Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:36 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4 (Now NU3001)

so Last year I replaced my head unit with a Pioneer App Radio 2.

I liked it, worked great with my RAZR MAXX with ARLiberator (ARL) and even with App Radio Unchained (ARU).

I was in process of installing a Android Stick PC in the car to connect to the App Radio, but it was not truly what I wanted. This set-up still had essentially 2 OS to work with, Android and the Pioneer OS. The connections with ARL could be finicky and ultimately when I got a new phone (Droid MAXX) it no longer had the ability to connect VIA HDMI Cable to the radio which lead me down the Android PC path.

About 2 weeks ago I can across some posts where guys were installing tablets in their cars, I had thought of this lat year, but never researched it too much and thought, well I still wanted AM/FM capability from the antenna (not through data like Tunein app)

when I saw several posts regarding a cool custom ROM that would act as a host, control a FM tuner I started to look into it..

Last week I bought everything for the swap, I am just waiting on some anti-glare screen protectors

Anyway, here is my list of equipment:

Nexus 7 (2012) 32gb
Directed DMHD1000 AM/FM/HD tuner
MJS USB interface cable for tuner
USB OTG cable
USB HUB
Behringer UCA-202 (USB DAC for Audio)

I am will be using Timur's USB ROM which allows for fixed install, deep sleep and USB Host control while charging.

for Tuner control I am using b0b's HD tuner app

I just received my tablet last night, I have unlocked/rooted and installed the USB-ROM with (CM 10.1)

Next steps for me:
-Finalize the mounting solution for the car, I have it just need to get it to fit just right
-after that I can tweak my bezel (I need about 1/4 to 3/8" at the bottom to get to the main buttons)

-re-purpose a PC power supply (been meaning to do that) to get everything connected on the bench to validate and test prior to install

Here is a picture of me test fitting a Nexus 7 in my bezel just to see where I need to open up the bezel:

Hoping the weather warms up here so I can work more on this in the garage

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 01-08-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Looks like a fun project
Old 01-31-2014, 01:28 AM
1lowc5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-31-2014, 09:24 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

No new pictures yet..

BUT:
I have all the hardware ( with exception of the Anti-glare screen protector)

I got the ROM installed, connected the Behringer, HD tuner and power supply.. I verified most everything is working through the monitor output of the Behringer. Need to test through the main output still.

I think I am going to need some sort of hardware volume control, just have not determined what I want to use or if I want to add wires to the Nexus and use buttons.. Once i test fit everything if I need to mod the USB connector and move it then I will add the hardware buttons.

right now just setting up and deciding what apps to have on the unit
Old 01-31-2014, 09:27 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Looks great Jeff! Let me know if you have any issues with charging, I found a way to increase the max current cap on data connections.

Are you making the tablet removable at all?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Looks great Jeff! Let me know if you have any issues with charging, I found a way to increase the max current cap on data connections.

Are you making the tablet removable at all?
No, the Tablet will be a permanent install, that said if I pull the bezels I can take it out, but not making it portable..
I bought this Nexus 7 (2012) specifically for the car, my wife and kids each have the same tablet and I have a Nexus 7 LTE(2013) I use everyday. The nice thing is I should be able to USB Tether my phone or my LTE Tablet for internet/Pandora/Slacker/maps/Etc when I am in the car
Old 01-31-2014, 02:57 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Very cool Jeff
Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Test fitting the tablet with the mounting I came up with

here is after I tweaked the bottom of the opening so you can get to the bottom of the screen:

Need to get some pieces to make some actual mounting brackets and then attach the brackets to the tablet mount.

coming together
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

mount is almost ready, but I have it fitting right just need to attach all the pieces for the mount..

I do need a 90 degree USB for the connection and I should have enough space.

I am waiting for it to get here to try, meanwhile I will finish the mount and panel
Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

some if the equipment..

Behringer USB DAC used for Audio

Directed DMHD1000 Tuner

Classic Phoenix Gold Line Driver (boosts the Rca level output)
Old 02-07-2014, 11:13 AM
1lowc5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good
Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I got my DCDC-USB Power supply on Friday and that seems to work well..

I am waiting on the USB right angle cable in hopes it will fit without too much interference

here is the mount ( the chunk missing was when I needed to trim out a small section and it cracked) it still works well
Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Great write up!! I hope to be doing something very similar in the near future. All I had been waiting for was a way to get true FM reception without a data plan. I am shopping for my tablet now and once I have that I'll start rolling. Hopefully you'll be done, or close to it and I can learn from your experience.
Thanks for taking the time to share your project!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:17 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I would suggest the 1st Generation Nexus 7 due to USB ROM and the option that has.. I have heard the Dev is working on a similar setup for the Nexus 7 Gen 2 as well. Assuming you want to do a permanent install

the other FM option is using a DVB-T USB Tuner with the SDR Touch App. I am considering getting that to try as well. I wish I knew someone with App development Experience as I would like to see if features can be added to the HD tuner app I have

EDIT: Also if it ever gets back into the 30s here I can start working on the install in the car
Old 02-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

I have heard on a couple of other threads that the new ROM is now available for the 2nd generation Nexus tablets.
I'll probably still go with the earlier version due to price. This will be a dedicated car unit and since it's a bit of an experiment I don't want to get in too deep initially until I see if it works for me and how much I like it. Can always update later.
I was not aware of the second option for the FM tuner that you mentioned. I'll have to do some browsing to learn more about that one.
It's a bit warmer here in Florida. Feel free to come to my house to work on your project. Free beer!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:58 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

yeah the second option will only give you FM.. cost is about $15 if you find one on eBay.. plus the cost of an interface for the antenna connection (I think you can use the one in the car)

I too decided on the 1st gen tablet due to cost (although I have a 2nd gen I use everyday) if I recall right for me, the 2nd gen is a bit longer so it would be a tougher fit, but honestly I then the 1st gen has enough power for the use it will get.

I have not messed with it lately but the last time I checked it, it was idle for 3 days and only lost 9% of battery with Timur's ROM. my set-up seems like it should work out well, I do need to get a relay for amp turn on ( base off of when the power goes on for the tablet.

I am still waiting for my right angle USB too, that along with warmer weather then I will start the install.. my car still has no wheels on it and I need to swap the brakes too
Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Only 9% power drop after sleeping for 3 days is really impressive!
That is very encouraging news. First I had heard of that.
I'm still watching the auction site getting more educated on what the tablets go for on the low end so I don't end up spending more than I need to. Pretty amazing how many are available!
Hoping your weather improves soon so I can see some more updates!
Thanks again for starting this thread!

Get notified of new replies

To Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4

Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I paid $120 for a refurbished Gen 1 Nexus 7 with 32gig.. I just looked and that one is at $149 now on eBay

another good spot is www.swappa.com

I was looking there but when I saw the $119 one I jumped on it..
Old 02-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Jeff, just found and went thru your thread at the Corvette Guru Forum.
You have a really nice car by the way!!
Just curious about something. In this thread you mention the Directed 1000 receiver and in the other thread you reference a Directed 1000I. Which one did you order and is there any difference?
Thanks!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Thanks it did not start out so nice though.

I think the two models I mentioned are both the same. I got mine off of eBay. When I have a chance I will post more

Quick Reply: Nexus 7 Fixed mount in 1990 C4