Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Changing aftermarket HU in 2002

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default Changing aftermarket HU in 2002

The PO swapped out the factory Bose stereo HU for a Sony CDX-M8800 with XM. It works fine but but is a little inconvenient due to the way the front tilts out and the need to use a remote for everything.

I have a JVC KD-R840BT with XM, Bluetooth with microphone for remote cell phone support, and an iPod interface that I want to install in place of the Sony. At this point, I have no idea what the PO has done to work with or to bypass the Bose components and I hesitate to tear into it without at least a good guess.

I'm hoping this will be closer to plug and play than all the cutting and splicing that I anticipate. Does anyone have any idea what I might be getting into?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

The current radio and your new one should have the exact same wires, so most likely all you'll have to do is swap it in using the same colors.

Biggest issue I would worry about is if the wires were too short to easily work on.

Quick Reply: Changing aftermarket HU in 2002