Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave70
And can you play video from your phone through Bluetooth or just audio. Can you control from the h/u or just from the phone. Scanning playlists and such.
If you put the music on the MicroSD slot of the head unit you can control everything from the headunit; if you stream via Bluetooth from the phone, you have a bit less control (you can skip tracks but I don't remember being able to search for specific songs).
Old 06-13-2016, 11:15 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Leaning towards switching to one of these from my Newsmy.. I found a Joying I like and will make fit in the car. I miss a volume ****. the Newsmy is a touch and if it were in my daily driver I could use my Steering controls, but being in my C4 it is a bit of a bummer

I also am sort of ticked the Radio does not that RDS, I assume on these the RDS will display if avail? I tend to listen to the radio at times, so that will be a nice feature. I have an HD tuner connected right now, but the C4 reception is not the greatest so it tends to fall in and out of HD. The price is right for the until I am looking at.. being a Joying with Android 5.1.1

Any opinions on Joying?
Old 06-16-2016, 02:02 AM
Z2Z
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Leaning towards switching to one of these from my Newsmy.. I found a Joying I like and will make fit in the car. I miss a volume ****. the Newsmy is a touch and if it were in my daily driver I could use my Steering controls, but being in my C4 it is a bit of a bummer

I also am sort of ticked the Radio does not that RDS, I assume on these the RDS will display if avail? I tend to listen to the radio at times, so that will be a nice feature. I have an HD tuner connected right now, but the C4 reception is not the greatest so it tends to fall in and out of HD. The price is right for the until I am looking at.. being a Joying with Android 5.1.1

Any opinions on Joying?
My unit is a Joying and I love it. I just drove the coast to coast and back. It never skipped a beat and google maps was perfect. The one I have had a volume **** and it is a real nice feature. I covered my joying logo with an old BOSE logo.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:29 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

How is the radio reception? I tend to us the radio quite a bit

EDIT: I ordered one.. Joying UL130 with 5.1.1

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 06-20-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:57 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Here is a mock up of the unit in the modded bezel:

just need to find time for the install
Old 07-01-2016, 04:04 PM
Z2Z
Racer

^^^ Jeff this looks great. In response to you PM i will post here too, so everyone can benefit from the info.

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
How did you get the corvette flags on the radio? I have a img I want to use, but for booting up don't I need a video?
My radio is 4.4.4 yours may vary. This is also a slightly different radio in my truck. I have it set up with my company logo.

1 open settings app
2 scroll to bottom of left menu
3 tap "factory settings"
4 enter password 126
5 tap the "car logo" tab at the top
6 tap "custom" and find your image (I used a .jpg) It helps if your image is already the native resolution. Mine was 1024x600.

Last edited by Z2Z; 07-01-2016 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 08-06-2016, 02:05 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

So today is my wedding anniversary, & what did the Mrs. get me as a present?........

yep, you guessed it, a Pumpkin Android head unit w/backup camera!

so now I need to read back through this thread & see what else I need to install. hoping to order any additional stuff I need & be able to install next weekend.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:38 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by *El Ocho*
So today is my wedding anniversary, & what did the Mrs. get me as a present?........

yep, you guessed it, a Pumpkin Android head unit w/backup camera!
Congratulations! I have had mine for two years now and remain completely satisfied. It's hard to imagine my C6Z without it!
BTW, the plastic film that comes on the screen serves as a useful template for cutting a proper matte (anti-glare) protector, such as the one I purchased from Halo.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:56 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

cool, good to know. thanks.

She actually got it for me because I saw this thread & told her about it. I would've never thought about an android HU if I hadn't read your tthread.

I think that in the next few weeks I may have to PM you a few questions, lol.

Last edited by *El Ocho*; 08-06-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:06 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I may have to PM you a few questions
Please post to the thread so others have an opportunity to participate and benefit!
Old 08-06-2016, 03:44 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

yeah. good point. will do.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:08 PM
Wingrider1996
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Z2Z I'm considering installing the same Joying Android radio you have, I'm assuming its a US-JY-UL135 . Can you tell me what wiring harness you needed to connect this to the C6 factory harness? Did you get it from Joying?

Also did you need a you need a dash kit and if so what did you use?
Was an antenna adapter needed?
Anything else required.

