Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kenwood DNX891HD - Volume Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:20 AM
Cody777
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenwood DNX891HD - Volume Problem

Last summer I had professionally installed a Kenwood DNX891HD into my 2011GS. All is good and I am very happy with the system with one exception; Randomly, and regardless of source the volume will decrease as if almost muted.

The screen displays the volume being decreased, and of course I can simply turn it up again to rectify. I can find no reference to this in the User Manual and wonder if anyone has had similar problems and a solution?

Cody777
Old 01-25-2015, 05:31 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

I too had this problem. HU was the flagship kenwood Excelon model at the time(2009). It seemed to be related to the PAC volume control adapter I installed for the steering wheel controls on my at the time '08 Z. this issue reproduced with volume up as well as volume down. I hated that. Tapping the volume control on the wheel stopped the madness every time.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:57 AM
Cody777
Cruising

Right...if I tap the steering wheel volume control it stops the decrease in volume. Perhaps I'll have to live with this?

I too had both adaptors installed to retain steering wheel controls as well as the OnStar and warning chimes that were factory installed. All works perfectly but for this small volume issue, and I am delighted with the DNX891HD...it's a great product.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:39 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

You may not need to live with it. Have you considered calling PAC support? Ask the what they think the problem could be?

As an aside, I bypassed the onstar choosing not to have chimes. So my scenario didnt have that extra thingamajig. Best thing I ever did. I hate door chimes.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Cody777
Cruising

Right you are...I contacted Kenwood Tech Support this morning and they were excellent. Advised that I should verify connection from the Axxess adaptor as there is a special note regarding Kenwood units. Also, an update to the software for the unit may help.

I'll try all of this once the damn snow melts in April.

Other than this issue, the Kenwood is to me a great install.

Cody777
Old 01-27-2015, 01:48 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

If you end up taking the dash apart, you can also try manually reprogramming the SWI.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Cody777
Cruising

Thanks for all the input...I have spoken once again with the installer and he had advised this too. He'll pull the unit and reprogram the adaptor as well as update the software. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Cody777
Old 01-28-2015, 03:45 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The ASWC from Metra will do this when using it for SW control retention and is why we do not recommend it
MEtra knows of the issue and trying to fix it

This is not an issue with PAC swi or the MAestro
Old 01-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Cody777
Cruising

Right...that is what was installed; ASWC-1 and apparently it can be updated by my installer as he feels that this is the problem? It's a small issue, but annoying.

There is a "note" in the ASWC manual that speaks to Kenwood and/or JVC newer units, reminding installers to verify that the "Blue/yellow" wire from the unit is connected to the Brown" wire from the vehicle's SWC...I suspect this may have been missed. My installer will both verify this, as well as update software...hopefully this will rectify the problem. The ASWC-1 adaptor that I have is made by Axxess. Not sure if this has the same known issue as the one from Metra?

Do you know if updating the Kenwood's firmware helps?

Last edited by Cody777; 01-28-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:54 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Cody777
Right...that is what was installed; ASWC-1 and apparently it can be updated by my installer as he feels that this is the problem? It's a small issue, but annoying.

There is a "note" in the ASWC manual that speaks to Kenwood and/or JVC newer units, reminding installers to verify that the "Blue/yellow" wire from the unit is connected to the Brown" wire from the vehicle's SWC...I suspect this may have been missed. My installer will both verify this, as well as update software...hopefully this will rectify the problem. The ASWC-1 adaptor that I have is made by Axxess. Not sure if this has the same known issue as the one from Metra?

Do you know if updating the Kenwood's firmware helps?
This is NOT a Kenwood Issue
You need to get rid of the ASWC
There is an escalating volume issue with the ASWC on any brand of radio you were to put in.

You need to use the RP5GM11 harness(which has SW built in) in the car or
use the MAestro Sw with the gmos04

The issue your talking about was about 3- to maybe 4 years ago with the Kenwood and resistor...that has since been long changed.

The problem is the ASWC and it does this random volume change on its own with the C6
Your installer will probably argue with you but I am telling you to get rid of the ASWC and your problem goes away.

Dennis
Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Cody777
Cruising

Thanks Dennis...I am grateful for your knowledge. I do have the GMOS 04 installed and will pass your expertise on to my installer.

If I understand you correctly, (and please forgive my questions), the RP5GM11 harness is in the car from the factory unit? And, I can use that or the Maestro with the GMOS 04?

Keith
Old 01-28-2015, 10:40 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Cody777
Thanks Dennis...I am grateful for your knowledge. I do have the GMOS 04 installed and will pass your expertise on to my installer.

If I understand you correctly, (and please forgive my questions), the RP5GM11 harness is in the car from the factory unit? And, I can use that or the Maestro with the GMOS 04?

Keith
The RP5GM11 is a harness like the GMOS04 and ASWC combo
Its just all built in together and programmed for the SW retention. The just need to set the dial on the side to 3
The MAestro SW is only SW control module I use when using the GMOS04 in our installs and packages.

You can use the SWI-RC SW control Module with Pac as well however you would need to cut into the main car harness to connect
With the Maestro SW you can wire this into the gmos04 and not have to cut into the car wiring.
The rp5gm11 as well no cutting / splicing involved

Just make sure to also tell them that the orange white illumination wire from the Kenwood needs to be connected to the gray with black stripe on your traction control with any harness used.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Cody777
Cruising

Outstanding...I will certainly pass this on. Once again, thanks so much for your help.

Perhaps I am too finicky, however when I went ahead with this install, it was important to me to retain all of the factory chimes and warnings as well as the steering wheel controls.

All of this was maintained and I am very satisfied with the exception of the volume issue. I am sure that your information will be of great assistance.

Keith
Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Cody777
Cruising

As a quick follow-up...I brought the car back to my local installer and he followed all of Dennis' advice. Everything works perfectly now and all of the steering wheel control functions work as they should. No more volume issues either!

Thanks to Double D for their excellent support.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood DNX891HD - Volume Problem

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX891HD - Volume Problem