Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

In dash navigation / monitor

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:18 PM
weinerschizel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default In dash navigation / monitor

I'm looking for a nice setup that's reasonably priced. I went to best buy but they had VERY limited selection and the options I wanted were around 700$

I'm looking for a stereo head unit that has,

(1) GPS with dedicated antenna (no pig-backing off my cell phone) and (2) Bluetooth for hands free phone

Could care less about having a disk drive but usb port for charging and or loading songs would be great. Also if had WiFi to connect to home network would be awesome but not needed.

Any recommendations?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Call Dennis
Old 04-29-2015, 01:53 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

i would 2nd calling Dennis. He should be able to provide you some options that include all of the adapters that will be around that $700 price point. One thing to remember is that you will need more than just the headunit to go into a corvette, you will need a harness, adapter kit and potentially a steering wheel controller (if you have steering wheel controls that you want to preserve) Those pieces will add anywhere from $80 to $120 depending on what options you have in your car / etc.

Another benefit of contacting Dennis is that he will be able to prewire the harness for you to the point where the install is a much simpler task.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:11 PM
weinerschizel
Pro

Thanks for the reference.

I'm only looking to spend a few hundred bucks. This would be for my daily driver / Buick assuming there's commonality between quality of head units for corvettes & other GM cars. I will be installing it myself and am aware needed of wiring harness adapters.

Looking for product referrals, what have people used and liked...

These had actually caught my eye. They have good reviews on Amazon and are basically a Android computer in your dash with all kinds of cool features.

http://www.autopumpkin.com/

Anybody had experience with them? Or have something similar to recommend?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by weinerschizel

I'm only looking to spend a few hundred bucks. This would be for my daily driver / Buick assuming there's commonality between quality of head units for corvettes & other GM cars. I will be installing it myself and am aware needed of wiring harness adapters.

These had actually caught my eye. They have good reviews on Amazon and are basically a Android computer in your dash with all kinds of cool features.

There is a whole thread about these Android head units:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tallation.html

I purchased their quad core version (check near the end of that thread, I posted a link to it before I decided to pull the trigger). Keep in mind, though, if you go double-din you're going to spend a few hundred on the bezel + adapters, above and beyond the head unit, so you're still in the ~$600 price point.

I'll be installing mine this weekend most likely, but I do have it and can say the quality *appears* top notch. I haven't powered the unit on since I don't have the adapters yet, but all of the buttons and ***** have a quality, positive feel to them.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:20 AM
weinerschizel
Pro

Originally Posted by Trios
There is a whole thread about these Android head units:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tallation.html

I purchased their quad core version (check near the end of that thread, I posted a link to it before I decided to pull the trigger). Keep in mind, though, if you go double-din you're going to spend a few hundred on the bezel + adapters, above and beyond the head unit, so you're still in the ~$600 price point.

I'll be installing mine this weekend most likely, but I do have it and can say the quality *appears* top notch. I haven't powered the unit on since I don't have the adapters yet, but all of the buttons and ***** have a quality, positive feel to them.
Sweetnaz... that post is EXACTLY what I needed Thanks!

Wow, the adapters have come up in price signifcantly. Last stereo I installed was around 2001 in my Z28 Camaro. Was only a few bucks for the adapter
Old 04-30-2015, 12:55 AM
Trios
Drifting

Sweetnaz... that post is EXACTLY what I needed Thanks!

Wow, the adapters have come up in price signifcantly. Last stereo I installed was around 2001 in my Z28 Camaro. Was only a few bucks for the adapter
The problem isn't that the adapters are super expensive (although there is some additional cost due to interfacing with the Bose amplifier). The double-din console modification is the expensive part. Dennis at Double-D Mods can modify your bezel into a double-din bezel, but it's not cheap. Take it as I did with the speaker install kit, ash tray delete, and an upgrade to the XSVI-2004 (to keep the retained accessory power function, which keeps your radio on after you turn the motor off), and you're over $350 with shipping and handling.

Also, please keep in mind that the thread I linked you to is the installation instructions for a C6 vette. Your C5 will need different adapters, so don't take that thread as gospel for your car.

