Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Help me spend my money...I'm lost

Old 02-27-2015, 03:42 AM
rainman750
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help me spend my money...I'm lost

Presently deployed and planning audio upgrades to my C6 Z06 when I return. Had a LOT of help from this forum when I did my system in my C5 a few years ago, hoping for some guidance as the C6 world is still new to me. Pretty sure I'm set on a Pioneer DD head unit, but holy crap there are SOOOO many to choose from. Was looking at the AVH-X5700BHS and the NEX series as well, can't decide which one to go with....I don't really care about built in Navigation as I use my phone for that. I was hoping to find a deck with a 7" screen AND a volume **** but that seems to be out of the question. Looking to add the aftermarket head unit, a sub and amp for now, leaving the other factory speakers in place. Any suggestions for the sub, amp and box? Budget is around $1200 but I'd be willing to spend a little more if there's something I just HAVE to have or the extra dough is justified. Thanks in advance, Rain
Old 02-27-2015, 11:42 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

send me an email if you can not call
608 854 2033
dennis@doubledmods.com
I can put everything together for you in one package.
Would recommend the soon to be coming DDX9902 from Kenwood as well if you want no nnav as it will have Android Auto and Carplay
Old 03-01-2015, 04:30 AM
rainman750
Instructor

Can't call from where I am and not really interested in anything from Kenwood at all....specifically looking for info about the Pioneer units and what the differences between them are. Surprised at the lack of responses, to be honest, got tons of help last time I was unsure of which way to go with my build...are the NEX units worth that much more than 5700BHS unit I'm looking at? I can't access Pioneer's website from here...
Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 AM
RangerBacks
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why stuck on the Pioneers? They make a good product but there is better stuff out there.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:26 PM
ATLS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if you're joking but pioneer has the best head units around. Have you seen any other ultra high end stuff? so good that they actually are outlawed in some of the sound quality competitions. Not sure of any other brands that are outlawed because they are so good and unfair to the other competitors without them
Old 03-04-2015, 06:04 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLS2
I'm not sure if you're joking but pioneer has the best head units around. Have you seen any other ultra high end stuff? so good that they actually are outlawed in some of the sound quality competitions. Not sure of any other brands that are outlawed because they are so good and unfair to the other competitors without them
Pioneer does make an ultra high end single din HU that has tons of digital features and is second to none, but the standard nav units are on par with Kenwood.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:18 AM
rainman750
Instructor

I'm not really stuck on anything 100%, I just know that I don't want anything Kenwood, based on past experiences and recent problems they seem to have. That's why I'm asking for help to decide and I listed what my budget is and what I'm looking to do...Looking at the NEX 4100 and the 5700BHS units and trying to decide if teh NEX series is worth the extra money. If there's an eqivalent Alpine unit for close to teh same money, I'm open to that as well. Any recommendations on a sub and amp based on my budget?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:09 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

If you don't think you want built in Nav, then I'd definitely go with the x5700 package. You can always add the U260 unit later if you decide you want Nav.

Without the nav unit you'll be able to add a sub & box combo with a mono amp and still come in under budget.

For about $200 more you can change the mono amp to a bridgeable 4-channel and add component speakers in the doors to really have a nice setup
Old 03-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Pupuslinger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the 4100 NEX. I have read that the Pioneer units are a little snappier in speed of processing, but depending on where you read things, opinions vary. I like all of the controls in the Pioneer, seems like you can really get in there and dial things in, and a dedicated sub output, which you may be able to do on many others but for some reason I kept coming back to the 4100. I also liked the fact that it takes a SD card, which the others didnt, and it has a removable face. I am sure there are plenty of comperable HUs out there, but I liked this one when messing around with it in the store..( was actually a 4000 in the store, the 4100s are not out yet )...

And at DDMODS the price was very reasonable, cheaper than anwhere else I saw. I really wanted to buy local to suport local business, but when all was said and done I probably saved $150-$200.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 AM
rainman750
Instructor

Thanks guys, leaning heavily towards the 4100 NEX. Still deciding on what to do for the sub and amp....

Get notified of new replies

To Help me spend my money...I'm lost

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me spend my money...I'm lost