Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

c6 - new head unit but sound is subpar

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:35 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default c6 - new head unit but sound is subpar

So I just spent some serious dollars on a new touch screen NAV unit, a Kenwood DNX892. I got my setup from Dennis @ Double D mods. I am using the pre-amp out connections on the back of the unit with the supplied ground loop isolators.

Everything is working just fine...but....the sound is lack luster to say the least. I really don't have any bass, the configs on the head unit don't really have accurate speaker choices so I'm trying my best to tune, etc.

My fear is the overall answer I will get here is I will need to spend more money..new speakers and possible new amp (like a 5 channel, etc.) to get the sounds I'm looking for and to capitalize on the head unit that I have. Looking to see what other have done, etc

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, look forward to the responces /suggestions
Old 05-21-2015, 12:50 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

For now set EQ to off or Flat.

Turn off any frequency filters (HP/LP) so the full spectrum audio is coming out of front/rear RCA's. I believe on Kenwoods you need to pick 'thru' for no filters.

If it asks for speaker sizes, set fronts to 6" and rears to 5", and sub as not installed.

Make sure the gain adjustment isn't set as a negative number, maybe even turn it up a few on the positive side. Some HU's have a different gain or SLA setting for each input, make sure they're all set the same.

If all of that doesn't get it sounding at least as good as stock, then try removing the GLI's to rule out a bad set.

Post your results here
Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by markcz
For now set EQ to off or Flat.

Turn off any frequency filters (HP/LP) so the full spectrum audio is coming out of front/rear RCA's. I believe on Kenwoods you need to pick 'thru' for no filters.

If it asks for speaker sizes, set fronts to 6" and rears to 5", and sub as not installed.

Make sure the gain adjustment isn't set as a negative number, maybe even turn it up a few on the positive side. Some HU's have a different gain or SLA setting for each input, make sure they're all set the same.

If all of that doesn't get it sounding at least as good as stock, then try removing the GLI's to rule out a bad set.

Post your results here
I'll give this a try after work today. If the GLI are not used I get a constant hissing thru the speakers so I know they are good.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Brians1
So I just spent some serious dollars on a new touch screen NAV unit, a Kenwood DNX892. I got my setup from Dennis @ Double D mods. I am using the pre-amp out connections on the back of the unit with the supplied ground loop isolators.

Everything is working just fine...but....the sound is lack luster to say the least. I really don't have any bass, the configs on the head unit don't really have accurate speaker choices so I'm trying my best to tune, etc.

My fear is the overall answer I will get here is I will need to spend more money..new speakers and possible new amp (like a 5 channel, etc.) to get the sounds I'm looking for and to capitalize on the head unit that I have. Looking to see what other have done, etc

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, look forward to the responces /suggestions

call me if you need to but
there should be no reason it does not sound better than stock when all your settings are set correctly.
The radio has to be setup for the audio portion. Once you dial this in it will sound 100 times better. Go into Audio-EQ- then USER
Set the adjustments from there.
Then go into the other options in the Audio setup page(6 total icons) and you cna start adjusting everything even more.

Once you have these taken care of it will make a huge difference.

Dennis
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
call me if you need to but
there should be no reason it does not sound better than stock when all your settings are set correctly.
The radio has to be setup for the audio portion. Once you dial this in it will sound 100 times better. Go into Audio-EQ- then USER
Set the adjustments from there.
Then go into the other options in the Audio setup page(6 total icons) and you cna start adjusting everything even more.

Once you have these taken care of it will make a huge difference.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis - per what was suggested above, you agree with this?

"Turn off any frequency filters (HP/LP) so the full spectrum audio is coming out of front/rear RCA's. I believe on Kenwoods you need to pick 'thru' for no filters.

"

On this unit the 892 - it even asks if i have a sub compact, vs SUV, if i want to set sound level for High at head level of low for waist level, etc..do you have a whitepaper for default vette settings by chance?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:00 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Brians1
Thanks Dennis - per what was suggested above, you agree with this?

"Turn off any frequency filters (HP/LP) so the full spectrum audio is coming out of front/rear RCA's. I believe on Kenwoods you need to pick 'thru' for no filters.

"

On this unit the 892 - it even asks if i have a sub compact, vs SUV, if i want to set sound level for High at head level of low for waist level, etc..do you have a whitepaper for default vette settings by chance?
I know you asked Dennis that question but in my opinion what ever Markcz says, you better believe it.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EVRose
I know you asked Dennis that question but in my opinion what ever Markcz says, you better believe it.
Sure thing
And I hope that didn't come across as I was questioning the validity of the suggestion, just figured I would call it out again as there are so many configs that I can screw up lol
Old 05-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

well guys the good news is i went into user mode for the EQ and dialed it in to my liking...I have Bass now ! thanks for the suggestions
Old 05-21-2015, 11:07 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 PM
1badazc6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the goodest!

If you follow Marc & Dennis' advice; it will work. These guys are the bestest

Get notified of new replies

To c6 - new head unit but sound is subpar