Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Head unit won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Stuelke
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head unit won't turn off

I installed headers on my 02 coupe this weekend, after hooking the battery back up, the head unit won't shut off when the key is removed. it worked fine before the battery was disconnected. Its a pioneer AVH-x4600BT it was in the car when I bought it.

Any Ideas?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:51 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Stuelke
I installed headers on my 02 coupe this weekend, after hooking the battery back up, the head unit won't shut off when the key is removed. it worked fine before the battery was disconnected. Its a pioneer AVH-x4600BT it was in the car when I bought it.

Any Ideas?

stock speakers
if so
then i would be safe to say the prior owner used the Metra XSVI harness and this is your problem. This harness is known to not shut down the radio
Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Stuelke
Navigator

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
stock speakers
if so
then i would be safe to say the prior owner used the Metra XSVI harness and this is your problem. This harness is known to not shut down the radio
not sure if it has stock speakers, I haven't looked under the covers. it has a rockford fosgate amp and 2 12 inch kenwood subs in the back.

why would it work before the battery was disconnected? i didn't touch anything regarding the wiring harness.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:44 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

If the interface is controlling the switched power that turns the radio on/off, and that interface goes bad when the battery is reconnected....

You can fix it on your own with minimla effort. Take the dash apart, snip the red wire between the interface and the radio, then find a switched power source in the footwell area to tap and connect to the radio red wire.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Stuelke
Navigator

Originally Posted by markcz
If the interface is controlling the switched power that turns the radio on/off, and that interface goes bad when the battery is reconnected....

You can fix it on your own with minimla effort. Take the dash apart, snip the red wire between the interface and the radio, then find a switched power source in the footwell area to tap and connect to the radio red wire.
will the retained accesory power feature still work if i do what you suggest?
can I remove the interface if I do this?
Old 03-13-2015, 06:31 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuelke
will the retained accesory power feature still work if i do what you suggest?
can I remove the interface if I do this?
RAP would be gone, it would power on/off with ignition or accessory power, but wouldn't that be better than always on.

You could possibly remove the interface, but it's what generates your chimes and may also be needed for the audio signal, it depends which one you have.

You could just get a new interface. Pull the radio to see which one it is then call Dennis to get the proper replacement. If you can splice wires you can DIY.

Get notified of new replies

To Head unit won't turn off

Quick Reply: Head unit won't turn off