Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nav for base radio swap -Expert Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Watchie
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Nav for base radio swap -Expert Advice Needed

With apologies in advance I am posting this in both the "General" C6 discussion forum and in the Audio forum in the hope doing so will give me a better chance to garner some expert advice.

I have a 2011 C6 with the base radio/single CD player. This is NOT a Bose system. The car, however, is also equipped with radio controls on the steering wheel and Blue Tooth, although the latter is needed for my phone, only (and I don't care about having On Star).

My question is whether or not it would be possible to easily swap this unit for a GM Nav with CD unit (which I understand only came with the Bose system). I know I have to get a dealer to unlock it once installed, but my hope is that the installation would basically be a plug and play, with all functions listed above working once the unit was in place and unlocked.

Any experienced guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:23 PM
bb996+r1
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the the price you will spend on a factory unit,
at the same cost you could go with an aftermarket dvd/nav bluetooth radio that will blow away the factory nav radio.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:57 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bb996+r1
For the the price you will spend on a factory unit,
at the same cost you could go with an aftermarket dvd/nav bluetooth radio that will blow away the factory nav radio.
By most accounts, even a used aftermarket unit that's several years old is better than the GM Nav

If you do go with the GM Nav it SHOULD be a drop in replacement. I haven't seen anyone post that it didn't work, and plenty that it has.

You'd need a new GPS antenna if it doesn't come with one, and if you currently have XM your old box probably won't work with the new radio (XM box is supposed to be 'married' to radio when first installed, and they can't be reprogrammed).

Once installed the new radio should operate fine in Accessory mode before the car gets started, but once you start the car it will go into security lockdown until a dealer reprograms it.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
By most accounts, even a used aftermarket unit that's several years old is better than the GM Nav

If you do go with the GM Nav it SHOULD be a drop in replacement. I haven't seen anyone post that it didn't work, and plenty that it has.

You'd need a new GPS antenna if it doesn't come with one, and if you currently have XM your old box probably won't work with the new radio (XM box is supposed to be 'married' to radio when first installed, and they can't be reprogrammed).

Once installed the new radio should operate fine in Accessory mode before the car gets started, but once you start the car it will go into security lockdown until a dealer reprograms it.

Just an FYI...at least in my case. The XM receiver was not married to the radio. I did the swap to factory NAV and it has worked with no issues. Just remarry the NAV to the Vehicle VIN and you're off and running.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:00 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

If you want to add just a backup camera, consider a new rear view mirror with camera built in it. 4.3" screen with color. Interior remains stock.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Watchie
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Controls

I have been offered a 2007 Nav to replace the base radio/cd in my 2011. As I have steering wheel controls and the blue tooth will either/both be functional with the 2007 nav?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:21 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

SWC should work fine.

BT is part of the OnStar system. If the '07 had OnStar, then there's a chance it MIGHT work.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

SWC should work fine.

BT is part of the OnStar system. If the '07 had OnStar, then there's a chance it MIGHT work.
So your saying if choose not to renew my OnStar subscription on my '13 GS I loose my bluetooth?
Old 12-07-2015, 12:29 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Sky High
So your saying if choose not to renew my OnStar subscription on my '13 GS I loose my bluetooth?
No. In order for BT to work in a car, that car needs to have the OnStar equipment physically installed, having the subscription activated or not doesn't matter.

Cancel away, BT will still work just fine

Get notified of new replies

To Nav for base radio swap -Expert Advice Needed

Quick Reply: Nav for base radio swap -Expert Advice Needed