Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kenwood or Pioneer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Kenwood or Pioneer?

This springs upgrade is to get rid of my original Bose system. I see Kenwood's and Pioneers. Which brand should I look at? Do I need to replace the wiring? What speakers? What sub and where? I'm a 60 yr old blues and rock fan! I've had the radio bezel out to do the MGW upgrades so I can certainly get in to the guts, but how hard are the speakers?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I have the 2013 model Kenwood and they are VERY buggy. I am looking at the Pioneer for my next HU. Go over to the KenwoodForum and you will see all the troubles over there.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:05 AM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I have the 2013 model Kenwood and they are VERY buggy. I am looking at the Pioneer for my next HU. Go over to the KenwoodForum and you will see all the troubles over there.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ies/iagree.gif

I have the DNX690HD and have nothing but issues with it. Its been to Kenwoods authorize repair shop twice in the year that I've owned it.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Zaskar
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Kenwood DDX-418 and it's garbage. Bluetooth is worthless nobody can hear me, lots of static on the other end, and when I changes modes it sometimes takes up to 45 seconds to switch over. Get a Pioneer it has to be better!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Guess I'll call the guys at DD and see what they have in Pioneer.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:57 PM
BigT2
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't say anything about the Kenwood units but I just finished putting a Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS unit in my C4 and it is great so far. I still have to finish the back up camera and my wife convinced me to add satellite radio. So as soon as that comes in I will be pulling it out again to add that in. There is even a navigation add on if I wanted that.

T
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 PM
drich2905
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Got a Kenwood DNX890 last year from Dennis. They did the install. No problems at all. It had been a great unit.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:08 PM
vettefx76
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi, I use to be an installer for many many years (just work on my own vehicles now) and seen alot more problems and come backs with Kenwood stuff than Pioneer. As far as head units go, I currently have Pioneer in all my vehicles without any problems etc.

The current Pioneer double din units have a 8 Band fully adjustable EQ, Crossover Points, etc. all of which make the system sound cleaner and nicer. I've used them in everything from a nice clean low power setup all the way to a 154+ db spl vehicle (out of that now lol) without a hitch and they never let me down.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:03 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Pioneer in my truck (basic double din and Kentwood in my Vette) I bought this past Christmas. Pioneer has better sound adjustment and more features....Otherwise Kenwood has been fine.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 AM
D.Guerra
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always used Kenwoods HU. My Denali has a Kenwood and it works perfect. I did the install in it haven't had any issues. I do want to do the radio in the Vette too but I'm considering an Alpine in that one.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a Pioneer AVH4600 in my truck and a Kenwood DDX8901 in my ZO6. The Pioneer is much quicker at booting up for Pandora. Kenwood is inconsistent in boot times. Sometimes it will boot up on it's own and others I have to plug the phone in for a brief time to get it to work. Pioneer would be my choice if I was to do the ZO6 over. Both sound good. Truck is OEM speakers. Vette is full system. Components up front and 12" in sealed fiberglass enclosure
Old 05-05-2014, 07:10 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

I have a 2013 model Kenwood DNX890HD.

Biggest piece of Bantha Fodder I have ever owned!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nomad_
I have a 2013 model Kenwood DNX890HD.

Biggest piece of Bantha Fodder I have ever owned!

After owning a DDX418, a DNX9990HD, and a DNX890HD I will DEFINITELY NEVER buy a Kenwood again. A quick google search or a browse though Kenwwod.com will enlighten any potential buyers. After 3 years of trying, including upgrading units and numerous trips to the installer, my current DNX890 has been working for a little over a year. I still deal with the slowness and crap user interface but at least it is not broken. I've never owned a Pioneer but it HAS to be better than Kenwood---if for no other reason than it could not be worse. I do not see how dealers can suggest or promote Kenwood sales. I have often wondered if it had anything to do with profit margins or some type of commission that is higher than when selling other brands. Live and learn.........I bought Kenwood after reading positive reviews from a dealer only to later have problems which were shared by a large number of other customers. This is my honest experience and opinion and hope it may help someone in the future.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:29 PM
bpenn8966
Advanced

