Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pac rp5-gm11

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:36 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Default Pac rp5-gm11

Has anyone used this interface instead of the separate steering wheel control and chime/On Star interfaces. I have a 2011 convertible with the base non-Bose radio, On Star and factory bluetooth. I am replacing the whole system and want to retain On Star and the steering wheel controls.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...ProductId=1170

Thanks

Gary
Old 01-01-2015, 09:42 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, but:

Originally Posted by bjmsam
I used the PAC Radio Pro 5 Radio Replacement Interface (RP5-GM11) for compatibility with OnStar and the Bose amp. Cut the ISO plug off of the new head unit (HU) harness and connect the wires to those of the same color from the PAC harness (I used solder and shrink tubing). There is no dedicated amplifier trigger wire, so connect the HU red ACC wire to the PAC red ACC wire and the PAC blue/white AMP wire. Use double-sided tape to adhere the GPS antenna to the top of a center vent (or use an adapter to connect the stock GPS antenna, which looks the same and is just to the left of that location). Use a screwdriver to turn down the chime speaker module volume and make sure that module ends up in an accessible location for later adjustment.

The PAC has two types of steering wheel control (SWC) connections; a mini phono jack and a single blue/yellow wire. It also has a 10-position switch that determines SWC signal compatibility with mainstream HUs. This HU has two wires labeled KEY1 and KEY2 and according to the documentation works with only resistive signals like the Corvette's (see Volume 1 of the shop service manual for schematic). I tried the single wire, and I cut off the phono jack and tried the red and white wires, and I tried all ten switch settings, but nothing worked and I couldn't make sense of the PAC SWC signals with my multimeter. I solved it by cutting the yellow and green/white wires from the PAC that correspond to the purple (6) and dark blue (7) wires from the car and connecting them to the KEY1 and GND leads from the HU. The HU immediately recognized the buttons and made it easy to map them to the desired functions (my 1-6 button now controls mute).

Originally Posted by bjmsam
1. No, the PAC SWC setting becomes irrelevant. I left mine set to 0 which PAC should have implemented as an unmolested pass-through to eliminate the need for this step.

2. Yes, the chime sound is emitted by the RP5-GM11 module instead of through the speakers. The tone is pretty bad when at the default volume, so consider turning it down and mounting it in a location convenient for subsequent adjustment.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

We use and sell this harness with our packages

Its all complete color to color for matching wires with the exception of 1 wire
You must connect the orange white illumination wire on the radio to the gray with black stripe on your traction control harness

EVERY other wire is there on the RPGM11---including the blue white amp trigger wire.

There is NO cutting of anything or connecting of any wire into the car required.

The SW controls are the easiest to use. Simple connect the Blue with yelow stripe to blue with Yellow stripe on radio(Kenwood) or use the 3.5 to plug into the radio.
The SW control module is also pre programmed as well and you just turn the dial to the radio you have(example Kenwood set the dial to 3)

For the chimes...I simple take a piece of black tape and put over the speaker on the chime module and it takes away some of the annoying sound.

You now also have the rear cam connectivity with this harness as well which eliminates the need for connecting the trigger wire to the reverse lights

Instock and ready to ship as well.

Dennis
Old 01-03-2015, 01:29 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods

You must connect the orange white illumination wire on the radio to the gray with black stripe on your traction control harness

EVERY other wire is there on the RPGM11---including the blue white amp trigger wire.

There is NO cutting of anything or connecting of any wire into the car required.

The SW controls are the easiest to use. Simple connect the Blue with yelow stripe to blue with Yellow stripe on radio(Kenwood) or use the 3.5 to plug into the radio.
The SW control module is also pre programmed as well and you just turn the dial to the radio you have(example Kenwood set the dial to 3)

For the chimes...I simple take a piece of black tape and put over the speaker on the chime module and it takes away some of the annoying sound.

You now also have the rear cam connectivity with this harness as well which eliminates the need for connecting the trigger wire to the reverse lights

Dennis
Thank you. Having all of the modules in one box helps with mounting the interface.

One other question, just to make sure, this will work on a car with On Star?

Thanks again.

Gary
Old 01-03-2015, 11:50 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
One other question, just to make sure, this will work on a car with On Star?
Yes. Instructions are HERE
Old 01-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Ricbear
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Question,
I am using this adapter with a pioneer x930.
Do I connect the blue and the blue/white wire of the rp5 harness to the blue/white wire on the pioneer harness.

Will this address the antenna power problem that some are having also.

Last edited by Ricbear; 01-10-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:14 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If you kept the stock amp & speakers, and they power up properly, then the antenna is properly powered.

Blue/white to blue/white should be it.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Ricbear
Racer

HiMark
I have after market amps and speakers. I will not be using the bose amp.
Have onstar.
I had read some post from Dennis and you mentioning the blue wire on the PAc having to be connected even when the directions said not used. I was wondering what it supposed to hooked to.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:41 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Use HU blue/white as trigger for your new amps.

Connect either HU blue (antenna trigger) -OR- HU blue/white to Pac blue/white, that will make sure your stock antenna module is powered up when you're listening to AM/FM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Ricbear
Racer

Thanks Mark
The amps and antenna are working like they should. Aftermarket amps and speakers from Dennis.
Note: I did pull the bose amp.
I am only having a problem right now with OnStar. When I try to use OnStar it is turning off the HU, and no sound. If I press the OnStar again to disconnect it the HU comes back on. I thought I wired it like it shows on the RP5-GM11.

I did do the bypass Dennis shown on another thread of moving the mute pin location, connecting the yellow mute wire and parking brake wire to ground. Would this have anything with the OnStar shutting the system off?

Originally Posted by markcz
Use HU blue/white as trigger for your new amps.

Connect either HU blue (antenna trigger) -OR- HU blue/white to Pac blue/white, that will make sure your stock antenna module is powered up when you're listening to AM/FM.

Last edited by Ricbear; 01-12-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:50 PM
mggray87
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods

Dennis

this confuses me. My 08 z06 bose with oem nav. Dims when lights go on already so I'd thino hooking up the orange and white in Kenwood to orange n white in rp5-gm5 would then create the dim? I' going to try it Sunday on install. Unless the oem is tapped in TC also.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:42 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by mggray87
this confuses me. My 08 z06 bose with oem nav. Dims when lights go on already so I'd thino hooking up the orange and white in Kenwood to orange n white in rp5-gm5 would then create the dim? I' going to try it Sunday on install. Unless the oem is tapped in TC also.
I hate to tell you this, but this thread is 3 years old.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:05 AM
mggray87
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
I hate to tell you this, but this thread is 3 years old.

I know. I was aware. But was trying to get help from exact harness. Figured I'd try

Get notified of new replies

To Pac rp5-gm11

Quick Reply: Pac rp5-gm11