Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 Nav Head Unit Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 AM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default C5 Nav Head Unit Question

Hey guys, Ive been so wrapped up in go fast performance stuff for the last several years that I have neglected the audio performance of my car ... I am kind of out of touch about NAV systems that fit in my C5Z... I have done some research but basically what I am trying to do is find a head unit that would replace my factory one with minimal trimming to the bezel... I remember at 1 time guys were using the Eclipse AVN5435 because It allowed you to keep your A/C controls and ashtray in the stock position but I believe that unit is now gone. I need to keep it like this because My ashtray is gutted out and now holds my Line lock/trans brake.

What Options do I have where I can trim it up and squeeze a unit in there. A Flip up unit is out of the question since I do not want to block my center ducts or like the look. Im looking for a clean OEM finish, I would honestly just go with a basic CD player because I can care less about the nav but they look small and funky in the C5 console.

Thanks for any help
Old 03-02-2015, 05:07 AM
janky
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been looking into this exact solution for a couple of days now (just lurking in this forum for info) and thus far have come to the conclusion that Double D Mods is the first and last place you should be looking. I'm actually interesting in going one step further than you by replacing the entire audio system (new speakers, adding an amp and sub), but you should check out their C5 bezel modification to accommodate 7" touchscreen navigation head units. But they also do bezel modification alone if that's all you're looking to purchase.

Personally I'm almost sold on the following Kenwood 992 (has the peerless Garmin navigation built-in) upgrade package. All you have to do is send in your stock bezel and they'll modify it to get everything fitted up perfectly and you can keep the ashtray...
http://shop.doubledmods.com/Rock-in-...2-RIBKW992.htm
Old 03-04-2015, 05:40 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

You can do a single din non-nav and get a fancy mounting plate from HUmount.com that doesn't look cheap.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:38 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Breze84
Hey guys, Ive been so wrapped up in go fast performance stuff for the last several years that I have neglected the audio performance of my car ... I am kind of out of touch about NAV systems that fit in my C5Z... I have done some research but basically what I am trying to do is find a head unit that would replace my factory one with minimal trimming to the bezel... I remember at 1 time guys were using the Eclipse AVN5435 because It allowed you to keep your A/C controls and ashtray in the stock position but I believe that unit is now gone. I need to keep it like this because My ashtray is gutted out and now holds my Line lock/trans brake.

What Options do I have where I can trim it up and squeeze a unit in there. A Flip up unit is out of the question since I do not want to block my center ducts or like the look. Im looking for a clean OEM finish, I would honestly just go with a basic CD player because I can care less about the nav but they look small and funky in the C5 console.

Thanks for any help

We can modify the bezel so you retain the ash tray and have no worries with anything you have done to it now. It will all be same when you would either get it back or if getting a replacement bezel the ash tray area is stock

Couple examples
BEFORE

AFTER

Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

This one shows a pic of the ash tray lid open and we hid his bass **** in the ash tray

Old 03-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
This one shows a pic of the ash tray lid open and we hid his bass **** in the ash tray

hey Dennis, thanks for the reply. We actually spoke today about that Kenwood with the Samsung mirroring so I think you answered my question, I'll be hitting you up very shortly here

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Nav Head Unit Question

Quick Reply: C5 Nav Head Unit Question