Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'93 aftermarket headunit question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:41 AM
kdtomczak
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '93 aftermarket headunit question

I'm wanting to replace the headunit in my '93 coupe. The model I'm looking at putting in is a Pioneer AVH3600BHS.

When I go on crutchfield to enter in my car information, the last thing it's asks me is if this car is With the Bose system or without. I think it suggests 2 different wiring harness adapters.

For general information, why is it mattering if there is a bose unit in there or not? Which harness do I need to get? Will this installation require a dash kit?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:28 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

I know very few specifics about C4's, but since you asked for general information....

If you keep any part of the original setup (like the speakers), you'll need an interface adapter to make the install wiring easier. If you replace the radio AND the speakers, then all you really need from the car is power, so you can do the install without an interface.

Bose vs non-Bose is important to know because there are different strength signals required for each (line-level compared to speaker level) in many cars. If your interface is for the wrong setup it won't sound good at all.

You will need a dash kit to mount the new radio on, then the kit mounts into the GM specific dash.

Quick Reply: '93 aftermarket headunit question