Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:34 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice Job on the Video.
How is the car audio picked up?
Is it just an interior mic?
Old 03-20-2015, 06:11 PM
bdickey058
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

How to I get the button lights to turn on? They don't light up. Also, can I dl a app to make the sound quality better. Now I have no bass and it sounds horrible. Grrr
Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bdickey058
Just had a place install this in my c6. I'm running a audison bit one processor, amps, and hertz speakers. Horrible hissing sound. Specially when you play a cd. The place that installed it was very helpful. I'm sure I'll have to bring it back but what do you think the hissing sound is. Also the volume doesn't go up all that loud.
Originally Posted by bdickey058
How to I get the button lights to turn on? They don't light up. Also, can I dl a app to make the sound quality better. Now I have no bass and it sounds horrible. Grrr
If your shop got the wiring right, then the button lights can be controlled via Settings -> Element (my model with the blue lights ironically needs RED to be all the way up). Connected to the stock Bose amp, my system sounds at least as good as it did with the stock HU: plenty of volume, plenty of bass, and no hiss. It's hard to imagine a professional installer sending you home with it in the state you describe. Take it back, and if they blame the HU, then have them bench test it with a different amp and/or temporarily feed your amp with a different source. This isn't rocket science! Good luck.

Originally Posted by CROOZ1N
Nice Job on the Video.
How is the car audio picked up?
Is it just an interior mic?
The audio is from the camera's built-in mic. It's not great, but for $75 I can't complain.

Last edited by bjmsam; 03-20-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Are there duty/shipping charges coming from Hong kong to the US?
Is it really free shipping? The 4.4 Pumpkin unit on Ebay
Old 03-21-2015, 05:37 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by 383
Are there duty/shipping charges coming from Hong kong to the US?
Is it really free shipping? The 4.4 Pumpkin unit on Ebay
In my case, shipping was included in the price and no duty was charged.
Originally Posted by bjmsam
It was a typical eBay sale and arrived via DHL with no customs tariffs or delays. The seller communicates promptly and has a much better command of English than I do of Cantonese.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:29 PM
bdickey058
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Going to try a different head unit and see if i just got a faulty head unit or if the wiring is all messed up. With my vehicle now after this new placed installed the deck for me sometimes my car doesnt want to start. It will basically just click.... then once the amps have all turned on the dash lights will come on and the gauges do a sweep, once that happens you can turn the vehicle on.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:38 AM
leon_id
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine around the same time last year from aliexpress.com site for $250. http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6090711383.html There's a certain message exchange protocol usually, as the seller is trying to sell you OBD2 device compatible with this unit for about $80 I believe. Some pricier units are already compatible with any ELM327 OBD2. And a TV! Usually, because I got first similar HU for my Honda CRV, but that has CRV dashboard fitted faceplate and CANBUS to connect to wheel buttons. Unfortunately C6 Corvette fitted HU on aliexpress site are only WINCE6.0 OS and not Android. Have no idea why as it seems to me the internals can be easily switched and the front panel with the screen and all mounting holes left. Was surprised several other cars including Hummer H3 use the same radio. So I also got universal one, bezel, cut it, got BOSE adapter/harness. One of the dimension you should be aware of is deepness - mine is 146mm as shown on pictures. Many are like 176mm or something and there's a mounting plate behind the HU and wires are also sticking out a little. So you want it shorter. Also while messaging with the seller you can ask for device buttons highlights. However on some devices this light is controlled by a builtin android app.
All additional info on this device and how to customize/upgrade it you can find here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2528349
there's a drawback - it consumes electricity being off. Don't remember how much, I think couple of weeks is enough for a dead battery. The good thing - it has a sleep feature of not being fully off on short stops like 10/30/60 minutes.

I cant share internet from my phone and was looking for a free internet. Found this company - FREEDOMPOP. They're using SPRINT network and have several data plans including a totally FREE one with 500Mb limit with WiMAX Overdrive or Photon hotspot for about $20-30 one time pay. But only in WiMAX mode. However recently they started selling freedompop phones for $25+ depending on the phone, which also have totally free plan with 200min/500sms/500Mb data. But in this case those phones are SPRINT 3g/LTE which has data coverage almost everywhere. Data limit can be easily increased to monthly 1Gb, again - FREE. and with some extra clicks plus extra 500Mb on demand. Android folks can turn this phones into a hotspot too. I also added some automation to make it start with ACC and activate tether app once it botted - and have in-car internet everywhere.
Dont ask me how they make money on free internet - I have no idea.

Last edited by leon_id; 03-23-2015 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like for a bit more you can get a quad-core unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-core-1-6GHz-Android-4-4-Double-2Din-Car-DVD-GPS-Player-Radio-Stereo-Wifi-/381197607525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c125e265
Old 03-26-2015, 02:39 AM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trios
Looks like for a bit more you can get a quad-core unit:

Quad Core 1 6GHz Android 4 4 Double 2Din Car DVD GPS Player Radio Stereo WiFi | eBay

I'm gonna give this one a try.

The unit that I installed went TU....the first sign of trouble that I noticed was that the menu items relating to the individual control of the volume inputs / outputs disappeared. I had no way to change the mute of the music when the camera was activated, could not change the volume of the phone, etc. I thought that I was mistaken, and spent about an eternity double checking...

The next thing I noticed was that whenever I tried to download ANYTHING from the Play store, I got the message "Unfortunately the application.android.media.android has stopped functioning."

