Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5Z or FRC audio/speaker combos?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:28 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Default C5Z or FRC audio/speaker combos? UPDATE..System complete.(Pics)

About to start an audio build on my C5Z. I already have 6.5" Focal Components for the doors, a 10" Image Dynamic sub for the trunk and a couple of Alpine stackable amps. My question is for the rear fill.. Do we REALLY need rear speakers for a good, full sound or is some good components up front and a sub in the rear sufficient for the small cabin of an FRC?

I have some Boston Acoustic Sl60 components I could use for the rear speakers but, I am thinking I'd rather not install them, then I only have to run one amp, less wiring/cross overs etc etc...and less fighting the install trying to get the panels out with the roll cage in there... I'll do it if need be but... I'm just thinking front components would likely be plenty.

I'm not trying to shake the neighborhood, just have a good, clean, full sound.... I want it simple and effective..

Thoughts?

Last edited by ajrothm; 10-25-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:44 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

if you have a 10 then yes, that's going to oversub just a pair of components in the doors. use the matching 5.25" coaxes in the rear

do you have a 4ch or 5ch amp? or multiple amps for the sub and highs?

i had just components and an 8w3v3 for awhile and it was really easy to oversub the sound and i listen to house/ trance a lot

after adding the rears the balance improved dramatically , the 8 isn't bad still but i could do a 10 if i didn't mind the extra weight and loss of center storage and still have it sound great.

if you have 4 channels available for the highs that would be ideal. if you don;t you can use L pads to fade or make resistor networks to taylor the rear sound to your liking

Last edited by racebum; 07-30-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Yes I have two amps.. One 4 channel Alpine for the front/rear components, and then one 2 channel Alpine for the subs. I had this entire system in a truck a couple years ago, I bought everything new in 2012, then sold the truck after 6 months and kept the stereo stuff..

More then likely, I'll just install all 4 components, run both amps, one sub.

For the head unit I am using the Alpine INE-Z928HD, 8" NAV unit and Double D bezel.

I guess I just didn't want to have any more stuff in there then I NEEDED but.... I guess since I have it all, I'll use it... That's if the 6.5s will fit in the rear sail panels...Not sure on that. They are very narrow and small magnets compared to the Focal fronts.

Basically gonna look like this:

Using a single corner box like this one:

Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 PM
racebum
Race Director

6.5s won't fit the rear, you need a 5.25" coax but you can get matching focal 5.25s starting around 119 a pair, not sure which set of front components you have

do you have two sets of 6.5s?

you already have the amp power and major retailers like woofersetc are always having sales on focal
Old 07-31-2014, 12:01 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racebum
6.5s won't fit the rear, you need a 5.25" coax but you can get matching focal 5.25s starting around 119 a pair, not sure which set of front components you have

do you have two sets of 6.5s?

you already have the amp power and major retailers like woofersetc are always having sales on focal
Yes, both sets are 6.5" components... The Bostons are 6.5"s but way smaller magnets and more shallow then the Focals.

I wasn't sure if I could squeeze the 6.5s in the rear or not but.... I may as well just buy some 5.25" coax for the rear and not have to mess with cross overs back there...

Hell I even thought about leaving the Bose rears in and running them off the HU just for some rear fill...thus not having to run a second amp...

More then likely, I'll just buy a set of coax for the rear. I'll check out woofersetc. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:45 AM
racebum
Race Director

it's just shallow back there. i used morel tempos in my rear and the mags were hitting the composite. had to get creative with how i mounted. a 6.5 would have no hope in hell of fitting.

i think it was woofers etc or ebay i remember seeing entry level focal 5.25 coaxes for 109 or 119 shipped.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:49 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

So I bought the Focal coaxial that RaceBum recommended.. Now just waiting on my bezel and and Alpine INE-z928 head unit from Double D Mods...

I do have a small dilemma, my 10" ID sub does not fit in my Vettenuts corner box, the frame is too big. I'm gonna either have to buy another sub or swap my Focal A25 10" sub out of my 71' and see if it fits, then use the ID sub in my 71'. I was really hoping the ID sub would fit as I have two of them just sitting here..

Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 PM
racebum
Race Director

i'd try swapping your other sub first. that's a real dilemma if the ID sub won't fit. usually those ID subs are a great bang for the buck, kind of sucks you can't use it. but, before you go buy another and take chances, maybe swapping would work. sealed boxes are really forgiving if internal volume changes a bit
Old 08-16-2014, 09:22 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

I was able to get the ID sub to work. I had to clock it at an odd position to get it to go but it did. The problem was the wire lugs on the voice coils were hitting a mid level in the box, however in one position it have a gap in that mid level the lugs would clear, letting the sub drop in.

I talked to my installer this weekend to get the plan together for everything. We are pretty much just waiting on the bezel and head unit from Double D mods, they are way backed up.. Probably be a month before I get everything from them.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:10 PM
racebum
Race Director

need to find a sweat shop in china to make those double din bezels. there is SO much profit to be had. prices on those are just insane for a piece of plastic
Old 08-19-2014, 04:02 AM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I'll be installing an Alpine PDX F4 in my DragWeek car this week. Oddly enough it could be your Z06s identical twin.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:33 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

When I get around to doing mine, I am not going with rears. I will be using a corner 10 and components in front like you. I think it will sound good, if not, I can do the rears later and run off head unit.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
When I get around to doing mine, I am not going with rears. I will be using a corner 10 and components in front like you. I think it will sound good, if not, I can do the rears later and run off head unit.
I'm doing this as well. I have my Pioneer TC-720prs components running off the front channels of my Alpine PDX amp and will eventually add a sub later running off the rear channels.

- Travis
Old 09-17-2014, 10:22 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
That will likely sound fine.. In my 71', I only run Focal 5.25" components in the front kick panels and a 10" sub in the rear. It sounds fine.. It does lack some mid bass and mid level vocals but....the fronts are only 5.25"s so.... For the most part, it sounds pretty damn good.

The reason I wanted to run the rear coax speakers in the z06 is due to the front component placement in the doors. My knee/leg literally lay against the speaker grill so I know ill block lot of the sound out(it does this now with the bose junk)... I figure some rear fill will equalize it all and add some midrange sound

I'm still waiting on my bezel and head unit from Double D mods.. As soon as I get it, the car goes to the install shop.. I can't wait.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Finally got all my stuff done... Thanks to Dennis at DoubleD Mods for building the bezel and some accessories.... Thanks to Mark at M2 Customs for the install...

Now I need to figure out a Parking Brake bypass for the unit because they have an Iron Maiden on this thing...can't do anything without the parking brake on..

System came out well, sounds KILLER.... Definitely way more then the small cockpit needed... and I definitely could have done without the rear coax speakers and 2nd amp...Their output is not worth the hassle...They are way out played by the front stage... Oh well....

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z or FRC audio/speaker combos?

Quick Reply: C5Z or FRC audio/speaker combos?