Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PAC OEM-1 Bypassing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 AM
JLayer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PAC OEM-1 Bypassing

Need some help here fellas....hoping someone can chime in and tell me what's happening.

I'll start off by saying that this is happening in my 06 Sierra but should still be the same concept.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...aoem-gm24.html

In my truck, I have the "premium" bose system. 7 speakers w/in dash 6 cd changer. I've been running an aftermarket amp and a 10" off my stock H/U for about a year now with the OEM-1 from PAC and the bass just wasn't there compared to my older truck without bose.

Yesterday, I started researching some truck forums and somehow the thread above got linked so I followed it. I dug into my console and following the instructions in the thread above, I decided to cut the OEM-1 box out and just splice in the RCA inputs.

Here's my problem. After getting everything wired up (I didn't solder the connections) and decided to use the rear rca pair, as soon as I plug in the left channel, I get a high pitch echo coming through all speakers. The right channel works great...gave a nice boost to my sub which is what I was looking for. Thinking that it was the rear pair, I plugged the sub into the front pair and same thing. As soon as I plugged in the left channel, that high pitch echo came in.

At one point while moving around wiring, the connector touched a metal bracket under the console and that pitch came through without having any music playing. Not sure if this is a ground problem or if it's a wiring problem. I do not have a ground loop isolator but never needed it as I never had any problem running the OEM-1.

So as of right now, I just left the left channel RCA connector unplugged until I can figure out what's going on. But just running the amp with the right channel has increased output 10 fold compared to the OEM-1 box. Glad I came across the above thread. It's been driving nuts for the past year.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Sounds like you have a short in the wires/plugs you installed, or you're on the wrong wires to begin with.

C6 prints are HERE, find a pinout for the truck and compare the wire locations.

Good instructions HERE for how to make one also.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Might have positive and negative swapped on RCA
Old 05-08-2014, 08:42 AM
JLayer
Racer

Originally Posted by markcz
Sounds like you have a short in the wires/plugs you installed, or you're on the wrong wires to begin with.

C6 prints are HERE, find a pinout for the truck and compare the wire locations.

Good instructions HERE for how to make one also.
Yup that thread was linked in the one I posted earlier. I read that one as well. I'm thinking the wire locations have to be the same since it's the same harness being used. If it wasn't, nothing would be coming out at all.

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
Might have positive and negative swapped on RCA
I thought that as well, but I'm 100% sure that the positive and negative lead are wired correctly. But I will double check again tonight.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:06 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Something isn't right. Either your wiring isn't proper, or the pinout isn't the same. Just because it's the same 24 pin plug, that doesn't mean the wires are all in the same place (a few wires are even different between early C6 and late C6, and vettes don't have 'premium' Bose). I'd find a pinout for the truck wire and verify it's the same before doing anything else.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:52 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

The echo sounds like a problem with the negative or common wire
Old 05-08-2014, 02:26 PM
JLayer
Racer

Originally Posted by markcz
Something isn't right. Either your wiring isn't proper, or the pinout isn't the same. Just because it's the same 24 pin plug, that doesn't mean the wires are all in the same place (a few wires are even different between early C6 and late C6, and vettes don't have 'premium' Bose). I'd find a pinout for the truck wire and verify it's the same before doing anything else.

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
The echo sounds like a problem with the negative or common wire

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to buy some rca connectors and solder them on to the wires. I don't think this has anything to do with the pinouts/factory harness. The system worked before with this adapter. All I did was just remove the black box and re wired it together. I hacked the black rca lines pretty bad trying to splice them to the 8 wires for the speaker lines (if that makes since).

Get notified of new replies

To PAC OEM-1 Bypassing

Quick Reply: PAC OEM-1 Bypassing