I've had both recently, but I now have the Kenwood DNX570HD in my Z, I prefer the Kenwood, not one problem with it either. Just like anything, they're each going to have their problems, to each his own. I also take the audio forums with a grain of salt, most people aren't going to post on them raving about how great a product is, but they will take the time to say how bad it is. Just my .02
Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by bpenn8966
I've had both recently, but I now have the Kenwood DNX570HD in my Z, I prefer the Kenwood, not one problem with it either. Just like anything, they're each going to have their problems, to each his own. I also take the audio forums with a grain of salt, most people aren't going to post on them raving about how great a product is, but they will take the time to say how bad it is. Just my .02
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DNN990...owViewpoints=1
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DNX890...owViewpoints=1
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Touchs...owViewpoints=1
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DNX690...owViewpoints=1

3 minutes of searching finds these dismal reviews on Amazon and not an audio forum. I agree that most people will likely post a negative versus a positive review because their frustration will prompt a response. But I, as most people, will look at reviews on the internet when researching a purchase. I am glad you like your unit and haven't had any issues as I think every consumer should be happy when buying any company's flagship models. A company's top of the line unit should warrant more than 3 out of 5 stars in any review. These people did not spend $600-$1600 to have a car radio that is average. Believe me, I really wanted to LOVE my high dollar fancy new car stereo but I don't. It is merely adequate for me. Like I said, I am only sharing my opinions and experiences because after 3 years of frustration I am motivated to do so.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 PM
bpenn8966
Advanced

Originally Posted by radbluesfan

http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DNN990...owViewpoints=1
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DNX890...owViewpoints=1
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Touchs...owViewpoints=1
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DNX690...owViewpoints=1

3 minutes of searching finds these dismal reviews on Amazon and not an audio forum. I agree that most people will likely post a negative versus a positive review because their frustration will prompt a response. But I, as most people, will look at reviews on the internet when researching a purchase. I am glad you like your unit and haven't had any issues as I think every consumer should be happy when buying any company's flagship models. A company's top of the line unit should warrant more than 3 out of 5 stars in any review. These people did not spend $600-$1600 to have a car radio that is average. Believe me, I really wanted to LOVE my high dollar fancy new car stereo but I don't. It is merely adequate for me. Like I said, I am only sharing my opinions and experiences because after 3 years of frustration I am motivated to do so.
I understand what you're saying, and I do my research too, in the same way, but reviews on Amazon with less than 40 reviews don't tell you much when who knows how many units have sold. A one minute search finds one for the pioneer that gives it 3.5 stars not much better...as I said people aren't going to go out of there way to write rave reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B8X...&robot_redir=1

All you can do is try to do your research like we all do, and go with what you like. Every brand is going to have its lemons, I don't know of any one of them that is without its problems.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:21 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by bpenn8966
I understand what you're saying, and I do my research too, in the same way, but reviews on Amazon with less than 40 reviews don't tell you much when who knows how many units have sold. A one minute search finds one for the pioneer that gives it 3.5 stars not much better...as I said people aren't going to go out of there way to write rave reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B8X...&robot_redir=1

All you can do is try to do your research like we all do, and go with what you like. Every brand is going to have its lemons, I don't know of any one of them that is without its problems.
Thank you for sharing. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood or Pioneer?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 AM
kcarlasc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Kenwood DNN990 and DNN770 and while it has some good features and Garmin nav, its really buggy. I probably wont purchase Kenwood again and I have been a Kenwood user for years. I get the buggy, but they don't seem to care about quality anymore esp with the firmware updates that seem to not fix much and make things worse.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Well Jimmy, you need to decide on what kind of budget you are working with and what kind of features are you looking for? Do you want a double-DIN or keep it simple and leave it as a single-DIN?

There are a TON of options, a ton!

I'm just about done with mine, did the double-DIN. When I did the stereo in my brothers 1999 Vette, there were no double-DINs back then (good for me!). When he sees mine, I know what I'll be doing this summer!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:17 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I have a Kenwood in my C6 for about 4 years now. Its been a good unit the whole time. I have it running JL C5-650's up front and JL XR-550's in the rears and a JL Stealthbox in the back. Have some help powering all the stuff with 2 additional JL Amps. I'm no expert but the Kenwood hasn't let me down and I like classic rock and good blues and I like it very loud.

Quick Reply: Kenwood or Pioneer?