Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 2011 Non-Bose questions about upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:03 AM
tinman12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 2011 Non-Bose questions about upgrade

Ok,, I have been searching the forums for a few weeks trying to get a better understanding of the non- bose stereo system in a 2011 Grand Sport.
Tons of this and that but most very conflicting. I want to upgrade the system with speakers and amps. I do not want to replace the head unit. I don't like the busy look of the new displays nor lose steering wheel controls.

So the questions are:
Does the factory head unit have RCA plugs to install an AMP? If not, what adapter is needed for this?

Can you really fit a 6x9 in the door without cutting up the door? Just I am old school but I think a pioneer 6x9 would be hard to beat.

What are the actual size of the existing speakers in the door and rear?

How big can I go? from the pics of the door holes, this looks like it could accept a much bigger speaker if clearance does not become a problem.

I have a four channel Alpine amp already and think some 6x9 and a 8 inch quality sub would rock the car.

Thanks
James
Old 10-21-2014, 02:04 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No RCA's on the factory head unit, but there are low level outputs. The HU connects to amps driving the speakers, so you can take the HU output and attach RCA's - there are a couple of adapters out there to do that. (I think some people have just spliced RCA's on the cables, but not 100% sure on that one)

Can't help you on the 6x9 - hadn't thought to try that one.

Stock sizes - the front door has a 3.5" speaker above the armrest (you can fit some 4" speakers using a 3/4" thick mounting plate), and a 10"-ish speaker down below. The speaker is a non-standard size - there are some mounting plates made by vendors to mount a 6" or 8" speaker. The main issue is mounting depth - there isn't much. So you can go with a large diameter speaker, but many 8" speakers will be too deep. Rear speakers are for a 6.5".

I have some old school (German made) MB Quart 8" in the door, with a 3/4" baffle to mount them, and it was really close.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:50 PM
tinman12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Sir! Trying to get my plan together and dump the speakers for something that has better clarity, volume and a little bass. I like the factory HU, just simple looking and fits the car.
My go to speakers are always the 6x9, they seem to handle power and have a really good full range of sound.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing you might want to do - C6's use a not so common fastener for the door panels. It's a typical tree lock fastener, but it has a male and female piece - one for the door panel, and one for the door itself. When you remove the door panel to get to the speaker, odds are 5:1 you'll break or mangle the one or both of the pieces.

If you have to go down to the Chevy dealer to get them, they'll be $1.50 - $2.95 for each piece (male or female). If you order them online before you start your project, they'll be $0.50 each in bags of 6 or so.

Some people just automatically replace them, since they never hold as well after the first use. YMMV.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 2011 Non-Bose questions about upgrade

Quick Reply: C6 2011 Non-Bose questions about upgrade