Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation - Page 21 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Audio/Electronics
Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Old 03-25-2015, 02:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Old 02-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #401
Corvettinator
Hot-air intake powered
Support Corvetteforum!

Haven't visited this thread in a while. Curious if these can do front cameras as well as rear? Would love to be able to see parking curbs before my air damn hits them.

Is it pretty much agreed that the Joying is the best unit?

And has the crossover issue been worked around?
Corvettinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:26 PM   #402
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettinator View Post
Haven't visited this thread in a while. Curious if these can do front cameras as well as rear? Would love to be able to see parking curbs before my air damn hits them.

I used 1 of the usb s to mount a front camera for trackaddict
383 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 383 For This Useful Post:
Corvettinator (02-19-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #403
CF Senior Member

Has anyone noticed an excessive draw with the head unit or Pac harnesses? A buddy is having issues with his Pac and I haven't tested mine yet
Old 02-19-2017, 03:48 AM   #404
Z2Z
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383 View Post
Has anyone noticed an excessive draw with the head unit or Pac harnesses? A buddy is having issues with his Pac and I haven't tested mine yet
Im not sure if the HU and or the PAC are the issue, but my car will have a dead battery if I don't drive it every 6ish days. My current car is a 2009 and I installed the android radio within the first month of ownership, so I'm not sure if the car would have had this same issue with the factory radio. It is a bit annoying, but I have gotten used to "taking my car for a walk" once a week.
Z2Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #405
bjmsam
CF Senior Member

CorvetteForum is full of dead battery threads, which is why my C6Z is on a tender whenever parked for more than a few days (this one, since long before the head unit swap). For example, try a Google search on terms site:corvetteforum.com c6 dead battery days week

How much does the stock HU draw with the engine off? How much does the new HU and PAC draw with the engine off? One can only speculate without that information (could be a problem with the HU or PAC, could be a problem with the installation, could be something completely unrelated).
bjmsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #406
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmsam View Post
CorvetteForum is full of dead battery threads, which is why my C6Z is on a tender whenever parked for more than a few days (this one, since long before the head unit swap). For example, try a Google search on terms site:corvetteforum.com c6 dead battery days week

How much does the stock HU draw with the engine off? How much does the new HU and PAC draw with the engine off? One can only speculate without that information (could be a problem with the HU or PAC, could be a problem with the installation, could be something completely unrelated).
I ask because my buddy tested his amp draw from head unit and from the pack and the pack was drawing 40 milliamps and killing a battery overnight but my car will go a few days as others have said. I haven't tested yet but I will
Old 02-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #407
tracybarnes
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettinator View Post

Check this unit for direct fit and front and rear cam capability:

http://www.seicane.com/2005-2006-che...ontrol-s018724
tracybarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tracybarnes For This Useful Post:
Corvettinator (02-21-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #408
bjmsam
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I remain so pleased with the Android head unit that I installed in my C6Z nearly three years ago that I just bought another one, this time for my 2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6. These are improving all the time...
I did not run into this with my C6Z, but in case it's of interest here (regardless of vehicle or head unit):

In my RAV4, when the ignition is turned to START, the accessory circuit opens (cuts power) and triggers the HU to shut down. This is super annoying when waiting for a passenger to run an errand since I switch the ignition from ON to ACC to continue using the HU with the engine off and then suffer through a reboot when restarting the engine (ACC to START to ON), which interrupts radio, music, Bluetooth connections, navigation, etc.

To work around this problem, I added a simple circuit that uses a capacitor to keep the (typically red) ACC_PWR input to the HU live for a few seconds. Frustratingly, I next discovered that the starter motor temporarily draws the vehicle's battery voltage down to ~10V, which the HU can't tolerate on the continuous power circuit, so it still rebooted. To work around that problem, I assembled a battery pack (that is topped off when the engine is running) with another circuit to keep the (typically yellow) CON_PWR input to the HU live. No more reboots!
Old Yesterday, 01:53 AM   #409
Trios
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I did not run into this with my C6Z, but in case it's of interest here (regardless of vehicle or head unit):

In my RAV4, when the ignition is turned to START, the accessory circuit opens (cuts power) and triggers the HU to shut down. This is super annoying when waiting for a passenger to run an errand since I switch the ignition from ON to ACC to continue using the HU with the engine off and then suffer through a reboot when restarting the engine (ACC to START to ON), which interrupts radio, music, Bluetooth connections, navigation, etc.

To work around this problem, I added a simple circuit that uses a capacitor to keep the (typically red) ACC_PWR input to the HU live for a few seconds. Frustratingly, I next discovered that the starter motor temporarily draws the vehicle's battery voltage down to ~10V, which the HU can't tolerate on the continuous power circuit, so it still rebooted. To work around that problem, I assembled a battery pack (that is topped off when the engine is running) with another circuit to keep the (typically yellow) CON_PWR input to the HU live. No more reboots!
There's a software workaround, or at least there was when I had my autopumpkin unit in my C5. There were several custom MCUs around (firmware, essentially) and one of them enabled a 'time delay after key off' before it would shut the HU down completely. The screen would turn off and it would go into soft-standby, but would come back on immediately if the key was turned back.

Unfortunately in the soft-standby mode the amplifiers remained on, so the HU draws a lot of power and it can't be left that way for very long, but I had mine set for 10 minutes so if I got gas or something it would not have to do a full reboot.
Trios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #410
bjmsam
CF Senior Member

That addresses only the first problem.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation
  •