Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Dying for an update indeed!!!
Looking and sounding good. Was sort of disappointed that you're probably going the APP Radio route, but, was encouraged that you expressed interest in finding a touch screen that would work with the Android stick. That would be my preferred way to go, but, I had no luck finding anything that would work last time I searched, which was a couple of months ago.
Eager to see what you may have going for the HD Radio also.
Hoping you have a productive weekend and looking forward to more updates.
Keep the thread alive!!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Like I said the only reason is aesthetics. IF I can fit the Tablet in better then I might keep it. I had to trim the opening for the tablet to access the whole screen, but it is larger than I like.

In the Dash I am sort of trapped for space, I have thought of different ways to make it all work out but at the end of the day I want something very clean and close to looking like it belongs there.. right now I don't get that feeling from the install..

I have also thought of moving to the newer Nexus 7 as well, as the screen shape is different but I will run into issues on the width. The newer cars just have a bit more room for some of this stuff.. I mean my car is from 1990, who would have thought there would be screens or even touchscreens in a car (unless you were KITT)

The limitation for finding a touchscreen for android is kernel support. but Either way it will still be Android and I will still be using some of the same things. I keep holding out to tear the car apart, but might just start sooner than later
Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

OK I got testing done, but the battery died in my car ...

Anyway

video 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5W...ew?usp=sharing

the power button does not seem to work well.. I had to force close the app and restart (with unplugging the cable)

The Volume once in a once when pressing (-) with get super loud, then soft again..

AM/FM switch seemed to work but got weird in the last video but I think that was my battery.. the volume and power were from when I first connected everything

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5W...ew?usp=sharing

So because of this ability the App Radio is going back in the car, although I need one device to inject the DAC Audio into the App Radio..
Old 10-24-2014, 10:25 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Zmeister,

Even with me going to the app radio, many things will remain close to the tablet install

I will still retain the HD tuner and USB Drive. I will also keep the ALDL cable and all connected. my long term goal is to find a screen to replace the App radio that FITS in the spot nicely and then use just the Android.

I really think the next few years will change aftermarket car audio with more 'smart' solutions

One thing I am doing (right or wrong) I will connect the USB DAC to the Android, then merge the audio into the HDMI going to the AppRadio. this will allow me to connect the HD tuner audio seemlessly to the appradio and have all volume EQ etc for all sources.

Ultimately the car will have 2 tuners, the app radio one and the HD one. I will have iPod connectivity as well as the stick with music. As much as I like the pure android, I don't think it is quite there. the Stick I have now is a night and day difference from the other, it is solid and works great. The option for the new HDtuner app makes the decision easier

Anyway.. need to start working on it, wife said i don't need a battery since the car is getting put away soon.. LOL

Makes sense(For once), I will buy one in the spring
Old 10-26-2014, 08:23 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I was able to recover the battery.. so I will be able to move forward with working on it this winter
Old 10-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Jeff, that's great news. I was just about to send you my battery maintainer/conditioner to bring that battery back to life!!
You are correct that any way you move forward there will be information for me to gain and use in my tablet install, so, I'm still in for the long hall. Winter will set in and the project will move forward!!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:04 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

So the car is up on the Kwik Lift and ready for the winter projects. I have been testing out the App Radio on the bench as I can.

My next test is taking the USB DAC and seeing if I can set it up for input form the USB DAC but output on the HDMI. If I can do that all is good.. if not I need to get one other piece of equipment. not sure I will have time this week.. but planning on pulling USB DAC out of the car for testing
Old 11-08-2014, 11:56 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Battery is dead again.. I think it maybe be something with the poser supply for the tablet? just guessing..

Anyway, I will be starting to install the App Radio again, with the Android stick. I will connect the USB for my ALDL and use the MicroSD for some music and my iPod for some as well..

There is a cool android radio form China a bunch of guys on XDA are buying, but I will stick with what I have currently
Old 11-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Battery is dead again.. I think it maybe be something with the poser supply for the tablet? just guessing..

Anyway, I will be starting to install the App Radio again, with the Android stick. I will connect the USB for my ALDL and use the MicroSD for some music and my iPod for some as well..