Best of luck with your upgrade!
Old 04-30-2015, 02:23 AM
weinerschizel
Pro

The problem isn't that the adapters are super expensive (although there is some additional cost due to interfacing with the Bose amplifier). The double-din console modification is the expensive part. Dennis at Double-D Mods can modify your bezel into a double-din bezel, but it's not cheap. Take it as I did with the speaker install kit, ash tray delete, and an upgrade to the XSVI-2004 (to keep the retained accessory power function, which keeps your radio on after you turn the motor off), and you're over $350 with shipping and handling.

Also, please keep in mind that the thread I linked you to is the installation instructions for a C6 vette. Your C5 will need different adapters, so don't take that thread as gospel for your car.

Best of luck with your upgrade!
Ah... awesome, I see what you're getting at. I made a post in a bit of a wrong spot, the radio is actually for my 2006 buick lucerne which already has a double din spot in the dash
Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 AM
Trios
Drifting

Ah... awesome, I see what you're getting at. I made a post in a bit of a wrong spot, the radio is actually for my 2006 buick lucerne which already has a double din spot in the dash
Ohhhh. Oh. I see. I saw you mentioned a Buick earlier, but I thought you were making a comparison or something, it wasn't very clear that you are intending on installing the head unit in that car.

The specifics of wiring it in to the Buick are going to be different than a Corvette. I think Dennis at Double D Mods can still help you out with adapters or at least would know where to point you.

Good luck, let us know what you go with and how it works for you!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:52 PM
1badazc6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thx

Originally Posted by markcz
Call Dennis
Mark, with yours and DD's priceless assistance...I got the Kenwood 992 to work properly....the remote wire advice worked; also the RP$ was bad....I sincerely thank you both
Old 05-05-2015, 07:38 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

IMO I would contact Dennis as suggested instead of this does not seem to be that much difference in price and if you need any support picking out the right unit, during install, or after the install Dennis is the best period.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:11 AM
Sengdemund
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarion-NX602-In-Dash-DVD-CD-Mp3-GPS-Navigation-Stereo-with-Bluetooth-/400907528328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d57f36888
Submit an offer and profit . Very nice unit, runs the same iGO nav as many other high end units.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Trios
Drifting

Yeah, no thanks. I wouldn't want to run something that hybridized; at least with an Android head unit, you can manage your apps and even install updated ROMs, etc.

Also, iGO sucks. I use Waze and/or Google Maps.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:07 AM
Sengdemund
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, no thanks. I wouldn't want to run something that hybridized; at least with an Android head unit, you can manage your apps and even install updated ROMs, etc.

Also, iGO sucks. I use Waze and/or Google Maps.
Well congrats for you! Miraculously my Bluetooth connected today, sound resembling "music" came out of the speakers when asked and my navigation that sucks took me right where I wanted to go which it has every time I've used it. Go figure...
Old 05-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Trios
Drifting

Well, my Bluetooth connected as well, sound resembling 'sports radio' came out of the speakers, and when asked my navigation not only took me to where I was going, it informed me that there was a cop on I-90 and that there was a vehicle stopped on the shoulder behind a blind turn.

I can also install any Android app I want on my head unit. Can you?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:27 PM
weinerschizel
Pro

Did any of you have onstar?

I am going to order one of these but want to rob the onstar Mic & antenna that's already on my roof.

Or at least I want to rob the antenna as it's in the PERFECT location.

Any tips?
Old 09-05-2015, 12:37 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Did any of you have onstar?

I am going to order one of these but want to rob the onstar Mic & antenna that's already on my roof.

Or at least I want to rob the antenna as it's in the PERFECT location.

Any tips?
I don't know what will happen in a Buick, but in a C6 the oem mic doesn't work very well with aftermarket HU's for some reason.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:44 AM
99dkblueconvertible
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Sterio upgrade will fit into a c5 convertible

I'm trying to upgrade my radio to a Sirius capable touch screen with Bluetooth and USB Capability. I'm told I can't get a 2din into the car.'s dash? Can you help? What will fit into my 99 convertible?
Old 09-08-2015, 12:24 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 99dkblueconvertible
I'm trying to upgrade my radio to a Sirius capable touch screen with Bluetooth and USB Capability. I'm told I can't get a 2din into the car.'s dash? Can you help? What will fit into my 99 convertible?
no 2 din will fit without modifications..
just call me or look here
www.doubledmods.com
for more info

Get notified of new replies

To In dash navigation / monitor

Quick Reply: In dash navigation / monitor