Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Apple Car Play - Anyone using it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Apple Car Play - Anyone using it yet?

Anyone out their with a Pioneer or Alpine head unit that have started to run the new Apple Car Play? Or perhaps your "other" car has it installed already.

I have the Pioneer NEX 8000 and just did the firmware update to be able to use the Apple interface. But I don't drive the Corvette during the week, so I only played with the system for a few minutes. I plan to get the car out this weekend and give it a test drive.

What are your thoughts and any tips for new users you can share?

Thanks

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
Old 10-12-2014, 04:37 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm running it on an NEX8000 with iPhone 6. Overall, I really like it, particularly for the phone and messages functionality. The Siri integration is cool as well. All you have to do is say "Hey Siri" and Siri will wake up and ask how she can help. You can then ask her to guide you to the nearest gas station, or whatever.

What I don't like is the Maps application. It is very weak as compared to the built in GPS functionality of the NEX8000 itself.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:40 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by bobeast
I'm running it on an NEX8000 with iPhone 6. Overall, I really like it, particularly for the phone and messages functionality. The Siri integration is cool as well. All you have to do is say "Hey Siri" and Siri will wake up and ask how she can help. You can then ask her to guide you to the nearest gas station, or whatever.

What I don't like is the Maps application. It is very weak as compared to the built in GPS functionality of the NEX8000 itself.
Please do yourself a favor and download the free Waze app. It's navigation with real-time traffic, accident, construction, pothole, road debris, and most importantly, speed trap locations. It's by far the most useful app I've ever used.

I can't imagine commuting without it. I plan to install the NEX-8000 soon just so I gan get Waze alerts through the stereo.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:47 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
Please do yourself a favor and download the free Waze app. It's navigation with real-time traffic, accident, construction, pothole, road debris, and most importantly, speed trap locations. It's by far the most useful app I've ever used.

I can't imagine commuting without it. I plan to install the NEX-8000 soon just so I gan get Waze alerts through the stereo.
As I understand it, Waze is not yet available on CarPlay. Definitely hoping to see it though.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 AM
deimosreign
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zipity
Anyone out their with a Pioneer or Alpine head unit that have started to run the new Apple Car Play? Or perhaps your "other" car has it installed already.

I have the Pioneer NEX 8000 and just did the firmware update to be able to use the Apple interface. But I don't drive the Corvette during the week, so I only played with the system for a few minutes. I plan to get the car out this weekend and give it a test drive.

What are your thoughts and any tips for new users you can share?

Thanks

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Hi there,

I just discovered this post as I was about to buy the pioneer system with CarPlay and I thought I'd ask you first. I'm assuming you had some time to play with it so I wanted to check in and see how the system was faring.

Cheers!

Get notified of new replies

To Apple Car Play - Anyone using it yet?

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play - Anyone using it yet?