There is a cool android radio form China a bunch of guys on XDA are buying, but I will stick with what I have currently
What is the name of the android radio from China? XDA is huge, so it is hard to know where to look.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:01 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Firewater Burns
What is the name of the android radio from China? XDA is huge, so it is hard to know where to look.
Newsmy NU3001

here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...arpad-t2865525
Old 11-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting, thanks. I was hoping it was cheep enough to play with, but its much more expensive than the app radio.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:47 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Firewater Burns
Interesting, thanks. I was hoping it was cheep enough to play with, but its much more expensive than the app radio.

Yeah, I think if I switched to something newer it wold be the App Radio 4 as it has a few more features..

I think I am also going to forgo the HDtuner at the moment. I think I can incorporate it but it goes on the HDMI line and I am concerned the added unit may cause display issues.. still deciding on it.

I do want to try another stick with a Real Time Clock
Old 11-12-2014, 08:20 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Bought a couple parts..

32gb microSD for the Stick, reader for the PC for it.. LOL

I also got a interface cable to see if I can use the iPod audio input of the App radio for the HDtuner ($12 vs $99) for the adapter

I also got a back up camera.. not that I need it
Old 11-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Dave__K
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Newsmy unit looks like a good unit Jeff. I wish I'd seen that before I got the one I did. It's more expensive than mine but looks to have some good features. I do like the fact that mine has physical controls though - i think the all-touch interface would be harder to use on the go - but maybe that's just me.

Wouldn't help with my wiring though lol

Bought a couple parts..

32gb microSD for the Stick, reader for the PC for it.. LOL

I also got a interface cable to see if I can use the iPod audio input of the App radio for the HDtuner ($12 vs $99) for the adapter

I also got a back up camera.. not that I need it
Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave__K
That Newsmy unit looks like a good unit Jeff. I wish I'd seen that before I got the one I did. It's more expensive than mine but looks to have some good features. I do like the fact that mine has physical controls though - i think the all-touch interface would be harder to use on the go - but maybe that's just me.

Wouldn't help with my wiring though lol
LOL

yeah that unit just released.. it was $330 +100 shipping so that puts me at the cost of the App Radio 4

Edit:
Back up camera I bought
Amazon.com : Esky EC170-07 Waterproof Car Rear View Backup Camera, 170 Degree Viewing Angle : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Esky EC170-07 Waterproof Car Rear View Backup Camera, 170 Degree Viewing Angle : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 11-12-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Dave__K
7th Gear

$330 I'd get it - it's showing nearly $680 for me

LOL

yeah that unit just released.. it was $330 +100 shipping so that puts me at the cost of the App Radio 4

Edit:
Back up camera I bought
Amazon.com : Esky EC170-07 Waterproof Car Rear View Backup Camera, 170 Degree Viewing Angle : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics
Old 11-12-2014, 11:15 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave__K
$330 I'd get it - it's showing nearly $680 for me
Yeah they keep changing pricing.. 2 weeks ago it was 330, then 680, yesterday was a big sale day for them at it was back at $330.

It is cool, but still has some of the audio ppping issues you are seeing with yours.. (apparently an issue with the android HUs)

Get notified of new replies

To Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Old 11-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Dave__K
7th Gear

I've noticed the price fluctuations on Alibaba before - it looks like it's definitely worth waiting for a "special".

I'm not sure if the popping is android specific, I read several posts that mentioned it with other "regular" heads. I think it maybe happens more on the android unit simply because it has more functions, so you're switching more frequently. I'm starting to seriously consider "de-bose-ing and replacing the whole setup now, but I have other issues to deal with just at the moment.

Yeah they keep changing pricing.. 2 weeks ago it was 330, then 680, yesterday was a big sale day for them at it was back at $330.

It is cool, but still has some of the audio ppping issues you are seeing with yours.. (apparently an issue with the android HUs)
Old 11-24-2014, 08:23 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

complication..

with the app radio, it requires the Android PC to boot and run ARUr.. but if I have things connected to the USB, then they will prompt prior to ARUr running.. One way to correct it might be to control power to a USB hub for all 3 cables ( ALDL, Arduino, HDTuner) thay I will have to manually switch once the Stick has booted up.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:39 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Sad to say I had to reflash my tablet from the car today.. I have to travel overseas and I need a tablet with WiFi only, Just hope all my movies I converted for my other Nexus will work.. LOL

Anyway, I am moving forward with my App radio in to the car. I can use the handsfree of the App radio and I have way to use the HDTuner (sort of a kludge, but it will work). I still might go back to the tablet, but for now this is my direction

Quick Reply: Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4