Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash Cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Default Dash Cams

Looking for an HD dash cam. One that can be mounted fairly inconspicuously to prevent theft. Any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds like a conundrum to me. If you get a camera that cannot be seen, how would it prevent/deter theft as opposed to not having a camera at all? But if you get one that can be seen, they might just break it to steal the camera itself.

In any case, there are hidden cameras that are built into rear view mirrors. Google “Covert AV360” to see an example.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Inconspicuously to prevent the theft of the camera, not the car.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusher
Inconspicuously to prevent the theft of the camera, not the car.
So does said camera continuously send footage wirelessly to a remote hard drive? The camera will be gone along with your car. It will not prevent anything. Even if the car is retrieved or you do capture video, you still need to identify the thief. Hopefully you live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and their brother.
Your best bet is a gps tracking device. Ive seen this used first hand. Truck reported stolen. Owner looked on his computer. Its "here". It was started at 00:00 and it went this route. Maybe the police wont find surveillance footage during the theft and drive but more importantly, you get your car back before any or too much damage is done.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:44 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I think he's looking for a camera to record his driving, not as a security device. The 'inconspicuous to prevent theft' would then mean a camera that isn't easily spotted through the windshield to entice a smash and grab.

I'm not into dash cams, but I don't recall any 'good ones' that aren't painfully obvious when looking into the car. My suggestion would be to get the one you like best, then have some type of quick release mount for it so you can stash it under the seat when needed.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
I think he's looking for a camera to record his driving, not as a security device. The 'inconspicuous to prevent theft' would then mean a camera that isn't easily spotted through the windshield to entice a smash and grab. I'm not into dash cams, but I don't recall any 'good ones' that aren't painfully obvious when looking into the car. My suggestion would be to get the one you like best, then have some type of quick release mount for it so you can stash it under the seat when needed.
Ahhhh ok
Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by markcz
I think he's looking for a camera to record his driving, not as a security device. The 'inconspicuous to prevent theft' would then mean a camera that isn't easily spotted through the windshield to entice a smash and grab
Exactly.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:02 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Like what comes in the 2015 Z06 from the Factory.....
Old 06-13-2014, 10:17 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been poking around a bit on this. I've had my phone mounted to the windshield before and I also have a variety of mounts for my Contour camera as well. These all work well but work best for specific "event" recording like at the track.

In order to have continuous recording and features like motion detection and recording cycles I looked around for something else. Best I've seen so far is Blackvue.

Their DR550GW-2CH is what I'll be going with where I'll have a windshield and rear view mount. Car is in the shop for some tweaks and fixes but I plan on getting it in there before the end of summer.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Shady
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crusher
Looking for an HD dash cam. One that can be mounted fairly inconspicuously to prevent theft. Any suggestions?
I mounted a Lucas Ace on my DD. To keep it hidden I tinted the top of the windshield and mounted it so the body would sit in front of the rear-view mirror and the mount is in the tint. You have to really look for it to see it. I found dashcamtalk.com very useful in picking the camera for my application as the Ace has good reviews, accepts a 128 gb SD card, and handles heat well. The last is important in a parked car in the Texas heat. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Thanks guys. Your replies and opinions have been helpful. Will make a decision soon and let you know what I ended up with....
Old 03-30-2015, 04:34 PM
fbuehner
Heel & Toe

I have a 2003 anniversary convertible. I also live in Houston, the den of pickup trucks and non licensed drivers. I tried using my GoPro but it does not record both directions. I bought a Cansonic 707S, a 1080P dual camera system- front and back. If you have trucks running up your tail and want to record an accident or road pushers playing games and want a plate number, I wanted something good. We will see.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:21 AM
Tombovette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dash cam

I found this system. Might be what you are looking for.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...dash-cams.html

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Cams

Quick Reply: Dash Cams