Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hopefully Epic Last Custom Stereo Project (Surely My Last)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
No worries. That's what I was suspecting as that's how mine were laying out as well. You mentioned you bought the door speaker baffles and the access hole covers from Raamaudio? I went to their site and didn't see anything. I planned to just use the mdf I have here and treat it so moisture won't effect it. But if someone sells precut solutions of a better material.....
Yes Iron, they weren't on the site. I called him with a question and he told me he had these and asked if I wanted them. He may have or could be able to make some more. Give Rick a shout.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:56 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

A bit "over the top" I think 4X...lol.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:46 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How's the progress coming? Did you end up swapping out the Alpine piece you had for the 3sixty.3?
Curious if you started mounting the head unit yet. I had to tackle it yesterday. I never thought I would have issues with a single din unit, but noooooo! Hope yours goes smoothly. Especially removing the upper brace, or both if you have to.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:54 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Finished mine up yesterday for the most part. I still have to mount the camera and the 3Sixty.3 controller.

Yes, swapped out the Alpine for the Fosgate. Dennis at DoubleD is checking with his rep as to what all I need to include in the box to ship it back. The main power harness is BURIED under the passenger's side carpet. I would rather take a beating than to have to pull that harness to ship it back. Hopefully he can get something done for me on this.

HU install wasn't that bad. Had to play around with spacing a little but overall not much hassle.

Will be posting "completed" pics shortly.

Good luck with the rest of your build.

Oh yea, I do still have to mount the read targa top mounts on the box. Will finish up when I get back from offshore.

Last edited by reath1; 07-14-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Sweet. Was there a problem with the Alpine? Why the switch to the RF? And have you figured out where you plan to mount the remote? Looking forward to the photos.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:33 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

About 95% finished and can't say that I'm not 110% GLAD. Just about 4 solid weeks of work here.

It sounds pretty amazing. I had no idea that 10's and 12's would go this low or hit this hard. For anyone wondering, I highly recommend ARC Audio Black Series subs. Of course they do like power so make sure you have a REAL amp running them.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:34 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

About 95% finished and can't say that I'm not 110% GLAD. Just about 4 solid weeks of work here.

It sounds pretty amazing. I had no idea that 10's and 12's would go this low or hit this hard. For anyone wondering, I highly recommend ARC Audio Black Series subs. Of course they do like power so make sure you have a REAL amp running them.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:40 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, 2 channels of the H800 are dead. I plan to just get Dennis to exchange it for me as he custom made my bezel with the controller mounted in it.

Not sure where I'm going to mount the Fosgate controller but probably on the side of the console by my leg. I know it's not the most ideal place but I need it in quick reach. Running this system at full tilt I have to be able to knock it down pretty quick if need be or something will go boom and let out the magic smoke...lol.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:47 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh, and getting the metal brackets wasn't that bad. 90* attachment for a drill and good sharp bits. Only had to take the top bracket out and it seriously only took about 5 minutes.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:29 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

You ever get this buttoned up?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:37 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

You ever get this buttoned up?
Yes and no Maiden. I've been waiting on my A-pillars with tweets mouned in them from Double D Mods for about 18 weeks now, he said it would be a 10 week wait, which I think is utterly ridiculous. I could have built these about 12 times myself by now. Also the Alpine processor I purchased from Dennis was not working correctly. Sent it back to him 3 weeks ago and still waiting on a replacement. So I'm pretty much dead in the water until he gets these back to me. I did purchase a 3sixty.3 and I am running all 12 channels off of that in the meantime. I'm getting to the point with this that if he doesn't get my equipment back to me soon I'm just going to rip all $10K of the system out of the car and go back to stock. That's how aggravating this is getting to be. I'm at his mercy due to the fact that I purchased about $6K worth of product from him and I will be on the hook with him as far as warranty goes. At this rate I don't like that being my option. Definitely not getting the "warm fuzzies". Know what I mean?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:27 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

reath1:

Man, that is a bummer...

I had a similar experience with Dennis, albeit on a much smaller scale in terms of $ and equipment. The original PAC amp integration interface he shipped me was defective - no RF channel output. From the time I notified him to the time I got a replacement part was 3 weeks. It took a number of emails and phone calls on my part during that time to make it happen or I think I would still be waiting.

My take on Dennis - super knowledgeable, honest, hard working guy that is in a bit over his head, especially with the move they have going on.

I tried to take all that into account and be patient, but it is really hard when you are dead in the water, car half torn apart waiting on something.

I hope it all works out for you.

I am in awe of the audio system you are building!
Old 08-08-2014, 01:51 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

That does suck. Be patient though. You put in waaaaay too much work to do something drastic like returning to stock. It will work out in the end just as all this hard work did. It looks fantastic. I'm still tinkering with mine. Been working too much to get at it and it's been in the 100s here. By the time the weekend gets here, I find myself needing to recoupe indoors where the AC is cranking. I'm about to start on the doors though. Will be mounting the midbass and midrange drivers in the stock location but need to fiberglass them in so the midrange isn't blocked by the door panel. So a trip to Taps Plastic this weekend for materials is in the cards.
Keep us posted.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:13 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
reath1:

Man, that is a bummer...

I had a similar experience with Dennis, albeit on a much smaller scale in terms of $ and equipment. The original PAC amp integration interface he shipped me was defective - no RF channel output. From the time I notified him to the time I got a replacement part was 3 weeks. It took a number of emails and phone calls on my part during that time to make it happen or I think I would still be waiting.

My take on Dennis - super knowledgeable, honest, hard working guy that is in a bit over his head, especially with the move they have going on.

I tried to take all that into account and be patient, but it is really hard when you are dead in the water, car half torn apart waiting on something.

I hope it all works out for you.

I am in awe of the audio system you are building!
I think he's a super good guy also but like you said, in way over his head. It seems he just has way too much work for the amount of people that are handling it. I would hate to be in his shoes being that busy and probably not being able to find enough people you can trust to handle your work the way you would. I am a perfectionist so I feel his pain. In the end it still sucks for his customers.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:18 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

That does suck. Be patient though. You put in waaaaay too much work to do something drastic like returning to stock. It will work out in the end just as all this hard work did. It looks fantastic. I'm still tinkering with mine. Been working too much to get at it and it's been in the 100s here. By the time the weekend gets here, I find myself needing to recoupe indoors where the AC is cranking. I'm about to start on the doors though. Will be mounting the midbass and midrange drivers in the stock location but need to fiberglass them in so the midrange isn't blocked by the door panel. So a trip to Taps Plastic this weekend for materials is in the cards.
Keep us posted.

I hear you Maiden, the heat caught me also. Not near as bad as what you are saying but it will drain you. Closed my garage up and opened the house door to it and put a fan in the doorway and cranked up house AC. Made the job much more comfortable. Get some more pics up when you get time. I've been keeping up with your build also. I wanted to go with 8's and 3's in my doors also I just couldn't make it work without fabrication which I didn't want to do. I was already into mine 5 weeks of 20 hour days. If I ever get my A-pillars and Alpine processor back I am done. It's just way aggravating waiting on equipment that I paid for in full back in March.

Hope you get yours finished up soon.

Quick Reply: Hopefully Epic Last Custom Stereo Project (Surely My Last)