Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

X-post from C4 forum regarding double din...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:04 AM
drsfmd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-post from C4 forum regarding double din...

Hi folks-

It's my first post here. I picked up a 1987 C4 last weekend, and I'm quite smitten with it.

The stereo in my car "works" in the clinical sense of turning the **** and noise comes out of the speakers, but the fidelity is simply awful. I'm planning to scrap the Delco-Bose system entirely, and start from scratch. As you are probably all aware, the head unit is a non-standard 1.5 din size. There are very few options available in 1.5 din, they are expensive relative to the features, and the features are pretty limited. I *HATE* the look of the single din units with the adapter plate-- the aesthetics are simply atrocious (my apologies to those of you who have gone that route!).

That leads me to double din. Some folks say it will fit, some say it won't. This company sells a dash kit that they suggest will allow the use of a double din unit in a C4 (http://www.carid.com/1987-chevy-corv...-25739728.html). There's another company that sells a replacement bezel (or modifies your original to double din) (http://shop.doubledmods.com/C4-Corve...kages_c607.htm). If any of you have used either of these companies, please chime in! I'm particularly interested in what the doubledmods guys do to modify an original bezel... is it simply a matter of opening up the hole in the bezel to accommodate the slightly larger double din radio?

As far as the features I'm looking for in a stereo, if there's a 1.5 din that offers all of the following, I can't find it!:
Touchscreen
AM/FM/CD
Jack for IPod
Bluetooth
GPS
Back up camera (optional, but preferred).

It seems that the GPS is the killer... there simply aren't very many single din units and no 1.5 din units that I can find that offer GPS. Not sure why that is...

So, who has successfully completed a double din installation in a c4 and is willing to post pictures?

Quick Reply: X-post from C4 forum regarding double din...