Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pulling aftermarket system out of C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:26 AM
mmg
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
Both good ideas

You need to see what model your sub is, it may not fit in a stealth box. It would also be nice to know what ohm rating and how many coils, but that amp can handle either 2 or 4 ohms on the sub. If you bridge a 4-channel you'd need to make sure the sub can be wired at 4ohms.

You need them both, one per door.

Shop around first. The RZ5 is a good choice, but there are others that are smaller (that may cost more).
Thanks Mark. Didn't realize the sub I have might not fit. I think I'll take your original advice before I do anything else and unplug the sub to see how things are with just the door and rear speakers. If that works, it simplifies things for me for sure. The only challenges would be finding a replacement center bin and cover since those items are missing from my car now for the existing sub.

Is there any benefit from getting newer crossovers? I'm thinking not, aside from perhaps finding some that might be smaller, but just checking.

Mark
Old 04-04-2015, 05:00 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

If you keep the current door speakers you have then you can hide the crossovers better, no need to look for new ones.

You can pro get a used tub cover for pretty cheap on the forum
Old 04-04-2015, 09:25 PM
mmg
Advanced

OK, I pulled the sub power wire off and found that the system is fine for me without it. So I removed the sub (JL 10W3V2-D4) and amp (Directed D800), along with the capacitor, volt meter thingy and the home made sub tub in the center compartment.

I think for now I'm just going to use the components I have since the sound is adequate for my needs. I only have the one power amp now and 2 crossovers, so I was thinking perhaps I'd just mount them inside the center rear compartment and get everything out of sight. Question is, if I do this I assume it's best to mount the components on a covered or carpeted board and not directly to the wall or floor of the compartment, correct? Any issues with doing this?

BTW, my center compartment, since the tub was in there, is just a black/grey plastic area "tub" with no carpeting inside. There is also a number of fasteners that have cut-off threads along the rear wall of this compartment...I guess so the idiots who put in the sub could fit it in there. Do you know what these used to "fasten"? Some pics here.

I'm also now on the lookout for a red center compartment cover lid...

Thx
Mark
Attached Images   
Old 04-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Mike Beck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem is, if you put the crossovers back there, you need to run two sets of wires up to each set of speakers. Where are your crossovers now? They can easily be mounted under the dash out of the way, or inside the doors. Same goes for the rears. All of my crossovers are hidden and it wasn't that hard to do.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 AM
mmg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike Beck
Problem is, if you put the crossovers back there, you need to run two sets of wires up to each set of speakers. Where are your crossovers now? They can easily be mounted under the dash out of the way, or inside the doors. Same goes for the rears. All of my crossovers are hidden and it wasn't that hard to do.
Mike, my crossovers are already right behind the seats on the deck. Currently just laying there. I also just found a nice "box" or "rack" on doubledmods.com Still mulling.

Quick Reply: Pulling aftermarket system out of C5