Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NEED HELP/ Totally new to this and wayyyy too much to read

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Randanky23
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP/ Totally new to this and wayyyy too much to read

Hey guys,
I have been searching through the pages and theres WAYYY too much information on everything...I am having trouble in my 08 C6 4LT Base Auto WITH BOSE...Right before I put the car away for the winter I started getting a noise from the driver door speaker like a constant "clicking" noise ALL THE TIME...The speaker would even make noise with the car off...Very weird to me so I decided to replace the speakers...That is where I started searching this forum...So I guess theres a tweeter and a woofer speaker in the doors...What are the best options to replace the speakers? What size are they? Do I need to run new wires or are they going to be plug and play? I was thinking about replacing the amp as well (under passenger footplate near fuse block?)...When I do this I think there is new wires and fuses to run to the battery I believe...I am totally new to this just looking for a few answers...Thanks alot and any information you can provide is greatly appreciated...Price of the speakers isn't a problem I'm just looking to get some good sound
Old 04-29-2015, 07:54 PM
outkast6991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Dennis at dd mods. He is a sponser and will set you up
Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I'd suggest calling Dennis also, but unless you're going to gut everything for aftermarket you should probably find the source of the noise before buying any replacement parts.

It could be a speaker, amp, or the radio itself.

Adjust fade/balance so only the front left is playing. Play with tone controls to isolate the noise to either the 3.5" at the top or the sub at the bottom of the door. If it's in both it's not the speakers.

If you isolate a speaker, easiest way to determine if it's the speaker itself is to swap it with the other side (or center dash if it's the 3.5).

If it isn't a speaker it will be a bit more difficult to isolate the radio or amp.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Randanky23
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to isolate it and it's there regardless of where you put the sound...Front back left right it doesn't matter...It's even there with the radio off...When the car goes into RAP retained accessory power its still there with ignition off and everything...Talk about aggrivating lol...I can definitely hear it from the driver door and driver door only though which made me want to replace door speakers...Thank you for the advice...Any chance you know Dennis's number? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

http://www.doubledmods.com/
Old 05-01-2015, 11:35 AM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

There is no possible speaker defect that would allow it to make noise in the absence of signal. If your speaker is making noise even if the car and radio are off, your problem is not the speaker.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:45 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by bobeast
There is no possible speaker defect that would allow it to make noise in the absence of signal. If your speaker is making noise even if the car and radio are off, your problem is not the speaker.
While this is true, in C6 the door chimes are generated by the radio, which actually turns on and triggers the amp as soon as a door is opened. The display and music don't fire up until the car is started, but the radio is definitely on and generating a signal.

Get notified of new replies

To NEED HELP/ Totally new to this and wayyyy too much to read

Quick Reply: NEED HELP/ Totally new to this and wayyyy too much to read