Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

God... please help me with this strange setup...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 PM
linchou
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default God... please help me with this strange setup...

Hi,
I recently bought a used "12 C6 Coupe from local owner.
The previous owner has Very Strange DIY audio setup.
He told he he just don't want to add a huge sub box in the trunk and want to keep factory style setting....

1)Kenwood DNN990HD(this is pretty nice),
2)JL C2 350x(door)
3)Polk Audio DB1001 Tweeters with ln-line crossover(dash),
4)JL C2 525(Rear),
5)Stock 2012 version Bose Sub (don't have self-power amp on themselves)
And 3 Amps....
6)Kenwood KAC-5001PS mono sub amp
he connected the (+) from Amp to Left sub's (+),Left sub's(-)to Right Sub's(+), Right Sub's(-) to Amp's(-). He created 2 ohm load to amp. 0 Gain, 0 Boost on amp and -15 volume on HU. idk how, but he made these subs sounds right.
7)Kenwood KAC-2404S 4ch amp for Front C2-350x and Polk Audio DB1001. He use Y-rca adapters to split 2 front channel outputs to 4 outputs. Maybe he want separate volume adjustment for tweeters.
8) finally, Kenwood KAC-5206 for rear speakers.

Ok, now, here is the problem.
The high is too thin, and rear are strange. Sounds like the rears should be in front doors.
So, I am just wondering, if I can connect rear to front channel and use it to fill up the missing range.)
I really really really want to redo the whole system. But currently dont have extra money to do so.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:14 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

He didn't want to take up space with a sub, but there are 3 amps in the car

Last edited by markcz; 08-04-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Look under the carpet in front of passengers feet to see if the stock amp is still there. If it is, you can remove all of the new amps and go back to that with currently installed speakers for a 'balanced' system while you decide what to do long term.

Try adjusting the HU settings and amp gains on front speakers to see if you can get better highs from fronts.

Turn down rear amp gain so they blend better with front.

The mono amp would be good for a 10" corner sub box (about $350-400 for 300w at 4ohms or 500w at 2ohms).

The 4 ch amp can be bridged to 130w x2 at 4ohms if you want to get components for the doors (another $150-250, but not until the sub is in back).

Lots of possibilities

Get notified of new replies

To God... please help me with this strange setup...

Quick Reply: God... please help me with this strange setup...