Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C5 corvette aftermarket radio staying on after opening door.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 AM
ascott1911
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 corvette aftermarket radio staying on after opening door.

i posted this last night in the C5 tech section, but i figured it might be more applicable here as well.

I have a 2002 C5 ( 156k miles and counting )with an aftermarket radio installed by the previous owner. I swapped out the battery today and everything has been working well thus far except that I noticed that the headunit was still on after shutting the car off, opening the door, etc.

I figured it might be a door open switch not triggering the retained accessory power to turn off so i let it sit for a while. I came back 30 minutes later and it was still on. At this point i pulled the fuse for the radio to prevent it from draining my battery over night.

The radio itself has worked normally with the RAP system prior to this point. It is an older Clarion flip-up unit (would not have been my choice, for sure...); Is there any sort of aftermarket electric *stuff* that might have been needed for the install that i could have fubar'd when swapping the battery?

So far:
door ajar warnings work as expected
only additional aftermarket electronics to my knowledge would be a column lock bypass
security light in gauge cluster works as intended.
all other behavior is normal regarding lights, etc.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

There isn't an oem 12v RAP signal that can be tapped in to for an aftermarket radio install in C5, so if you had RAP with an aftermarket radio it was being supplied by an aftermarket adapter. Most likely the GM-Rap, possibly an Accessory Valet or something else.

I'd guess that your aftermarket adapter either got fried or if you're lucky it may just need to be 'reset'. I have no idea how that would be done, but I would suggest to disconnect the battery again and this time hold both of the +/- battery leads together for a minute to discharge any capacitors, then reconnect. Maybe you'll get lucky.

If it still stays on, you can take the dash apart and just connect the red radio power wire to a switched source in the footwell fuse box area. You'll lose RAP, but the radio will turn off again.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 PM
ascott1911
7th Gear

well, i've had the fuse out for more than 24 hours now, so we'll see how it acts in the morning. hopefully it's just a glitch and it'll work normally, but i have a feeling i'll be pulling the dash apart and running a wire over to an ACC / ON power source...
Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

if you have a Metra XSVI harness
thats your problem
these are known to go bad and do this....thats why I only use the roemvet1 from pac Audio with our installs and packages
Old 03-13-2015, 06:13 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I have this going on now, radio has been in the car for 4 weeks. I put a red top battery in and now have this issue, any hep?
Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 PM
ascott1911
7th Gear

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I have this going on now, radio has been in the car for 4 weeks. I put a red top battery in and now have this issue, any hep?
mine was solved by leaving the fuse unplugged for about 24 hours. plugged it back in and everything works fine to this day.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:54 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I fixed it. When the battery was installed it was weak. When I tried to start the car if "clicked'...this tripped something in the car.

I unhooked the positive battery post and put it on charge...still did it.

Pulled fuse 24 in the passenger floor, unhooked the battery for 15 min.

Hooked battery up turned on key and it was working correctly, put fuse 24 back in.

Seems fine for now.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 corvette aftermarket radio staying on after opening door.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 corvette aftermarket radio staying on after opening door.