Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Corvette C6 Nav MP3 Disc, Works in one Vette and not the other?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:48 AM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Corvette C6 Nav MP3 Disc, Works in one Vette and not the other?

Hi, new owner as of May looking for some help!
I've been attempting to create an MP3 disc to use with my Corvettes Nav system. After following many of the guides posted here step by step, tweaking it slightly for almost 10 burns, I was getting frustrated that I constantly would see "no valid Disc Inserted" on screen.

My father has a 2007 Corvette that came with a nav unit from the factory. I inserted the latest burned disc into his unit just to test it and it loaded perfectly, however in my 2006 Corvette I get "no valid disc inserted".

In September, I purchased my oem nav unit and installed it myself. Its been flashed to my car and has been working flawlessly since install.

I read about a firmware update for the nav unit to add MP3 compatibility and downloaded the files from these forums. I burned the two discs using Nero. With the car on, I inserted Disc 1 and it would not accept it. I just said "insert a Map DVD etc.". When I inserted disc 2, after a few seconds the screen went black and restarted after ~5 minutes just as the install process stated it would. After this there was still no change and the unit functioned just as it had before.

Did the firmware not install correctly? Is there a step I missed? Anyone else had this issue?

I use an aux port but for short trips its nice to just have a large CD ready to go rather than hooking up my phone for a 5 minute drive. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:14 AM
GuruGuy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds to me you are putting a music disk in the DVD slot, which is ONLY for the NAV DVD. You have to burn a CD for your music. I have an 08 with factory NAV and I do this all the time with no problems. I do use CD-R's. I can get about 40 to 50 tracks on a CD depending, of course, on the length of each song.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:12 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm definitely inserting it into the CD slot. I just don't understand why my nav unit won't accept the same disc while my fathers will read it just fine.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:24 PM
GuruGuy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pwalsh117
I'm definitely inserting it into the CD slot. I just don't understand why my nav unit won't accept the same disc while my fathers will read it just fine.
Just one of the wonders of electronics! Have you tried a commercially produced CD in your unit? That would tell you if the issue is the unit reading disks or the MP3 disk.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:13 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I think there was a software change between the '06 and '07 model years... if so, that may be the problem... HTH...
Old 12-18-2014, 03:30 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I have a 2006 that came with the OEM Nav unit, and I have no issues playing Mp3's on a CD-R burned as a Data CD on Nero Express (bottom left hand corner of Nero).

I also updated the Nav DVD to 2013 version 9, and no issues either
Old 12-25-2014, 03:37 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a similar issue on my 2005. My Navigation would not work, no valid disc, and the MP3 discs that I burned did not work either. I downloaded the two update discs here and put the first one in and nothing. I put the second one in and it did something, I guess what yours did, and I ended up taking them out and turning the car off and back on, all of a sudden my Navigation started working, I was sooo happy.

So I tried the MP3 and still no luck. Do you play the MP3 CD in the DVD player or CD player?

I am like the OP, is there a way to check the software version on screen to see if it is where it needs to be?

My CD player also sounds ****** and skips a lot, may be 2005 technology or maybe it is dirty, I tried a cleaning CD and no help. I have not tried a purchased CD since I do not have any.

I am considering getting a new head unit with DVD player and GPS and all the other cool stuff but I have not decided yet. Would be cool if there was one you could load custom wallpaper on so we could have the Corvette symbol on it like the factory unit or whatever else we may want.

Any help or advice appreciated...

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C6 Nav MP3 Disc, Works in one Vette and not the other?

Quick Reply: Corvette C6 Nav MP3 Disc, Works in one Vette and not the other?