I contacted the seller, they sent me a link to DL a movie to watch which shows how to reboot / reload / update the system....no spoken words, just a video. They also sent a link to (I guess) the update file. Again, no instructions on what to do with the .RAR file, how / where to extract it, how to extract the file structure, etc.

That crap didn't work.....I bought a 32Gb micro SD card, and I tried EVERY possible combination of file / folders, etc. Didn't work.

I emailed the seller again....waited another day for a response.

When they emailed me back, they told me to use an 8 Gb SD card, and told me how to structure the files / directories.

THAT crap didn't work, either. $28 for the 32Gb card, $18 for the 8 Gb card....

They offered to take the HU for evaluation....but THAT won't work; I am at an APO address, and they don't ship to an APO....so IF they were to fix or replace it, they will have to send it to my APO.com address, then it will cost ME ANOTHER $30 in shipping to get it here! Not only THAT, but for the duration (how long DOES it take to ship the HU from Korea to China; then wait on them to fiddle-fart around with it, then ship it to my APO.com address, then THEY ship it to my address in Korea?!!) Well, I can tell you that I won't be having a hole in my Corvette for that period!

I'm demanding a refund, and I shouldn't have any trouble getting it due to Ebay's protection policy.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna either order the unit in the post above, or just go with the one from the original poster.

Wish me luck!!

Regards,
KoreaJon
Old 03-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Quick2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my unit installed for a couple of days now. It seems to be a really nice piece. I'm very pleased with it. Everything works as it should. Except I still can't figure out the button lights. I can go from settings> elements and put in whatever color that I want. The color will show on boot up but doesn't come on with my lights. Maybe my shop has the orange lamination wire is wired wrong. I'm sure it's not the unit. It's real slick!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by Trios
Looks like for a bit more you can get a quad-core unit
Nice! That one is listed on their site as the KD-C0234.

Originally Posted by KoreaJon
I'm gonna either order the unit in the post above, or just go with the one from the original poster.
It's hard to tell who in this thread has which model HU. Mine is the JY-C0227, which I believe is now the GS-C0219 (the D model adds DVB-T).

Originally Posted by leon_id
I got mine around the same time last year from aliexpress.com site for $250.
Different vendor, older version of Android, slower processor, no internal wifi, etc.

Originally Posted by KoreaJon
I am at an APO address, and they don't ship to an APO.
Use your Korean address for items not shipped from the States.

Originally Posted by Quick2
I had my unit installed for a couple of days now. It seems to be a really nice piece. I'm very pleased with it.
Great! Which model?

Originally Posted by Quick2
I still can't figure out the button lights. I can go from settings> elements and put in whatever color that I want. The color will show on boot up but doesn't come on with my lights. Maybe my shop has the orange lamination wire is wired wrong.
Your shop can find guidance on wiring the illumination lead here.

Last edited by bjmsam; 10-10-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: model number clarification
Old 03-26-2015, 09:22 PM
Quick2
Instructor

I installed the Pumpkin Kit Kat 4.4!

Thanks bjmsam for all your help with this thread. Just got to get that lamination wire straight.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

So what's the conclusion on the audio quality?? I am in the market for a new radio. Was gonna get some name brand but then I saw this. Really tempted to buy the pumpkin kit kit 4.4
Old 03-28-2015, 11:07 PM
Quick2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jcbarr25
So what's the conclusion on the audio quality?? I am in the market for a new radio. Was gonna get some name brand but then I saw this. Really tempted to buy the pumpkin kit kit 4.4
Sound quality is very good.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:09 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

good. Well I might have to give this a shot. I really love the connectivity and the functions available. I have always been big on audio and have always bought name brand. but I have always realized that all I need is a good sounding system to please me. It all comes from before I used to compete in car audio competition.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:17 AM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just pulled the trigger on the quad-core unit! And a backup camera.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcbarr25
Ive got about 5 of the different overseas units ranging from dedicated to fit certain vehicles (bmw) to the android deals like this.

If you need a radio to fit a particular car they rock. Since most are tailored to look factory for those.

If you want to play with android etc and want open ended design and are into the technical features they rock.

But and Im not downing them as I like the ones I have, they are not audiophile material.

Pioneer and the other head units sound better. Again they sound good and some even sound great but I haven't heard one yet they could touch the high end units on sound quality.

Great units unless you want perfect sound.

The radio sound quality and the sensitivity(stations it will pick up) its pretty bad even to the point of being unusable unless your right beside the station. But I don't really listen to the radio so I don't fault them that much for that.

Nice looking installs for the ones posted in here

Get notified of new replies

To Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Old 03-30-2015, 05:37 AM
bjmsam
Pro

The radio sensitivity (when connected to the stock antenna) and sound quality (when connected to the stock Bose amp) are comparable to the stock HU.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:17 AM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The radio sensitivity (when connected to the stock antenna) and sound quality (when connected to the stock Bose amp) are comparable to the stock HU.
Can you hook up to the Bose amp as it comes out the box or do I need something extra?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:43 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by 383
Can you hook up to the Bose amp as it comes out the box or do I need something extra?
The parts described in my first post worked for me, but there are probably other ways to do it.
I used the PAC Radio Pro 5 Radio Replacement Interface (RP5-GM11) for compatibility with OnStar and the Bose amp.

Quick Reply: Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation