Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Lack of Thump or distorted low end, from sub

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:14 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Lack of Thump or distorted low end, from sub

OK, Hear it goes .. ill try to explain best as possable my issue.
Here is what i have in my 2006 c6 convertable.
Head unit = pioneer AVH-X3500BHS
AMP = Helix Dark Blue 5 channel
front component = image dynamics CTX6M 6.5
TWEETS = polk [ in door panel]
rear speakers = kicker DS 5.25

Been trying to get my low end right, but when i get enough base, its sounds like its muffled, or distorted.
I matched the amp level. to speakers by ear, and set the low pass filter at the amp at about 80.and front and rear speaker settings are set to full range at amp..
On the deck, if i set loudness at 0, i have a hard time getting my sub to put out..and have to punch up base boost [at deck to max.]
But if i leave loudness at say low, then i get the base i need, and have to lower boost at the deck.--- But it will sound muffled or distorted.[sub]
I set the deck, high pass filter at 80..

I know its hard for anyone to, help on this without hearing it but any suggestions would be great...

oh,, the sub is a 12" low profile pioneer inclosed down firing..that is sitting in hatch area..
Old 04-15-2015, 08:53 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Set both the sub LP and front/rear HP at 100Hz then do a quick DIY tune on your amp with tones and see what happens:

Download test tones HERE

Set all HU gains/loudness/EQ to 0 or flat.

Turn down all amp gains to 0

Play the 50Hz tone and set radio volume at about 75%

Turn up sub gain until you hear distortion, then back off a touch. Note the level and turn it back down to 0. If it sounds 'funny' it may be out of phase, experiment by swapping polarity on HU if possible or just switch wires at amp.

Play the 1kHz tone at 75% volume and turn up front gain until distortion, then back off a touch, mark level, go back to 0. Repeat with rears.

Turn radio volume down and turn it off.

Adjust all gains back to level noted during test.

Play several songs that you're very familiar with, listen to balance between sub and fronts/rears. Since all are set at maximum distortion-free level, if not balanced turn down the ones that are overpowering the other (fronts vs. sub).

You may just want to do the after-tune balancing on fronts and sub, then just blend in some rears later making sure not to go over the noted level.

This would be the ideal level for your amp gains. Once the gains are set properly you can play with the EQ and bass on the HU to tweak it in better
Old 04-15-2015, 01:20 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Default settings

Originally Posted by markcz
Set both the sub LP and front/rear HP at 100Hz then do a quick DIY tune on your amp with tones and see what happens:

Download test tones HERE

Set all HU gains/loudness/EQ to 0 or flat.

Turn down all amp gains to 0

Play the 50Hz tone and set radio volume at about 75%

Turn up sub gain until you hear distortion, then back off a touch. Note the level and turn it back down to 0. If it sounds 'funny' it may be out of phase, experiment by swapping polarity on HU if possible or just switch wires at amp.

Play the 1kHz tone at 75% volume and turn up front gain until distortion, then back off a touch, mark level, go back to 0. Repeat with rears.

Turn radio volume down and turn it off.

Adjust all gains back to level noted during test.

Play several songs that you're very familiar with, listen to balance between sub and fronts/rears. Since all are set at maximum distortion-free level, if not balanced turn down the ones that are overpowering the other (fronts vs. sub).

You may just want to do the after-tune balancing on fronts and sub, then just blend in some rears later making sure not to go over the noted level.

This would be the ideal level for your amp gains. Once the gains are set properly you can play with the EQ and bass on the HU to tweak it in better
Thanks.. ill give it a try.-- But when you say, Set both the sub LP and front/rear HP at 100hz, do you mean at amp ?. As im running front and rear x over on full setting at amp.and that defeats front and rear HP filter adjustment,, if i remember correctly...- or were you refering to the head unit ????. .. As my H.U only has a H.P filter adj.

Last edited by carls2004; 04-15-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Default getting there..

Thanks markcz, for the info. Here is where i am and have.
Set all head unit settings to neutral or off.
Did a rough adjustment like you said. Seems hardest part is getting, the filter's at say 100hz, as its a best guess for me if thier at 80 or 120hz.
[ wish amp makers would put on or in more markings ]

When i did the tones like you said i could actually shut the amp down when i was def to much gain. This is first time adjusting a amp using this method so ill be rechecking.. Seems sub and my rear kicker DS 5.25 like alot of gain, but then i might of not heard the distortion., mostly in sub.. So ill def go back and redo the settings.
But at this point, it still lacks that low end that im aiming for..or say punch..
.Have to up the boost setting at sub or deck too +6 , to get it more in line of what i like...Maybe im low on the gain for the sub.?
Was also wondering what that base control **** that plugs into amp to adjust on the fly, raises. Does it raise the gain, or does it raise the boost level.

Possably i may be ? asking more than the sub was meant to do ??. After seeing specs on inclosure , i thought is was a little on the small size..

Last edited by carls2004; 04-15-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:46 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by carls2004
But when you say, Set both the sub LP and front/rear HP at 100hz, do you mean at amp ?
At amp or on HU, it doesn't matter, but you need to get low freq signals off of fronts/rears. Smaller speakers DO NOT like playing the sub sounds at higher volumes.

Seems hardest part is getting, the filter's at say 100hz, as its a best guess for me if thier at 80 or 120hz.
Just get them both to about the same spot in the 90-110 range, it doesn't need to be exact. You can even do an experiment and see if you can find the 'sweet spot' where the components will/won't distort at higher volumes by a slight adjustment on the HP filter. I gained a lot of volume on my doors when I changed my sub/mid-bass crossover from 80 to 100.

i might of not heard the distortion., mostly in sub..
It should be obvious, especially with the sub. It will go from a smooth rumble to a buzzing fart sound.

.Have to up the boost setting at sub or deck too +6 , to get it more in line of what i like...Maybe im low on the gain for the sub.?
What amp model, what sub model, how is sub wired? Could be an equipment compatibility issue.

Was also wondering what that base control **** that plugs into amp to adjust on the fly, raises. Does it raise the gain, or does it raise the boost level
Unplug it! Once you get it sounding good you can give the remote adjustment another try, but all it does is lower the gain.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:58 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Default thanks, and here is amp/sub info

Thanks for info..
And that model amp and sub you ask,-- The sub is a pioneer low profile 12" inclosed downfiring. # Pioneer TS-SW3001S4 and its rated 400 rms @ 4 ohm, 1500 max. - and box is PIONEER UD-SW120D, which is .50 cu, box volume. [ But i thought it would be better with say,70-90 cu volume.]
Also i bought that sub/box unit, from a auto installation, place that had been using as demo.. $100.00...Could sub be defect, but work but just wont hit hard ???

Amp is a Audiotec, Helix dark blue 5, [ older version ] - rated at 75 watt rms @ 4ohm and sub output is 350 @ 4ohm rms
I have sub out at head unit feeding into sub input at amp. and using 5 channel amp wiring from stinger if i remember correctly.. From head unit to amp..
When i ran speaker wires from amp to sub i doubled them up....
And the amps, ground and power wire is with a good 4 gage...

Friend said up the boost and dont worry, because its sealed unit ?..

Last edited by carls2004; 04-16-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:53 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Default Amp gain high for sub ?

Ive did a couple more checks with cd, test tone to dial in speaker gains, and subwoofer seems to like my gain at max. ?? Thats a surprise, as i got a good amp, and amp is rated at 350 watts rms at 13 v, 4 ohm load, and sub is 400 watt @ 4 ohm load [SVC], seem good match ???. But have to up gain alot and up the boost to get it working close to what i think it should do..
Maybe ill try a ? SVC 2 OHM SUB ? or a DVC 4 OHM, so i have a 2 ohm load...
Amp says, it can do the lower ohms.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

My sub amp is rated for 300wRMS at 4ohm and my sub is wired for 4ohms and rated for 250wRMS, and I have the amp gain maxed out, so yours being 50 less on the amp that isn't unusual.

If you wired a 400w rated sub in at 2ohms you prob wouldn't have that problem any more.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:44 AM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks, was looking at this sub.

Originally Posted by markcz
My sub amp is rated for 300wRMS at 4ohm and my sub is wired for 4ohms and rated for 250wRMS, and I have the amp gain maxed out, so yours being 50 less on the amp that isn't unusual.

If you wired a 400w rated sub in at 2ohms you prob wouldn't have that problem any more.
Thanks markcz. - I was thinking of trying a diff sub, but with that pioneer box and its small air space , options are a little harder.
But i was thinking of this sub because of review's, spec's, and can run in sealed with only .50 cu box space.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MB-QUART-RLP304-12-600W-Car-Shallow-Slim-Mount-Subwoofer-Sub-Audio-Woofer/391046010998?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29266%26meid%3D75525a8aa2c844929440945d26fbd19a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D390955657978&rt=nc

Get notified of new replies

To Lack of Thump or distorted low end, from sub

Quick Reply: Lack of Thump or distorted low end, from sub