Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Keeping factory bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:11 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Keeping factory bluetooth

If I use the Pac rp5-gm11 in my '13 GS does it retain the factory bluetooth like it says in it's feature's chart? Everybody says it doesn't so I don't know what to believe. All is I do know is I have a Kenwood 890HD, a PAC RP5 and a Sirrus XM module sitting in my house and don't know what to expect when it goes in. Any body have experience with this set up?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:28 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

No, but yes

You will still have BT after you remove the factory radio, but you will have to pair your phone with the 890, not the car.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:59 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by markcz
No, but yes

You will still have BT after you remove the factory radio, but you will have to pair your phone with the 890, not the car.
So does that mean I get to keep my factory mic or do I have to run a new mic directly to the kenwood. And also my factory bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel work normally but the difference now is that they will be controlling the Kenwood instead of the factory radio? So when all is said and done all your factory bluetooth components that came with the car are gone and everything bluetooth related now will be Kenwood?

Last edited by red2012; 09-20-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:36 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

You need to install the Kenwood mic. Right next to the GM mic is a good spot, others have put it on the mirror or below the start button. I always use 3M outdoor double-sticky tape, but make sure you've wiped off any car care products before putting it on the trim or it won't last long.

The factory BT equipment will still be in the car, it's integrated with OnStar, but it has no way of controlling the Kenwood. Once you pair your phone with the Kenwood it will do everything the stock radio did and more.

The RP5 has steering wheel controls included in it, I don't think the defaults act exactly like the factory buttons, but you can change them to do just about anything you want to. One tip if you manually program the buttons, do it with the car running so your voltage is 'normal'.

If you don't have a backup camera, I believe the only wire you need to connect to something other than the RP5 is the orange Kenwood illumination wire to the grey/black wire on the TC/AH button.

You have all the right equipment. Install it, get everything working the way you want it to BEFORE you button up the dash, and you will be happy
Old 09-20-2014, 10:17 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Thanks Mark for the reply as it's reassuring talking to someone in the know like yourself. I am going to have it professionally installed and this shop is very corvette knowledgeable. He also told me he knows Dennis at DD mods and if he runs into something he will call Dennis to get it right. I will also print out your response and show him as I leave nothing to chance when it comes to my car. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping factory bluetooth

Quick Reply: Keeping factory bluetooth