Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default C5 Options

Good morning folks,

I have a 2003 C5 that I'm seriously considering replacing the head unit. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, I rarely listen to music in the car, so I don't really care about a sound upgrade. What I really want is an Android head unit so I can have Waze, Google Maps, Torque, etc. in the car without needing to deal with setting up my phone as anything more than a mobile hotspot.

However, I really dislike the Double Din look in a C5. In my opinion, it looks unbalanced; you can obviously tell it's not supposed to be that way. I really wish the aftermarket would build a couple of 1.5 DIN units for us late 90's GM vehicles, but meh.

So I was looking at something like this device here. I would want to keep my Bose amp, so any crappiness in the amplifiers on this unit would be nullified. It has very similar specs to the highly-reviewed Rydeen DVA6. I know it's probably Chinese crap, but some on here have been rather happy with their Chinese crap.

What says CF about this? Should I pull the trigger or is there something I'm missing?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:17 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

C5 doesn't have an external amp, only a 'processor', so if you replace the radio you'll be using the internal amp from the new HU. If you know that amp is suspect, I'd find another HU.

Any flip-out screen in a C5 will block the A/C vents, just FYI.

You can get a fancy illuminated mounting adapter from HUmount.com to snazz up a single din install:

Old 03-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, the wife nixed this idea anyway. She much prefers the double-din look, and it's in my best interest to keep her happy, especially since she ends up driving the car more than me.

Looks like I'll be working with Dennis soon on a modified bezel....
Old 03-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
C5 doesn't have an external amp, only a 'processor', so if you replace the radio you'll be using the internal amp from the new HU. If you know that amp is suspect, I'd find another HU.

Any flip-out screen in a C5 will block the A/C vents, just FYI.

You can get a fancy illuminated mounting adapter from HUmount.com to snazz up a single din install:

Exactly!

I never understand why people put these flip-out units in their cars/trucks without thinking about exactly where that screen is going when it's open.......... Most of them block their vents. Sorry, I want my AC blasting my face.

I put a Double Din in my 2001 Silverado and my 2002 Vette. Love them! Did all the mods myself, too cheap to pay Dennis, but his stuff is great!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:30 PM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you ever consider moving the A/C control box to the upper half of the console? This way, you can mount a flip-up screen radio on the bottom half. The screen should now be positioned low enough not to block the center vents. Someone here on the forum did exactly this and it came out looking nice. I'm not sure though if the shift lever has be moved out of the way to turn the radio on.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Options

Quick Reply: C5 Options