Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ROEM-VET1 red wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default ROEM-VET1 red wire

So I got the ROEM-VET1 for installing a car stereo in the C5 but it has a dangling red wire. So umm what did they expect me to do to wire this up? Do they want me to cut the ignition wire and splice this in? The best explanation was to attach the red (hot wire) to the #7 fuse in the panel box. Wouldn't the stock GM wire harness come with such a wire? I haven't taken apart my car stereo yet to find this out.

What did you guys do for this wire and anything else I should know before soldering some wires together?
Old 11-08-2014, 09:32 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

C5 doesn't have a 'switched' power source in the harness (on only when car is running), so you need to run a wire to the footwell for a switched source to make the new radio turn on/off properly.

Follow the instructions HERE
Old 11-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Thanks, I'll be using the fuse tap in #11 or #22 for that. I didn't know there was a fuse box under the passenger seat. Gotta say this ROEM-VET1 is freaking stupid. All the speaker wires have a 3rd dead wire that does nothing. So I pulled them out by using a really small jewelers screw driver which I used to push in metal clips on the sides. The blue/white amp wire is also dead so that was also removed, but that kinda works out cause my stereo doesn't have a amp wire but a antenna wire that also serves as an amp turn on wire.

The orange dimmer wire is also dead and I need to find a place to hook it up to the radio. BTW that link markcz is awesome and I now know where to hook up the orange illumination wire. Though I don't want to cut that cream/yellow wire on the hvac harness. I'll have to visit Autozone tomorrow for a fuse tap and maybe a nicer way to tap into that yellow wire. Crimped wires suck.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:07 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The link is from DoubleDmods
Old 11-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Since my stereo has a function to see the reverse camera I decided to put one of those in the C5 as well. Why not right? But the radio wants the reverse light power. I know the camera which I ordered will tap into the rear reverse lights but what about the stereo? I could run another wire along with the RCA wire to supply the reverse light power.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:16 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

C5 doesn't have a reverse signal wire in the footwell, so you have to run a wire from the HU to the reverse lights.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Dukenukemx
Instructor

Got most of everything wired up but didn't have a chance to put in the radio. Gotta run a RCA wire for the reverse camera and a wire for the reverse lights to the radio. Only thing that caught my eye was there's a small connector that went to the stereo that isn't used by the ROEM-VET1. Is this for the 6 CD changer? I was hoping that could still be used.

Also fuse #11 did have a fuse in it that's 20A. Thought this was an unused fuse? I still used it and put a 5A fuse for the radio. I used 5A cause I'm not sure what size fuse I would need. It's a place holder.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:04 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The 'power' that will run the radio will come from the oem harness, which is already fused. The wire you're running to the fuse box is only the 'trigger' to turn the radio on, it doesn't need to be fused since it will pull a very small amount of milliamps, but I would tap into the outlet side of the 20a fuse (so it will still pop if your trigger wire has a dead short to ground). If you don't know which terminal is the outlet you can pull the fuse out and touch the trigger wire to each, the dead one is the outlet.

Stock changer can't be re-used.

Some adapters have extra plugs, you nee to check the instructions to make sure it isn't needed.

Get notified of new replies

To ROEM-VET1 red wire

Quick Reply: ROEM-VET1 red wire