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thanks

Last edited by Wingrider1996; 08-06-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Z2Z
Racer

Originally Posted by Wingrider1996
Z2Z I'm considering installing the same Joying Android radio you have, I'm assuming its a US-JY-UL135 . Can you tell me what wiring harness you needed to connect this to the C6 factory harness? Did you get it from Joying?

Also did you need a you need a dash kit and if so what did you use?
Was an antenna adapter needed?
Anything else required.

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thanks
Sorry for a delayed response, I just saw this.

I do not remember the PNs for all the stuff I got. I used all the things that bjmsam used in the first post.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:14 AM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Ok, so I wired up the RP5GM11 harness to the HU's wire harness. one thing I did notice was that the radio had 2 black ground wires, but then looking at the info booklet it said that the thicker black wire was a BATT+.....

never seen a POS wire be black, but anyways, what did you connect that wire to? the RP5GM11 harness doesn't have a second positive power connection, just the switched 12v
Old 08-28-2016, 09:51 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Ok, so I wired up the RP5GM11 harness to the HU's wire harness. one thing I did notice was that the radio had 2 black ground wires, but then looking at the info booklet it said that the thicker black wire was a BATT+.....

never seen a POS wire be black, but anyways, what did you connect that wire to? the RP5GM11 harness doesn't have a second positive power connection, just the switched 12v
On the interface adapter...

Yellow = constant B+
Red = switched
Black = ground
Old 08-29-2016, 09:33 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Hmm, ok. thanks.

I had yellow connected to the yellow from the HU, but now, looking at the wire description the HU doesn't identify the yellow wire......
Old 09-02-2016, 09:55 AM
KIMCHI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am preparing to purchase a Joying Unit can someone check my work to verify that I have everything I need? TIA!

2007 Corvette Z06, Bose, No Onstar, Steering Wheel Controls

- Joying Head Unit JY-UL135
- Metra 95-3304
- PAC RP5-GM11
- Crimestopper Backup Camera SV-6819EM
- Metra 95-3304 Face Plate

Am I missing anything? Also, is it possible to utilize the built in Microphone? I've done some searching but haven't found anything super conclusive. Finally, is it possible to install 2 backup camera's, one in the rear, and one in the front, and easily switch to it from the HU without an external switch?

Thanks for everything!

Get notified of new replies

To Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Old 09-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by KIMCHI
I am preparing to purchase a Joying Unit can someone check my work to verify that I have everything I need? TIA!

2007 Corvette Z06, Bose, No Onstar, Steering Wheel Controls

- Joying Head Unit JY-UL135
- Metra 95-3304
- PAC RP5-GM11
- Crimestopper Backup Camera SV-6819EM
- Metra 95-3304 Face Plate

Am I missing anything? Also, is it possible to utilize the built in Microphone? I've done some searching but haven't found anything super conclusive. Finally, is it possible to install 2 backup camera's, one in the rear, and one in the front, and easily switch to it from the HU without an external switch?

Thanks for everything!
As referenced here, you can save $100 by not using the GM11 harness because it's not necessary with the Android HUs.

You could install a front camera to the unit's aux input, then open the input stream when you want to see forward. In my last Vette, I used a switch that I had mounted to the top of the dead pedal that cut in the forward camera and tricked the HU into thinking the 'reverse' circuit was on, but you said you don't want an external switch.

Finally, so far nobody has been able to get the built-in mic to work, at least not acceptably. I was going to try something like this when I finally get around to purchasing (another) one of these.
The following users liked this post:
KIMCHI (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:18 PM
KIMCHI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does that PCB board do?

If I did end up using the switch what would I need to do????
Old 09-02-2016, 11:29 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by KIMCHI
What does that PCB board do?

If I did end up using the switch what would I need to do????
I'm really sorry to put it this way, but it's one of those "If you don't already know what it is, you probably shouldn't try and make it work" sort of things. It's an adjustable preamplifier; you could plug the car's mic into it (it wouldn't have a standard plug, so you'd have to work around that on the PCB) and plug it into 12v power and into the headunit, and adjust it until the mic worked. I don't know if it would work or not, but it's something I would try before I gave up on using the factory mic.

As for the switch, this post explains what I did and as I expected, I didn't get any interference.

Quick Reply: Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation