Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

potential subwoofer replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:47 PM
shredhead1080
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default potential subwoofer replacement

For my C5 so far I replaced the head unit with a single DIN Alpine unit using the Metra install kit and the Axxess harness (all from Crutchfield). The install went well and I now have Bluetooth and an iPod interface. The sound is decent but I know there is room for improvement.

I have since purchased but did not yet install a pair of JL Audio 3.5 inch door speakers. I've recently had a couple of thoughts.

Is this worth doing? I'd still have the factory subs. Would that still sound ok or should I do further upgrades.

I considered getting separates and not installing the 3.5's I bought. In doing that I realize I lose the door subs. I have an old Bazooka 8 inch tube I have not used in years. By adding an amp I can use this. The tube would fit in the back well and I could make an MDF board to mount the amp to. Run some power, and it should be ok. So the question is, do I need to run any wiring to the doors if I use separates? Or could I somehow use what's behind the head unit?

My C5 is a convertible driven mostly in the warm months with the top down, thus I have not messed with the rear speakers. You can't hear anything coming from them anyway.

Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:00 PM
c5z06.O
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Default vettenuts

I just purchased 2 enclosures from Marc. I installed my own 10" subs. Compared to the 3 12" subs and heavy box i have . It pleases my needs for bass, and sounds good. Clear bass and i dont regret doing so. Send vettenuts a pm. They will help you with your needs. Im a bass loving person. I took a chance and like I said. I dont regret it at all. In other words. Get rid of that bazooka.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:11 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I briefly had a Bazooka in my C5, it can add some extra bass to an otherwise stock setup, but it just isn't enough if you go with an aftermarket amp and components in the doors.

Best bang for the buck would be 6.5" components in the doors with a sub in the center trunk well, all powered by a bridged 4-channel amp.

You can get a drop-in sub for as low as $120, budget amps would start around $100, and for components I'd stay away from anything under $125. For $500 you could have it sounding pretty good
The following users liked this post:
shredhead1080 (10-07-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To potential subwoofer replacement

Quick Reply: potential subwoofer replacement