Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket Stereo Installation Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:17 PM
STL_Hokie
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo Installation Issue

I had a friend help with installing a Kenwood DNX572BH in my 2008 coupe this evening. I'm using the Bose speakers and haven't added any other speakers or amps, but we did use the PAC RP5-GM11 kit in order to keep On Star and steering wheel controls intact.

When we reconnected the battery, the stereo powered on just fine, the volume controls on the steering wheel work, and I was even able to sync with my iPHone via Bluetooth, but there is no sound at all coming out of the speakers. We even went back and forth between the amplified and non amplified setting on the PAC unit, but didn't have any luck. We also quadruple checked the crimps and cables to make sure everything lined up, which it did.

Has anyone seen this type of behavior using one of the PAC kits and, if so, any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Thanks in advance!
Glen
Old 07-09-2015, 08:20 AM
STL_Hokie
Instructor

Based on the responses in the C6 section, it looks like I need to connect the blue amplifier wire so I'll be giving that a try after work. We didn't think we needed that connected since I'm not adding an aftermarket amp, but I'm assuming the amplified speakers in the doors are treated as such.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by STL_Hokie
Based on the responses in the C6 section, it looks like I need to connect the blue amplifier wire so I'll be giving that a try after work. We didn't think we needed that connected since I'm not adding an aftermarket amp, but I'm assuming the amplified speakers in the doors are treated as such.
The C6 speakers are all powered off/run thru the stock C6 amp, which had a switched source from the radio. The stock amp won't turn on if you don't send it a signal, and therefore you get no sound.

This is probably the #1 issue with C6 installs.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:01 AM
STL_Hokie
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
The C6 speakers are all powered off/run thru the stock C6 amp, which had a switched source from the radio. The stock amp won't turn on if you don't send it a signal, and therefore you get no sound.

This is probably the #1 issue with C6 installs.
I'm admittedly not the most savvy with car audio but, in retrospect, that makes perfectly good sense. Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:24 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

You need to connect the HU blue/white wire in one of two places. The loose blue wire on the RP5 (as instructions should say), or connect it to the wire at pin B3 of the 24 pin plug. Some interface adapters can't handle the current draw of the C6 system, which causes the trigger to the stock amp to eventually fail if you connect directly to the blue wire without a relay on the output side, so connecting at B3 is an alternative, but I believe the PAC adapters are OK with using the blue wire.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:13 AM
STL_Hokie
Instructor

Originally Posted by markcz
You need to connect the HU blue/white wire in one of two places. The loose blue wire on the RP5 (as instructions should say), or connect it to the wire at pin B3 of the 24 pin plug. Some interface adapters can't handle the current draw of the C6 system, which causes the trigger to the stock amp to eventually fail if you connect directly to the blue wire without a relay on the output side, so connecting at B3 is an alternative, but I believe the PAC adapters are OK with using the blue wire.
It took a little experimenting with blue and blue/white wires but the blue/white to blue/white did the trick. Thanks again for the great advice!

Glen
Old 07-11-2015, 12:22 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Glad you got it working.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Stereo Installation Issue

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo Installation Issue