Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 door speaker depth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 PM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 door speaker depth?

I've found the thread with the picture of the rough opening where I can basically put anything I want there. However, I cannot find the post about depth. My intention is to put and 8" mid bass driver with a 4" and tweeter. I've been searching for shallow 8"s but is hate to order so something and have to send it back. Can anyone give me a rough depth or at least so me speaker options for 8s?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:47 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used dynaudio 8s in my doors. IIRC, there's tons of room in there.

However, if you have a fine ear, I'd actually steer you away from big powerful drivers in the doors. There's just no way to stiffen them enough. Even with reinforced doors/tons of deadening/extensive decoupling, the dyn 8s were just too much for C5 doors. I couldn't use them to their potential, and they didn't play high enough in a 2 way configuration, so I had to cross the tweets low, which means ugly reflections at dash level.

the next problem is the 4" will be half blocked by the door panel.

I tried using a 3 way set with a 6" speaker, and this is what it looked like:

that's a dome mid, so I could overlap the rings without a problem. Even with all that, you couldn't hear it properly unless you shoved your head into the footwell.

Last edited by Kale; 08-18-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:27 AM
ZeeOwe6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kale
I used dynaudio 8s in my doors. IIRC, there's tons of room in there.

However, if you have a fine ear, I'd actually steer you away from big powerful drivers in the doors. There's just no way to stiffen them enough. Even with reinforced doors/tons of deadening/extensive decoupling, the dyn 8s were just too much for C5 doors. I couldn't use them to their potential, and they didn't play high enough in a 2 way configuration, so I had to cross the tweets low, which means ugly reflections at dash level.

the next problem is the 4" will be half blocked by the door panel.

I tried using a 3 way set with a 6" speaker, and this is what it looked like:

that's a dome mid, so I could overlap the rings without a problem. Even with all that, you couldn't hear it properly unless you shoved your head into the footwell.
My fine ears are long gone from several years of SPL competitions and just loving loud music. Haha.

So from the looks of it, I can put just about any 8" in there and depth behind the 8" is not an issue? I would think that with the window down I would be getting into the glass or the hardware sooner or later??
Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's pretty damn deep. The dyns are 3 something inches and had room left. Keep in mind you can get the speakers more room with rings too.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 door speaker depth?

Quick Reply: C5 door speaker depth?