Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GoPro microphone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 PM
netguy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GoPro microphone?

Can anyone recommend a decent external mic for a GoPro Hero2? I'm having a hell of a time trying to record exhaust sounds on my C7 Callaway. Every mic I use ends up clipping. I think the bass in the exhaust notes kill it. I'd like to spend $150 or less if possible. Thanks!

-Sean
Old 01-07-2015, 05:58 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

It may be that the mic isn't the problem, but that it is overloading/distorting the input on the camera.

Is there any way to attenuate/reduce the sensitivity of the mic input on the cam, maybe in the software?

I can suggest the type of mic to use, but it may cost more than you want to spend.

IMO you want to use an omni-directional, condenser lavaliere microphone. This is the small kind of mic you see clipped on the lapel of a typical TV newscaster.

The omni feature means it will pick up sound from all directions so you don't need to 'point' it at the source, just get it close. With a car exhaust, within a couple feet is probably close enough.

Omni mics are less susceptible to wind noise but you should still use a foam windscreen to cover it (usually included with the mic).

The next feature of the condenser mic is that it requires phantom powering. This means the mic needs a power source/preamp for it to operate (AA or 9V usually). This preamp is where you can turn the mic down (referred to as a pad) and roll off some of the rumble/low end (high pass filter).

I'm describing a pro type of mic and as such it probably won't have the stereo-mini plug output connector that the cam needs. It will most likely have an XLR connector so you will need an adapter/cable to plug it into the cam.

Good brands are Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Shure and Sony.

You can take this info to a pro audio retailer (Guitar Center Pro for example), bring the camera and explain what you are trying to do. They may even have some rental inventory that you can try out before purchasing.

And......if you wanted you could use several mics (one for the exhaust, one for your commentary and one to pick up the screams from your passenger) running through a small battery powered mixer, then into the cam. Much more money and complexity, of course.

Good Luck
Old 01-07-2015, 08:51 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

How close to exhaust pipes is the GoPro now?

Maybe you just need to move it farther away from the rumble.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:08 PM
netguy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
It may be that the mic isn't the problem, but that it is overloading/distorting the input on the camera.

Is there any way to attenuate/reduce the sensitivity of the mic input on the cam, maybe in the software?

I can suggest the type of mic to use, but it may cost more than you want to spend.

IMO you want to use an omni-directional, condenser lavaliere microphone. This is the small kind of mic you see clipped on the lapel of a typical TV newscaster.

The omni feature means it will pick up sound from all directions so you don't need to 'point' it at the source, just get it close. With a car exhaust, within a couple feet is probably close enough.

Omni mics are less susceptible to wind noise but you should still use a foam windscreen to cover it (usually included with the mic).

The next feature of the condenser mic is that it requires phantom powering. This means the mic needs a power source/preamp for it to operate (AA or 9V usually). This preamp is where you can turn the mic down (referred to as a pad) and roll off some of the rumble/low end (high pass filter).

I'm describing a pro type of mic and as such it probably won't have the stereo-mini plug output connector that the cam needs. It will most likely have an XLR connector so you will need an adapter/cable to plug it into the cam.

Good brands are Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Shure and Sony.

You can take this info to a pro audio retailer (Guitar Center Pro for example), bring the camera and explain what you are trying to do. They may even have some rental inventory that you can try out before purchasing.

And......if you wanted you could use several mics (one for the exhaust, one for your commentary and one to pick up the screams from your passenger) running through a small battery powered mixer, then into the cam. Much more money and complexity, of course.

Good Luck
Thanks - I've tried lavaliere mic's, even powered ones, and they don't work. They are great for voice, but my exhaust notes seem to overwhelm the mic. Also, there is no way that I know of to change the volume in the software. I'll keep searching.

Get notified of new replies

To GoPro microphone?

Quick Reply: GoPro microphone?