Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 Rearview mirror power question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:06 AM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C6 Rearview mirror power question

As said in the title, this is for a C6 (2005 to be precise).

I am going to be wiring up a dash cam, once the one I want gets released. Ideally, drawing power from the mirror is the way I would want to go.

Does anyone have the diagram for the mirror plug or know if it has a continuous, as well as switched power source?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/radar.html
Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Thanks Mark!

Hah, I feel a bit silly now, being that I was linking Bugman's guide to trim care, in a post, just last week! Having zero interest in detectors until dash cams came along, I guess I was blind to the link.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewater Burns
As said in the title, this is for a C6 (2005 to be precise).

I am going to be wiring up a dash cam, once the one I want gets released. Ideally, drawing power from the mirror is the way I would want to go.

Does anyone have the diagram for the mirror plug or know if it has a continuous, as well as switched power source?

Thanks for the help.
Got a link to the dash cam you are buying or already bought? I am curious to see what it looks like. I'm no expert, but I'd check power requirements of that camera vs. what is provided by the mirror.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 AM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Originally Posted by slickstick
Got a link to the dash cam you are buying or already bought? I am curious to see what it looks like. I'm no expert, but I'd check power requirements of that camera vs. what is provided by the mirror.
I was planning on getting the GuardTrak GT2S when it was released. The owner of GuardTrak wants this line to be the top in the industry, so it took much longer than planed to iron out the bugs. The technology out paced them, and the chipset manufacturer is retiring the platform they were using a little early, so they had to scrap the GT2S.

I am now waiting on the GT7S. It is using the same basic set up, with a different chipset, so it shouldn't take them as long to get the bugs out.

Here is the link to the GT7S. The website is a little slow, so HERE is a link to the GT2S discussion, where the owner provides updates.

On the subject of power, the cam is designed for vehicles (unlike many that are primary designed to compete with GoPro), as such, it wires directly into 12 or 24 Volt. In terms of amperage, I originally thought of modifying a Blendmount, so I went off of their website. They use a 2 amp fuse on their mirror wire for radar detectors. The owner of GuardTrak said that 2 amps would be plenty. I figured, once I got the camera, I would then get the voltmeter out and double check.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Rearview mirror power question

Quick Reply: C6 Rearview mirror power question