Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

After market GPS/Stereo head unit Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine

Old 11-30-2014, 01:44 AM
ULOSECLOWN
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default After market GPS/Stereo head unit Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine

Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine??? Who has the best all around unit for my
2009 C6 coupe non bose system?
I have read alot of complaints against Kenwwod.
Need GPS/CD/DVD/ back up camera,aux blutooth...
Old 11-30-2014, 11:19 AM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

The only one I can comment on is Kenwood. Installed a DNX690HD and it didn't work right from day 1. Had to pull it and take it to their authorized repair shop twice (out of service 9 wk) and finally had to have them replace it. All of this was in the first year. I realize that you can have a problem with something but, its how your customer service deals with you and the problems that you are having says a lot about you company. Kenwood was very difficult and at times down right rude before they finally replaced it. They are the worst company I have ever worked with in trying to resolve an issue. In all fairness I will say that the replacement (DNX691HD) is working as advertised.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:49 PM
secondchance
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

From what I understand, Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX is Apple CarPlay compatible - best compatibility with iPhone 5 or 6.
I have been running Pioneer AVIC140bh and have no complaint. Been considering upgrading to 8000NEX.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:55 PM
PaCharger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am installing the pioneer 4000nex now that it has CarPlay. Simple, feature rich and honestly, as long as you have an iPhone it is the simplest choice. CarPlay is coming out with more and more apps every week....as well as being adopted by more auto makers and double din producers.

Android has a similar app and should help push both makers faster
Old 11-30-2014, 11:35 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

+1 for the Pioneer 8000NEX. CarPlay is awesome and the 800NEX' GPS is pretty good. (Much better than factory nav).

One word of caution about the 4000NEX. It does not have its own GPS meaning your only option would be Apple Maps running under CarPlay. As good as CarPlay is, you probably wouldn't want Apple Maps to be your only nav engine.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:15 AM
PaCharger
Advanced

Originally Posted by bobeast
+1 for the Pioneer 8000NEX. CarPlay is awesome and the 800NEX' GPS is pretty good. (Much better than factory nav).

One word of caution about the 4000NEX. It does not have its own GPS meaning your only option would be Apple Maps running under CarPlay. As good as CarPlay is, you probably wouldn't want Apple Maps to be your only nav engine.
Good point - and part of what i considered as well.
The cool part about this platform is the 3rd party market is finally waking up to creating apps. The fact that they are actually getting installed in cars other than Ferrari's - and now Android is making a competitive solution - things should get moving nicely!

I suspect other nav options will occur as well. The one plus of having a real time nav solution is that traffic, updates, etc....all real time update as they occur....vs. downloading updates, etc...

Do you have any vids/pics of your 8000 in action?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:21 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PaCharger
Good point - and part of what i considered as well.
The cool part about this platform is the 3rd party market is finally waking up to creating apps. The fact that they are actually getting installed in cars other than Ferrari's - and now Android is making a competitive solution - things should get moving nicely!

I suspect other nav options will occur as well. The one plus of having a real time nav solution is that traffic, updates, etc....all real time update as they occur....vs. downloading updates, etc...

Do you have any vids/pics of your 8000 in action?
Sorry. No pics that would be any better than the literature thats already out there.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:50 AM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for Kenwood. Dnx890hd install with focal speakers and sub, kenwood 900 amp. System rocks.. Third kenwood and am happy
Old 12-10-2014, 12:56 AM
3rdchildhood
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Installed Kenwood DNX771HD and I love it.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:11 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have them all available

the 991 is my choice

I have them with year end deals(2 left)
Then will be ordering more for end of month ship.
Now is time to get the deal as I know what the replacement is and the deals on the 991 is a great time to buy!

I have deals on the 8000 as well to move them out as well
Old 03-09-2015, 03:30 PM
GrandSport2012
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
I have them all available

the 991 is my choice

I have them with year end deals(2 left)
Then will be ordering more for end of month ship.
Now is time to get the deal as I know what the replacement is and the deals on the 991 is a great time to buy!

I have deals on the 8000 as well to move them out as well
i am looking at Pioneer AVIC-8000 and Kenwood DNN992. I believe you have them both. Which one do you prefer, which one do you sell most of, which one do customers tell you they like best, and which one do your customers complain about most. THANKS.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:56 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

I have an older Pioneer, and I'm mostly happy with it. The new units look nice from them.

Get notified of new replies

To After market GPS/Stereo head unit Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After market GPS/Stereo head unit Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine