Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Couple of Questions about 1988 Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 PM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Couple of Questions about 1988 Install

Ok, I have decided to pull the system and start over. This means new head unit and front speakers. The previous owner had installed 6x9s in the rear and used the stock system (which played a terrible high pitched noise at all times and only played music from one speaker). The install if going fine when I have time, but I have a couple questions.

1. With my order I got a Metra 70-1677-1 - everything looks fine, but I have a separate connector with a yellow and an orange wires. One of them matches up with the aftermarket player and the other one is labeled dimmer and does not have anything to hook to.

2. My order came with a Metra 40-GM10 Antenna Adapter - I have tried to install but the prong from the car feels like it is going to break off. Is this the correct part?

3. I am trying to run new wires to the rear speakers to bypass the factory stuff. I think they can be run down the center but have hit a snag behind the console. Any advice?

Thanks everyone
Old 10-16-2014, 04:00 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SDS Photography
Ok, I have decided to pull the system and start over. This means new head unit and front speakers. The previous owner had installed 6x9s in the rear and used the stock system (which played a terrible high pitched noise at all times and only played music from one speaker). The install if going fine when I have time, but I have a couple questions.

1. With my order I got a Metra 70-1677-1 - everything looks fine, but I have a separate connector with a yellow and an orange wires. One of them matches up with the aftermarket player and the other one is labeled dimmer and does not have anything to hook to.

2. My order came with a Metra 40-GM10 Antenna Adapter - I have tried to install but the prong from the car feels like it is going to break off. Is this the correct part?

3. I am trying to run new wires to the rear speakers to bypass the factory stuff. I think they can be run down the center but have hit a snag behind the console. Any advice?

Thanks everyone
1) aftermarket player might not have a dimmer input. some radios will adjust as you adjust the dash light brightness.. many aftermarket decks are just on all the time without this feature

2)I don't think you need it. the antenna connector in the car should plug into the radio without issue. the CDM in the 90-newer has a smaller antenna plug that the adapter you have would plug into..

3)what type of snag? at the back of consoel, i would then run one wire to the passenger side and one to the driver side along that 'partition' then to the respective speakers
Old 10-17-2014, 10:23 AM
SDS Photography
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
1) aftermarket player might not have a dimmer input. some radios will adjust as you adjust the dash light brightness.. many aftermarket decks are just on all the time without this feature

2)I don't think you need it. the antenna connector in the car should plug into the radio without issue. the CDM in the 90-newer has a smaller antenna plug that the adapter you have would plug into..

3)what type of snag? at the back of consoel, i would then run one wire to the passenger side and one to the driver side along that 'partition' then to the respective speakers
1. Ok

2. I am not sure that it will reach

3. I cannot find a clean place to get it under the carpet to run over/through the partition.

Thanks for your responses.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SDS Photography
1. Ok

2. I am not sure that it will reach

3. I cannot find a clean place to get it under the carpet to run over/through the partition.

Thanks for your responses.
Just to confirm.. this is a 1988 not 98 correct?

2) antenna cable should reach on the 88 without issue (you have a picture of it?)

3) again in the 88 run it to the sides and follow it over on the 'wheel well' humps

Get notified of new replies

To Couple of Questions about 1988 Install

Quick Reply: Couple of Questions about 1988 Install