Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Speaker Ohms

Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Speaker Ohms

Hello all, Opinion please. I am waiting for 2 speakers to be returned on warranty. Would it be acceptable to use a couple of cheep 6 or 8 ohm bookshelf speakers temporarily? My system is a Retrosound H/U and 2 Memphis audio 300watt mini amps, one 4 channel amp for front/rear and a separate amp for sub. Speakers are 4 ohm system. Could damage result?
Thanks, Frank
Old 05-22-2015, 11:44 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

You should be fine using a higher ohm speaker than normal, it just won't be as loud.

If normal is 4ohms, and you have two 8ohm speakers available, connect them in parallel for a 4ohm load.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:21 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Thanks Mark. Will 2 8ohm speakers [per channel?] be safer in some way? How about 1 6ohm speaker connected to each channel? I can wait if there is any chance of damaging the system.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:48 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

2-8 ohm speakers per channel won't technically be any safer. As long as you're not pushing the system too hard, trying to get more output, the amp won't care if it's seeing 4 or 8 ohms (it just won't play at the same volume)

Which speakers are you temporarily replacing?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
2-8 ohm speakers per channel won't technically be any safer. As long as you're not pushing the system too hard, trying to get more output, the amp won't care if it's seeing 4 or 8 ohms (it just won't play at the same volume)

Which speakers are you temporarily replacing?
Thanks WA. The rears. I contacted the manufacturer. The tech said that it would be better to have 'higher impedence' speakers hooked up while I wait than the wires just hangin' . I think he said something about the amp over heating even tho I have the rears faded out. He said the even tho the fader is faded just to the fronts there is power going to the leads. Plus you DON'T want the wires to touch said he. So I have a couple bookshelf 6 ohm speakers to my rears for now .
Old 05-27-2015, 03:06 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah - definitely better to have something hooked up temporarily- I'm sure you would have taped off the bare wire ends, so they couldn't make contact, but techs always have to worry about that.

Hope you get your regular speakers back quickly.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:12 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

yeah - definitely better to have something hooked up temporarily- I'm sure you would have taped off the bare wire ends, so they couldn't make contact, but techs always have to worry about that.

Hope you get your regular speakers back quickly.
Thanks WA.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:58 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(it just won't play at the same volume)
?
not necessarily. you aren't factoring in the speakers sensitivity. I'm running 8 ohm drivers in my car and there just as loud as a lot of 4 ohm drivers.

regardless.. it's only temporary so he'll be safe

Get notified of new replies

To Speaker Ohms

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speaker Ohms