Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C5 Aftermarket Headunit Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:31 PM
iHog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 Aftermarket Headunit Install

Hello everyone,

I read the C5 Audio FAQ thread, but most of the links that I clicked on for wiring harnesses/install kits are either broken or not available anymore. Just wanted to start this thread to ensure that I'm purchasing what is necessary to install an aftermarket head unit and retain my factory speakers. I have an aftermarket AMP and sub that I will add down the road, but for now it's only the head unit.

I found two products: http://shop.doubledmods.com/Corvette...nstall-kit.htm and http://shop.doubledmods.com/American...es-gwh-344.htm. This will cover the wiring harness, dash kit, and ROEM device.

All and all, purchasing these two products will make the install a simple plug and play, correct? I read that removing the factory Bose head unit you will need to source power from the footwell fuse box, and I'm a little confused about that whole process. I think that the ROEM device prevents sourcing additional power, but I could be wrong.

Thank you.

-Dylan
The following users liked this post:
mfi2000 (07-07-2019)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:14 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

If you install the aftermarket sub/amp/speakers now you don't need the ROEM

The plug in the second link isn't needed regardless.

To keep stock speakers get the ROEM kit (and nothing else). There isn't a switched power source in the stock radio harness, and the ROEM doesn't have a RAP source in it, so you need to get switched power from the footwell to turn the radio on/off with ignition.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:37 PM
smartadze
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
If you install the aftermarket sub/amp/speakers now you don't need the ROEM .
I'm getting ready to install a similar rig - the Aoem-vet1 allows BOTH the complete Bose system plus adding an aftermarket amp and speakers (and/or sub). The whole shebang is controlled by the Bose head unit volume ****.

BTW, the PacAudio stuff is much cheaper on Fleabay. A complete ROEM-vet1 kit is there now for $29 shipped.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:28 PM
iHog
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies everyone. Smartadze, with the Aoem-vet1 kit, do you still need to plug into the passenger footwell for additional power? That kit sounds like it suits me best because I can add my sub and amp at my own speed.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:10 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The AOEM is for adding an aftermarket amp to the stock radio, if you keep the Bose and add to it or if you gut the Bose and go full aftermarket amp/speakers doesn't matter, but you must keep the stock radio.

The ROEM is needed if you want to keep the stock speakers and install an aftermarket radio. It does not have a switched power wire, so you must get ignition power in the footwell. If you want to retain RAP and not have to wire in the footwall then get an XSVI-2004 instead of the ROEM, but that interface has issues sometimes (not as reliable as ROEM).

You don't need any interface if you do aftermarket radio AND aftermarket amp/speakers (all you need is power from footwell), but if you install the ROEM or XSVI now you can leave it in place when you swap from stock to aftermarket speakers.

DO NOT buy an AOEM if you're replacing the stock radio with aftermarket
Old 05-28-2015, 10:40 AM
smartadze
Instructor

Originally Posted by iHog
Smartadze, with the Aoem-vet1 kit, do you still need to plug into the passenger footwell for additional power? That kit sounds like it suits me best because I can add my sub and amp at my own speed.
The AOEM is for adding an aftermarket amp to the stock radio, if you keep the Bose and add to it or if you gut the Bose and go full aftermarket amp/speakers doesn't matter, but you must keep the stock radio. DO NOT buy an AOEM if you're replacing the stock radio with aftermarket
Quite correct - the AOEM keeps the stock head unit but adds any number of ADDITIONAL amps and speakers/subs. You see, the Bose system feeds a unique measly signal to it's speakers and the speakers are rated only for that signal - if you replace the head unit and/or feed normal amp power to Bose speakers, the results will be very poor (search the forum). Mark is correct - you should replace both the head unit and the Bose speakers for any decent result.

But THAT is where the AOEM steps in - you can let the entire Bose system wheeze along in all it's glory, but ADD additional amps and speakers to complement it, the whole shebang controlled by the head unit volume control. It is simple to add a 3-channel system in the rear package compartments (6x9 in each side compartment with amp and 12" sub in middle). The only hassle is running 4-gauge power to the rear - ground goes to a seat rear mounting bolt and turn-on comes from the AOEM (as do the RCA's - no footwell). Many new amps don't even need a turn-on signal.

So that's the rub - if one could just replace the head unit and keep the Bose speakers, it would be great - but that gives poor results because the Bose speakers are not compatible with normal signal. So unlike most any OEM stereo in the world, with the Bose you are faced with three choices: replace the ENTIRE system, replace the head unit and try to keep the Bose speakers (ROEM), or simply add a parallel system (AOEM).
Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
iHog
Intermediate

So basically it sounds like the way to go here is to replace......everything. If I were to get some aftermarket door speakers(I think I have a few lying around from previous vehicles), I'd still need to tap into the passenger footwell, right? But I wouldn't need any ROEM/AOEM products.

I'm sorry if I sound stupid, haha. It's just tough for me to grasp. My past vehicles it's just been as simple as replacing speakers, and head unit without any hesitation.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:08 PM
smartadze
Instructor

Originally Posted by iHog
So basically it sounds like the way to go here is to replace......everything. If I were to get some aftermarket door speakers(I think I have a few lying around from previous vehicles), I'd still need to tap into the passenger footwell, right? But I wouldn't need any ROEM/AOEM products.
Yes, except that the Bose speakers are ALSO unusual size and mount - I believe you will also need special adapters to fit door and rear locations (convertible). Best search the forum.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:47 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The stock 3.5" fronts and 6.5" rears (5.25" in vert, FRC, & Z06) are standard 4ohm speakers, they can handle any aftermarket HU just fine (they're just POS speakers). Keeping the Bose subs functional is why you need the ROEM (it converts the speaker level outputs to line level).

If you want to add an aftermarket amp for the fronts and rears, then you need speakers that can handle the power and a sub for the bass. Stockers can't handle too much power.

If you only want to replace the HU for now, get the ROEM or XSVI and you'll be fine with the stock speakers. Whenever you decide to do a complete sub/amp/speakers upgrade you'll have to replace everything at once. Doors are most commonly a 6.5" component set, rears are whatever size you have in coaxials, and a 10" sub in center compartment is perfect in C5.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:28 AM
smartadze
Instructor

The stock 3.5" fronts and 6.5" rears (5.25" in vert, FRC, & Z06) are standard 4ohm speakers, they can handle any aftermarket HU just fine (they're just POS speakers).
Respectfully, Mark - they sounded pretty awful to me - and I've had plenty of POS speakers :-). I could not get any decent sound out of them with an aftermarket head unit. This guy below couldn't either.

I just put the Bose head unit back in (sounds normal again) and am concentrating on a parallel system using the rca feeds from the AOEM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Aftermarket Headunit Install

Quick Reply: C5 Aftermarket Headunit Install