Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

For Sale: Pioneer Premier DEH-P960MP (Needs new flex ribbon)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:21 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Default For Sale: Pioneer Premier DEH-P960MP (Needs new flex ribbon)

Digging through the boxes in my garage, I came across this Pioneer DEH-P960MP Single Din head unit I pulled out of my previous Vette due to faulting issues with the faceplate.

After a few quick searches, the fault seems to point to the flex ribbon. Although I am not 100% certain it is the flex ribbon, all related issues experienced point directly the flex ribbon. A relatively "easy" fix for the "Do-It-Yourself'ers" And the #1 issue with this head unit was only the flex ribbon.

A new ribbon can be found for about $25.00 or less.

This deck was just over $400 new when purchased. It sat in the box brand new for almost 3 years, never used. Then installed approximately in 2008, getting about 5 years of normal use. There is only two listed Ebay for $200 and another for $450.

It is still in great condition and would make a very nice deck for someone looking for an exceptional upgrade on the cheaper side.

$100 - includes bracketry, Corvette C5 mounting sleeve, remote control, original contents, box, manuals and shipping).

Instructions how to replace ribbon:
They all come apart easily. There may or may not be a #2 phillips screw on the top cover of the deck. Remove the screw and remove the top cover. Then there will be 4 #1 phillips screws that secure the CD mechanism to the radio. It is very important that you use a very good #1 phillips screwdriver. You must also put some decent downward pressure on the screws to get them started. Failure to do so will result in a stripped out head of a screw. Some of the screws are down at the bottom of the transport. Not too easy to drill out or get pliers on to get them out. You may want to try a few screwdrivers to make sure you have one that tightly grips the head of the screw.

There is going to be one or 2 connections between the mechanism and the main board. One flat ribbon cable and possibly a connecter with 2 or 3 small wires on it. Lift the mechanism slowly so you do not tear the ribbon cable, or the other wires. Simply slide the ribbon cable out of the connector on the mainboard and unplug the other plug if it is present. Set the mechanism aside.

With the radio facing you, on the right side, there is a large plastic gear, I do not remember the direction, but you turn that gear and the front face rolls to the open position. Once you get the face open, detach it and notice the path of the ribbon cable and which slot on the front bezel it enters. This ribbon cable detaches differently than the other one did. This one has a lock on it. Slide the outer case of the ribbon cable receptacle it toward the rear of the deck. It only moves about 1/8 of an inch. Now remove the cable from the plug. There are 2 small holes that you can insert a pick tool into, This is more important when trying to reinsert the cable into the plug.

Now you need to remove the small board that the ribbon cable is attached to. This requires a #0 or #00 phillips screwdriver. These screws are not hard to get out of the holes, however they are very hard to find if you drop one. I recomend performing this part of the job inside a large platter or baking pan.

Remove the board and ribbon cable, grab the new assembly, and slide the ribbon through the retainer on the bottom of the rear face and back through the slot in which it came through. Sometimes it helps to close the front display a little. Don't forget to put the little rubber pad that comes with the cable onto the bottom of the little board where the ribbon cable meets up with that board. Reverse the above to get it back together. Let me know if you do not understand any part of the instructions. Or if you have any questions.

The Pioneer DEH-P9600MP CD receiver's front panel motors down and out to the perfect angle for operating the controls. Behind it lurks a big, beautiful, multicolor Organic EL display, waiting to grab your attention with its amazing high-resolution animations. The 3-D setup screens provide the extra detail you need for precise adjustments. Plus, you can customize it with your own images!

System info and MP3/WMA text is easy to read on the large display, and the simple control panel gives the motorized face an uncluttered look. If you prefer having the face in the upright position, a secondary display is on-hand to enable you to see the receiver info.

The DEH-P9600MP delivers incredibly rich and detailed sound, thanks to the combination of an audiophile-grade Burr-Brown 24-bit digital-to-analog converter and a powerful MOSFET50 internal amp (22 watts RMS x 4). Pioneer's BMX digital processing restores the sharpness and depth that's often lost when music is converted to MP3 or WMA files.

If sonic perfection is your goal, Auto EQ uses an included microphone and a 13-band equalizer to measure your car's acoustics and adjust the receiver's sonic output accordingly. When you're in a hurry, make fast overall tone changes with Easy EQ's five preset tone curves; you can rely on Automatic Sound Levelizer to adjust the volume to compensate for changes in road noise.

Pioneer's Supertuner IIID has a well-deserved reputation as one of the best tuners on the road. System expansion options are endless, thanks to three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs, CD changer controls, satellite radio controls (compatible XM or SIRIUS tuner, antenna, and subscription also required), and an optional auxiliary input.

Product Highlights:
•CD receiver with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels) with 6.5 Hi-volt pre-outs
•detachable, motorized, fold-down face with customizable, multicolor Organic EL display
•plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3/WMA discs
•Easy EQ (5 preset and 2 user EQ curves)
•BMX digital processing (for improved sound from MP3 and WMA files)
•Auto EQ (uses an included microphone and 13-band equalizer to fit the sound to your vehicle's acoustics)
•BBE sound processing
•24-bit Burr-Brown D/A converter for rich sound
•Automatic Sound Levelizer adjusts receiver's volume automatically to compensate for changes in road noise levels
•time alignment
•built-in high-pass and low-pass filters
•XM and SIRIUS Satellite Radio-ready (you can add satellite radio for under $100, plus subscription)
•compatible with Pioneer's iPod™ interface adapter
•CD changer controls
•optional auxiliary input
•4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
•CD Text
•disc naming
•Supertuner IIID
•18 FM/6 AM presets
•clock
•wireless remote
•CD frequency response: 5-20,000 Hz
•CD signal-to-noise ratio: 99 dB
•FM sensitivity: 8 dBf

Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 PM
Ricardo Vazquez
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still for sale??

Im looking for this HU, do you have it yet?

Can you ship to College Station, TX?
Old 07-09-2015, 02:13 AM
longlam
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ricardo Vazquez

Hey Ricardo. Not sure if you are still looking but I have one of these as well in great condition. Please message me if you are looking to buy.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:49 AM
Energy CC
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by longlam
Hey Ricardo. Not sure if you are still looking but I have one of these as well in great condition. Please message me if you are looking to buy.
If anybody still has one of these for sale, please PM me. Looking for one as well.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:52 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Energy CC
If anybody still has one of these for sale, please PM me. Looking for one as well.
Yes, I still have this for sale. My apologies as I been offline for a few months. I do have another forum member inquiring at the moment. Pending his decision.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:54 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ricardo Vazquez

Still up for grabs but another forum member is inquiring. Pending his decision.

Sorry for a untimely response. Been offline for a few months.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:56 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

TTT.

Would prefer a complete sale. Thank you for your inquiries.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Energy CC
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Well since your PM box is full, I'll reply here. I went ahead and messaged you so we can get this done. Thanks
Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 AM
Jimherb
1st Gear

I know rhis is from last year but Worth a shot because I've been looking for this stereo for quite some time.... is it still available ?
Old 09-29-2016, 06:01 PM
z00m1
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pioneer P960MP

Hey Guys,

I don't Know if some of you are still looking for this radio but I have one that is good condition with the original box, manuals, harness, remote and mic. This one is good to go and does not need a new flex ribbon. Let me know if anyone is interested in it.

Last edited by z00m1; 10-03-2016 at 12:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Matti38 (07-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To For Sale: Pioneer Premier DEH-P960MP (Needs new flex ribbon)

Quick Reply: For Sale: Pioneer Premier DEH-P960MP (Needs new flex ribbon)