!
Looks like none of this will be as easy/straight forward as I had hoped, but, that's the way it is sometimes. Worth the effort still, IMHO.
I have not been able to find the threads where installers had used the docking station to power and access ports on the Nexus 7. Still looking. Found at least one that I had saved for a Samsung Tab 2 install. That's the tablet that I was originally planning to use.
Still looking for the Nexus info and will share if I find it.
Looks like my tablet may be running a bit ahead of schedule and may be delivered today or tomorrow instead of Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Sounds like you're really on a roll so I may have more of your adventures to read about over the weekend!!
I have seen several threads where folks have gotten external audio into the tablet using bluetooth with pretty good results. I'm going to see if I can find some of those threads since I like that idea. One of the upsides seemed to be elimination of noise from cable and grounding problems.
Cool the external audio in through Bluetooth is starting to sound promising, should be straight forward and them puts all the control back in to the tablet, which honestly I would prefer, I was just hoping for a 'wired' audio input, but I was running an App Radio 3 and using Bluetooth for touch control mirroring through the ARLiberator app. so I think I will be fine with it. I need to find a decent one and order it, worst case it will end up being in my house for me watching TV late at night then I can use my BT headphones..

Anyway, I found a couple that support use while plugged in.. so I need another USB hub, but since it is just charging that will be on it's own Power supply.. I have a couple small ones now..

Cool it is coming together, So tomorrow will be seeing if the EQ fits, then hopefully mount the Directed Tuner and maybe the main power supply. as well as the noise filter.. (I need to swap my front brakes too.. LOL)
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

quick video (running Slacker)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5W...it?usp=sharing
Old 02-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Thanks for the video clip. Sounds pretty good!
Looks like you've really gotten the inside of the car pretty much torn apart! Scary and impressive.
I've suffered a setback. Tablet arrived. Looks like new. Fired up and worked great, then installed the OTA 4.3 update and now won't boot. Just hangs. Been trying everything that I can find on the internet, but, no luck so far.
Good luck with the brakes. Hopefully that goes smooth and you can get back to the tablet install!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

That sucks!!! did you get anywhere with your tablet?

I got some work done today

installed the Noise filter:

the USB-DAC, HDTuner, and Power supply

I just need to wire power to those items and a second power supply for the Bluetooth transmitter I have yet to order

Found the EQ will just NOT fit.. so I need to try the bluetooth solution for the HDTuner.

Also waiting on the Potentiometers for my Vol/Bal if I go that route of a physical ****
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Wow! That's looking pretty nice! You sure squeezed a lot of stuff into a tight space there. The factory couldn't do any better than that.
No luck with my tablet. After hours of trying everything that I found on the internet I called Asus tech support and they tried a bunch of stuff with me to no avail.
Got an RMA number and should be shipping the tablet to the service center for repair/replacement. Really dampened my spirits and I ended up not getting anything done on the car today. Spent time on yard work instead.
Will probably be at least a week and a half before getting the tablet back. That will give me some time to order a few of my other items and start taking the interior apart. Got an MGW shifter to install at the same time so...2 birds with one stone hopefully.
Looking forward to more updates from your end to make my life easier when my tablet gets back!!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:55 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zmeister, did you check out the "Wugfresh" software? There is a utility for soft bricked Nexus devices. Just so you know, I had to downgrade the os to Android 4.2.2 to get the Timur Rom to load. Mine was at 4.4.2 when I got it and I about pulled my hair out trying to get the USB ROM to load. I used wugfresh to downgrade to 4.2.2, unlock, and root, and then I used Clockworkmod ROM manager to load Timur.

Quick Reply: Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4